Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Realism Of The Brakk Nerf Is Awesome. De Should Make It More Widespread.

413X

The thing is, though, these weapons are aiming towards being balanced within their respective tiers. Whilst Brakk may have been hit a little hard, it's quite possible that it may be revisited in the future. Braton Vandal was changed around 3 or 4 times before it was more or less settled.

Weapons like the Acrid and the Brakk have had the capability within their respective damage systems to excel well beyond the means of other weapons, to the point where not having one is considered in some circles to be a detriment to your team in the scaling missions, whereas any other weapons will suit you perfectly fine in pretty much any other environment or gametype.

The game should not be balanced around reaching farther and farther within Defense and Survival, which is essentially all that will occur when you decide to buff every other weapon, because they all fit well enough into the level scaling system as they currently stand. Those "OP" weapons were clear and extreme outliers. Bringing them back into line with everything else is going to happen from time to time.

Edited by Azure_Kyte

-snip-

They chose to listen to the people who complained about how good the brakk was. Sucks, I spent 5 formas on mine. It was a reliable weapon for endgame content. But now, just as shotguns, I don't see a reason to bring it with me. I'm currently at a loss when choosing a loadout, because I really can't say I like any of the weapons at my disposal. There is nothing much to do but wait for the next batch of weapons, and hope theres something that will catch my eye, cuz right now... Eh...

-snip-

Its starting to look like personal preference doesnt matter anymore, that if you like this weapon, TOO BAD, it will get nerfed. I didnt just like the brakk for its awesome supportive ability, I like it because it was an event weapon, it was a weapon that I can rely on, and trust that it will get the job done if I was to ever run out of ammo on my primary weapons. Now, its just a 5 round shotgun puff shooter, unreliable, and the range is horrid. People complain about shotguns sniping other snipers, well when you are about 200 meters away, and you have a slug round it wont be that hard to miss m8. It would be impressive if you could snipe someone, that is 1000 meters away with a shotgun. 

The average velocity of a shotgun slug round is around 1300-1900 feet per second, that is 396 - 579 meters, these are real life measurements, but there is no room in the ingame maps that is large enough to go that length, and in the furture arnt guns suppose to be more POWERFUL than current day weapons?

as for buckshot rounds, well this chart will tell you what shotgun rounds are like now, today.

results1.jpg

so current day shotguns, basically outperform furturistic weapons, that were built to kill things, that is it, were not here to just say sorry to the grineer, corpus, or the infected. We are here to kill them in a cold, painful, heartstopping way. because if a pellet is traveling 300+ meters a second hits you, even with armor on, you WILL feel it.

Edited by GhostUnitVII

The game should not be balanced around reaching farther and farther within Defense and Survival, which is essentially all that will occur when you decide to buff every other weapon, because they all fit well enough into the level scaling system as they currently stand. Those "OP" weapons were clear and extreme outliers. Bringing them back into line with everything else is going to happen from time to time.

This game has nothing else to provide, aside from "endless endless defense" and survival, as an endgame content. (When you have every gun and frame, all the planets/nodes unlocked, what else is left to do? Decorate the dojo?) Why is it even possible to go beyond certain wave on def or certain time limit on survival? If it's not "endgame", just put a hard wave limit, and a hard survival time limit, so the mission will just end.

What i meant to say is that mastery should give you the guns for the endgame, not "lazer show apparatus" or a "fart gas spray" for a ridiculous price.

As for the "realism" in this game... Space ninjas and "they're" magic? Nano-infections? "Breaking a window" on a spaceship and getting slow  shield/health damage vs flying away effortlessly while just grabbing to the extraction ship's hull?

And shotgun falloff shouldn't be there. You're not shooting baloons out of that barrel, that loose velocity quickly. I'm all for spread increase. Or just map scale increase, so it won't be all CQB, and those sniper and marksman rifles will become useful, at least at/for something. The damage falloff and many other "wonderfull" mechanics of this game are just crutches, really.

