Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sound Engine Overhaul

noveltyhero

I think it's about time DE overhauls the sound system to feel and sound more alive. Here are the points that mainly need improving (stuff I have noticed in-game):

Directional Staging: I have a 5.1 setup with 7.1 virtualisation. In games like BF3/BF4/Arma 2/DayZ I can hear people really well, where they are and what they are doing. However, in this game my setup feels useless. Without the visual indicator that I'm being attacked from behind I generally wouldn't know it. Not sure what technical information to provide here but the staging should be improved.

Bass: This is one thing that is missing from this game. There are so many sounds that have low pitch noises almost trying to gimmick bass however it is not bass itself. It sounds flat; improve the bass overall and the music/special effects will sound gorgeous.

Map  Staging and Echo: I felt like this deserved its own bullet point. The game needs some echo, big rooms feel small because of this. I don't mean crazy amount of echo to ruin the game just a bit so that if you fire your Vectis in a very large map you could hear the shot/bullet traveling along the outskirts. Also map staging, as in the sounds respond and change according to the environment. I noticed that if your camera is under-water when you fire the sound is muffled; very nice improvement but we need more. The material you attack should have different sounds; wood/metal/water etc.

Doppler Effect: I love the doppler effect. It is easy, we need this.

Comment what you think and tell me if you have any more additions to add as I will update the post.

****My graphics engine overhaul: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/152564-graphics-engine-overhaul

Edited by noveltyhero

Really good suggestions. The way sounds change based on location is really good at first glance but when you properly pay attention its kind of thin and doesn't work well at all on better sound setups. More effects/reverb/definitely more bass are all really good suggestions. My headphones are great for bass even the taiko drums fail to hit any really lower frequency and never feel quite big enough.

Really good suggestions. The way sounds change based on location is really good at first glance but when you properly pay attention its kind of thin and doesn't work well at all on better sound setups. More effects/reverb/definitely more bass are all really good suggestions. My headphones are great for bass even the taiko drums fail to hit any really lower frequency and never feel quite big enough.

It also needs a lot of customization. Who knows, could they (over time because it costs money) get access to Dolby Digital API? That would be amazing, it would do this game wonders and it could easily compete with Battlefield and Crysis.