Edited by Myocarde

Realistic, my &#!. Shotgun pellets don't turn into poofy feather dusters at 20m from the barrel. They hurt less, but they still hurt like hell.

The reason why shotguns do little damage at long range is mainly because of spread, not falloff. Fewer pellets hitting = less damage.

The Brakk nerf is unrealistic, and makes it annoying to use at medium ranges while leaving its real issues (stupidly high DPS at point-blank) completely unaddressed. Its base damage needs to be reduced, not its effective range.

Edited by SortaRandom

Realistic, my &#!. Shotgun pellets don't turn into poofy feather dusters at 20m from the barrel. They hurt less, but they still hurt like hell.

The reason why shotguns do little damage at long range is mainly because of spread, not falloff. Fewer pellets hitting = less damage.

The Brakk nerf is unrealistic, and makes it annoying to use at medium ranges while leaving its real issues (stupidly high DPS at point-blank) completely unaddressed. Its base damage needs to be reduced, not its effective range.

THANK YOU some one actually got it!!!! dam whiners are so dam $&*&*#(%& its sad, spread is its own damage fall off, it makes no sense to add another fall off, yeh maybe after 90 meters, but 10-20 meters? really? If i was that close to a person, with a shotgun pistol that fired like the brakk, it would just put a huge hole though them, and plaster his/her face with pepper.

Edited by GhostUnitVII

This game has nothing else to provide, aside from "endless endless defense" and survival, as an endgame content. (When you have every gun and frame, all the planets/nodes unlocked, what else is left to do? Decorate the dojo?) Why is it even possible to go beyond certain wave on def or certain time limit on survival? If it's not "endgame", just put a hard wave limit, and a hard survival time limit, so the mission will just end.

What i meant to say is that mastery should give you the guns for the endgame, not "lazer show apparatus" or a "fart gas spray" for a ridiculous price.

I definitely agree with you with the first part. I also agree with you guys where Shotgun damage fall-off is silly. But let's be realistic here. Rebalancing was going to happen. There is no sense in breaking the standards of the rest of the game for the sole advantage of Endless Survival and Defense. If a weapon greatly outperforms everything else, then it's going to be scaled back until it's reasonably placed for their intentions. Brakk should be a high-tier weapon, no disputes there. But when it greatly outperformed every other high-tier weapon, that's the point where I guess people noticed. As I said, Damage falloff is silly, and I think the Brakk should still be changed to work without that mechanic. But a change did need to occur.

As I said, I think the Brakk should still be monitored and changed in places where applicable. Made to feel like a good weapon, without casting a dramatic shadow on everything else or being overshadowed by everything else. One point to consider amidst all this drama is that DE also needs to balance things in such a way that players still want to use and try out different content. It does them no good to make a weapon that's so great that nobody wants to try or use anything else. That cripples them both financially and creatively.

I'm not sure where your lines of "realism" came into my quote, you may have just been posting that separate to your reply to me, so I'll leave that alone.

In regards to actually making challenging content for your stuff, what we really could do with is some content that scaled to your equipment, rather than being based on static numbers. There is nowhere to make use of your best of the best stuff outside of scaling missions. That way, we might be able to play some fun matches with other gametypes, instead of strolling through a yawnfest in your maxed out gear.

Edited by Azure_Kyte

I definitely agree with you with the first part. ...

Would like to thank you for your input on the problem, and thank you for a good discussion as well.

I also agree that Brakk was a go-to weapon for any faction (just switch the mod loadout and shred through another mission). It was a strong weapon, maybe to the point of being overpowered. But what they did to it is not balancing, it's crippling. The game being in beta state is not an argument, and not an excuse for such a change. Like the people responsible were stoned or drunk when altering the gun's stats.

What the developers do for the game, is altering the guns to suit the existing CQB playstyle. So, we should use shotguns and machineguns for 0-5 meters distance, assault rifles for 5-10 meters, marksman rifles for 10-15 and sniper rifles for 15-20 meters. This game should be about blind people fighting against hordes of midgets. (Yes, either increase the distances or "shrink" the enemies).

Edited by Myocarde

As for the "realism" in this game... Space ninjas and "they're" magic? Nano-infections? "Breaking a window" on a spaceship and getting slow  shield/health damage vs flying away effortlessly while just grabbing to the extraction ship's hull?

And shotgun falloff shouldn't be there. You're not shooting baloons out of that barrel, that loose velocity quickly. I'm all for spread increase. Or just map scale increase, so it won't be all CQB, and those sniper and marksman rifles will become useful, at least at/for something. The damage falloff and many other "wonderfull" mechanics of this game are just crutches, really.

No. No to power creep.

Mastery should provide more exclusivity and not OP weapons for no-sense armor/health scaling. Difficulty should be scaled in different way e.g. No ammo pick ups, no orbs, AI, enemy loadout, elite units etc. e.g. Stalker. Where skill is more involved.

Each technological advancement in weaponary has a saturation in scaling based on tech level. So what really matters is the tech level. In case of Warframe Lore it is Orokin and Clan tech (with Forma involved). This is a top of the cake lorewise, anything else is OP.

Therefor end game should be optimized.

So current end game is T3 def. Wave X and enemy lvl Y in survival is just an addition to the game, without any lore or logic. This scalibg exists only for people to test the saturation curve of their guns. Nothing more and nothing less.

No. No to power creep.

Mastery should provide more exclusivity and not OP weapons for no-sense armor/health scaling. Difficulty should be scaled in different way e.g. No ammo pick ups, no orbs, AI, enemy loadout, elite units etc. e.g. Stalker. Where skill is more involved.

Each technological advancement in weaponary has a saturation in scaling based on tech level. So what really matters is the tech level. In case of Warframe Lore it is Orokin and Clan tech (with Forma involved). This is a top of the cake lorewise, anything else is OP.

So current end game is T3 def. Wave X and enemy lvl Y in survival is just an addition to the game, without any lore or logic. This scalibg exists only for people to test the saturation curve of their guns. Nothing more and nothing less.

Again, this thread is not about Brakk nerf specifically. It's about the damage falloff mechanic. And on the balancing issue specifically in regards to damage falloff as applied to shotguns, let me just quote myself from an earlier post.

Considering that the point of this thread is the damage falloff mechanic (which applies to all shotguns and Brakk and seemingly is slated to be applied to ALL pistol shotguns) and poking fun at the "it's for realism" apologists, I don't think it's just Myocarde's post that has got you confused.

Just to remind you in case you have forgotten. the "Brakk Nerf" consisted of 3 things:

1. Changing from an equal distribution between all 3 physical damage types to favour Impact damage (no longer a gun for all scenarios),

2. Increased pellet spread

3. Damage falloff

The point of this thread is to talk specifically about item 3 not just in terms of Brakk but all shotguns, interspersed with numerous digs at the "It's For Realism" apologists, as I mentioned earlier. Yes, there is someone who posted "un-nerf the Brakk", but that could have also been meant as "remove Damage Falloff", I can't be sure since I am no mind reader.

And as I did sort of cover (somewhat sarcastically) in my very first post, nerfing things to the ground is not balancing a game either. You'll just end up with a game where people are good at beginning to late middle-tier levels and get slaughtered on the really high level content.

Balancing a game should not be just about tweaking weapon stats. That's a childishly simplistic view You can also balance a game by opening up some levels into shooting galleries where Corpus enemies can fill the air with ten billion beams of hot laser death from the distance and any tenno trying to pick them off with pellet-spread shotguns is going to deplete their entire ammo supply and maybe kill three or five. A distance where an iron-skinned rhino trying to charge and close the distance for optimal shotgun use is going to be skinned alive and then broiled alive. That would conceivably make sniper rifles, or even automatic rilfes with the increased zoom mod, preferable over shotguns. Of course, some may suggest that Frost and his prime counterpart would own such a map regardless by just snowglobing across... that's what anti-moas and their shockwave bolts are for.

Of course, the goal of a balanced game is not to make it so that you can only win by bringing a sniper rifle. Frost should still be able to use mods to make a really big snowglobe that can keep him safe from anti-moa fire while standing in the exact middle or thereabouts. Of course, such a large snowglobe is going to easily allow uninvited guests inside where they can freely open fire on Frostie. Decisions, decisions.

Similarly, there should be enough cover for Rhino to make it to the other side with a Brakk if he really wants to. but only by taking so much time that any tenno with sniper rifles/rifles with zoom mods could have picked off most of the enemy already. Rhino can be a glorified cleaning lady and clear up the dregs. :D

Invi frames like Loki and Ash would still be broken though. Hmm.... well, I suppose the devs could always come up with something suitable unpleasant in the form of a new enemy type to hunt them down, mwaha.

EDIT: just had a thought for anti-invisibility unit. Maybe a corpus equivalent of grineer informer. Cloaked, but then uncloaks periodically to send out a scanning burst in a radius around it. That way the invisible frames can't kill it ahead of hand, and have only like maybe 1-2 seconds to shoot it down after it uncloaks before it blows their cover. Mwhaahahhahahahahahaha... 

EDIT: Actually, looking back at my suggestion of the shooting gallery, Trinity's blessing could really ruin that arrangement. Hmm....

FURTHER EDIT: Speaking of balancing, does anyone from Closed Beta Testing remember how they balanced the "OP"-ness of weapons by making the weapon ammo really rare (not to mention that ammo drops at the beginning were already super scarce on top of the limited number of Energy Globes). This meant that a player REALLY had to think before using any abilities or firing shotguns or sniper rifles because every shot had to count. Soloing a high level infested map and having Lotus tack on an extra spy mission after you've expended all ammo from your snipetron pseudo-shotgun on chargers was no joke.

Ammo mutation mods from slingstone event kind of ruined that arrangement though. But I guess enough people Q.Q'ed about it to get ammo drops made more plentiful. I guess there are some benefits to complaining about event-exclusive only mods.

Edited by 413X

No. No to power creep.

Well, in some other, perfect game - maybe. Just tell me if you know at least one such game, i'll quit Warframe to play it.

I was talking about the game at it's current state, not some "land of make-believe co-op shooter with cookies".

If the initial game design considered all weapons to be just sidegrades, there would be no mob level increase and all the weapon/warframe mods would just add bubbles/smoke/sparks to your actions/items. This game is not Team Fortress 2.

Lore? Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha. Ha-ha. Ha. What lore?

Couldn't care less myself about the lore. Or logic, for that matter. Any sort of logic.

If you want lore and t3 def that's fine with me, play it. I want my endless survival fun. Because that's where teamwork, tactics and coordination start to really matter.

Think in terms of the existing game and it's features, and not what you wish it to be.

Well, in some other, perfect game - maybe. Just tell me if you know at least one such game, i'll quit Warframe to play it.

I was talking about the game at it's current state, not some "land of make-believe co-op shooter with cookies".

I agree on that. Would be interesting to hear from Steve or generally from DE in which direction game will be developed.

To bad I have no access to Design Council. As Masters you have a better way to communicate with DE, you guys should take a proper use of that.

Recently I learned that the best thing you can do is keep an eye on the forums and see what people are crying OP about. Once you find that out just find something else to use.

Nerfing the game to the ground, one mod/weapon/power/frame/mechanic at a time.

Wake me up when Warframe becomes a game of Chess.

I'm fairly certain 99% of people on these forums would have more fun when playing Chess anyway.

So true.

But people... seriously, exclusive content in no way shape or form ever trivialize pre-existing content. I mean, most of the "QQ" you speak of was from people who just wanted to see the game get balanced. 

However I cannot say I agree with the way it was nerfed, but I think damage falloff for shotguns needs to be in place, or else you would never use anything but shotguns because they would have better DPS. Unless spread scaled exponentially, I cannot see spread working either.

So true.

But people... seriously, exclusive content in no way shape or form ever trivialize pre-existing content. I mean, most of the "QQ" you speak of was from people who just wanted to see the game get balanced. 

However I cannot say I agree with the way it was nerfed, but I think damage falloff for shotguns needs to be in place, or else you would never use anything but shotguns because they would have better DPS. Unless spread scaled exponentially, I cannot see spread working either.

It's not event-exclusive weapons trivializing old weapons/frames, it's DEs complete inability to bring the older weapons/frame up to snuff. It was Scott or Steve that said they wanted weapons in Tiers, so exclusive weapons will be the top of a tier until the next tier is introduced, then it's the cycle all over again.

I wouldn't mind using, say, the LEX more often if it could fire a little quicker and have a shorter reload without heavy investment in mods. Hell, I'd use the Twin Vipers if they were properly updated to be in line with guns currently released.

So true.

Why shouldn't spread increase as the distance increases? That right there is what I and a few other posters have been saying is the "proper" fix for shotguns. Use spread mechanics to invalidate shotgun sniping. Even with those shotguns that emphasise tighter spread, trying for a headshot at any significant distance should mean maybe 1 or 2 pellets hitting while the rest of the metal cloud whizz past.

Shotguns = body shots only at range, whereas Rifles = headshots still ok in controlled fire (like Soma's 1st-shot mechanic) or short bursts. May need to buff the rifle bullet damage to balance it out further, but IMO that's actually needed considering the number of bullets it takes to kill LVL 70+ heavies with most non-sniper rifles even with mostly headshots right now.

I agree on that. Would be interesting to hear from Steve or generally from DE in which direction game will be developed.

To bad I have no access to Design Council. As Masters you have a better way to communicate with DE, you guys should take a proper use of that.

Sadly, design council is just a place where the developers ask about something they intend to add to the game in the upcoming patch. To give an example: it's a vote on "do you like the slightly redder X or slightly blueish Y for a weapon skin", at best. So, no actual game-breaking decisions are made there. People can't start topics there, only post in the existing ones, and DE are still responsible for where this game is headed to, design-wise.

You can try suggesting something in the player design ideas subforum, but it'll sink really fast under all those "LUK I DRW A POTETO WURFRAIM DAT 100% DEFFO MUSS BE INDAGAME" and the authors of said topics upping them on the page like crazy. Sadly, the forums do not alow a downvote.

That's genius. Make missions scaled to your equips. DE should really think about this idea...

Don't really know about this. Game should give a feeling of progression. Especially this sort of game. It's just a grinder, nothing to it. It has no quests, no npcs, no characters, no story to keep players attention. So, to keep players interested, it should give more new, more powerful shinies, because it's based mostly around new abilities and weapons, it's loot-driven, upgrade-driven, if you like this description better. You get mods to make your gun more powerful, you get new gun, slightly better. Go, kill a boss, get a better warframe. Potato it, potato your slightly better gun. Game finished. What else to do?

Yeah, that idea about equipment scaling I wouldn't recommend for the entire game. At best I'd make it a planet or something off the beaten track, With no unique prizes.

It'd be there purely for the ability to face an immediate challenge against foes suitable for your equipment. I made a basic algorithm based on Conclave, but since that's based on PvP ability it's slightly biased.

//Yay Pseudocode. if (algorithmPlanet.isSelected){    useEquipmentAlgorithmonLoad();}else{    checkEnemyLevelRangeonLoad();} //Basic Equipment Algorithm Comparing all player's conclave behind the scenes. //You'd use a switch or more if() conditionals here.//levelMultiplier is used to make enemies stronger depending on how many players are in-game. 1 player = 0.75; 2 players = 1.25; 3 players = 1.5; 4 players = 1.75.if (getNumPlayers() == 1){    levelMultiplier = 0.75;    totalRating = Player1.getConclave;}if (getNumPlayers() == 2){    levelMultiplier = 1.25;    totalRating = Player1.getConclave() + Player2.getConclave();}if (getNumPlayers() == 3){    levelMultiplier = 1.5;    totalRating = Player1.getConclave() + Player2.getConclave() + Player3.getConclave();}if (getNumPlayers() == 4){    levelMultiplier = 1.75;    totalRating = Player1.getConclave() + Player2.getConclave() + Player3.getConclave() + Player4.getConclave();} //Depending on the number of players, level scaling would still apply to a degree. More players = higher enemy levels.//Also take note that 25 and 20 in the calculations below are arbitrary numbers I chose because it seemed to make things relatively balanced. They could be changed to adjust the level range at any time. minLevel = Math.Ceiling((totalRating / getNumPlayers) / 25 * levelMultiplier);maxLevel = Math.Ceiling((totalRating / getNumPlayers) / 20 * levelMultiplier); Mission.setMinLevel(minLevel);Mission.setMaxLevel(maxLevel);

So what could this do? Well, if it were applied to a single optional/additional planet, it would do as follows:

Suppose 4 players want to play a mission, and their conclave amounts to 3000 between them. It averages out the Conclave Rating between the four, and sets a minimum and maximum level based on that information.

3000 / 4 = 750 average Conclave Rating

from here, it divides that rating by 25 for the minimum level, and 20 for the maximum level. These are arbitrary numbers, but they seem to work well enough from what I've tested.

750 / 25 = 30

750 / 20 = 37.5

Okay, so the level range at this point is around 30-37, if it were to round down. The game now accounts for the number of players, in this case, 4. It multiplies that value by 1.75.

30 * 1.75 = 52.5

37.5 * 1.75 = 65.625

The game then rounds up in this scenario to land upon a set level range for players to fight against.

Minimum Level = 53

Maximum Level = 66

A second example, using 2 players:

Suppose 2 players want to play a mission, and their conclave amounts to 1000 between them. It averages out the Conclave Rating between the two, and sets a minimum and maximum level based on that information.

1000 / 2 = 500 average Conclave Rating

from here, it divides that rating by 25 for the minimum level, and 20 for the maximum level. These are arbitrary numbers, but they seem to work well enough from what I've tested.

500 / 25 = 20

500 / 20 = 25

Okay, so the level range at this point is around 20-25. The game now accounts for the number of players, in this case, 2. It multiplies that value by 1.25.

20 * 1.25 = 25

25 * 1.25 = 31.25

The game then rounds up in this scenario to land upon a set level range for players to fight against.

Minimum Level = 25

Maximum Level = 32

A third example, using 1 player:

Suppose 1 player wants to play a mission, and their conclave is 1000.

1000 average Conclave Rating

500 / 25 = 40

500 / 20 = 50

Okay, so the level range at this point is 40-50. The game now accounts for the number of players, in this case, 1.

40 * 0.75 = 30

50 * 0.75 = 37.5

Minimum Level = 30

Maximum Level = 38

One last example, using 4 players with really high-end equipment:

Suppose 4 players want to play a mission, and their conclave is 6000 all up.

6000 / 4 = 1500 average Conclave Rating

1500 / 25 = 60

1500 / 20 = 75

Okay, so the level range at this point is 60-75. The game now accounts for the number of players, in this case, 4.

60 * 1.75 = 105

75 * 1.75 = 131.25

Minimum Level = 105

Maximum Level = 132

The numbers could do with a little tweaking, I know. But this is merely a representation of how a system could work.

Realism is such a ugly word. Games aren't real you know?

The brakk nerf was really harsh given how many people made that weapon their mainstray and applied multiple forma to it. It's nerf doesnt make much sense unless the brakk and corpus pistol are going to be finally released.

Yeah, that idea about equipment scaling I wouldn't recommend for the entire game. At best I'd make it a planet or something off the beaten track, With no unique prizes.

It'd be there purely for the ability to face an immediate challenge against foes suitable for your equipment. I made a basic algorithm based on Conclave, but since that's based on PvP ability it's slightly biased.

It's a cool idea, it can be impelmented for alerts, since they're all random anyways, to make them doable with any eqipment. Just count in a difficulty multiplier, so "some cash alert" would be easier than "a lot of cash and a blueprint" one.

Edited in: Difficulty should affect mob level and quantity of mobs spawning per wave.

Edited by Myocarde