The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Loki? Maybe Not The Best Choice For Starters?

(PSN)P4NCH0theD0G

My mom plays a loki. Completely new to this game, but not gaming in general, and I have sat back and watched her clear entire rooms by herself with just invisibility. Nice tip with the switch teleport when two guys are close to each other btw, will have to pass it along.

I'm kind of happy with loki as a starter because it gives us a clear stealth based character for those of us that like that sort of challenge.
Specially in a game where we are supposed to be, Niiinjjaaaaa's iinnnnn sppacceeee.

It also gives a semi decent support role character that can get to people that are downed and revive them while still invisible,
bring a single target towards the rest of the party, making it so only one of the party takes the risk of pulling a group of enemies.
A risk which is negated if the loki has enough energy to go invis before or just after the pull.

Personally I'd like to see trinity as the third choice, just to have more of a early healer/support role, but not going to complain so much after seeing loki in action.  Also the game does give a disclaimer that he isn't for novices.

My mom plays a loki. Completely new to this game, but not gaming in general, and I have sat back and watched her clear entire rooms by herself with just invisibility. Nice tip with the switch teleport when two guys are close to each other btw, will have to pass it along.

I'm kind of happy with loki as a starter because it gives us a clear stealth based character for those of us that like that sort of challenge.

Specially in a game where we are supposed to be, Niiinjjaaaaa's iinnnnn sppacceeee.

It also gives a semi decent support role character that can get to people that are downed and revive them while still invisible,

bring a single target towards the rest of the party, making it so only one of the party takes the risk of pulling a group of enemies.

A risk which is negated if the loki has enough energy to go invis before or just after the pull.

Personally I'd like to see trinity as the third choice, just to have more of a early healer/support role, but not going to complain so much after seeing loki in action.  Also the game does give a disclaimer that he isn't for novices.

Personally, I'd like to see OBERON as the third choice.  Considering how Trinity is supposed to be a true healer and Oberon is supposed to be a jack of all trades healer/attacker.

Excaliber, Oberon, Loki.  Personally, that would be the ideal starter set.  You'd have a standard sword class, a healer/mage class, and a stealth class. (Though I'm not quite sure yet how hard oberon will be to use)

I love my trinity, but ever since I posted my build and started using it with pubs, I've been seeing a lot of people with my build.

Edited by (PS4)ariaandkia

I would have suggested Oberon except, he's expensive. Mag isn't the cheapest bracket of frames in the store- but it is on the cheaper end. Like Trinity.

Also- Excalibur and Loki are pretty ironed out- and well balanced in comparison to other warframes, Oberon is still a baby, and needs his tweak time.

Personally, I'd like to see OBERON as the third choice.  Considering how Trinity is supposed to be a true healer and Oberon is supposed to be a jack of all trades healer/attacker.

Excaliber, Oberon, Loki.  Personally, that would be the ideal starter set.  You'd have a standard sword class, a healer/mage class, and a stealth class. (Though I'm not quite sure yet how hard oberon will be to use)

I love my trinity, but ever since I posted my build and started using it with pubs, I've been seeing a lot of people with my build.

Making a loki right meow.....cant wait to invizi crit with my galatine for 70k

*Cough* not to change the subject, but I can 70k crit with my Vectis on Gineer, 10k-50k  on Corpus and about 20k on Infested. *cough* but I have tested this since Loki was my starter frame. I'd hit 13k+ crits while in Invisibility essentailly 1HKOing level 30-40 enemies. I'm curious how the Glaive/Prime works when you beef up its charged attack/slide attack.

Glaive is 1HKO if you hit the enemy from invis too. I have both normal and prime, but only normal is at lvl 30 already.

I sometimes even take Glaive for infested, when I feel like not letting them close.

I think elements what matter here. When I make my Galatine gas it starts hitting infested for 100K+ crits. I don't feel like it's needed though, unless you go vs 40+ ancients - then it's needed to guarantee 1 hit kill.

I chose Loki to start out with well aware that it said "for the advanced player" now i wasn't an advanced player but I well knew the "consequences" of choosing this guy to start off with even though I had never played this game before but I knew still because of similar games who offer you a choice similar to this. More of a challenge and more difficult and that's what I wanted. I found myself taking cover a lot and relying on decoy,rifle/pistol skills and melee and I enjoyed myself it was fun. Still is. I guess my point is there's nothing wrong with him as a starting character but do know it says for the advanced player and know what your getting into.

I started as Loki, and I thought it was pretty terrible. I realized the potential of the skillset, but until you have the proper mods and equipment, hes nearly useless.  I get the fact that it might make you a better player, but it certainly earned me no friends when I was doing single digit damage percentage at the end of missions.  If you want strong and powerful right out of the gate, he is clearly choice #3.  5 seconds invis with a skana or 7 second decoy don't really compare to what the others do.  I personally feel Mag or Excalibur is the way to go, Mag if you want strongest/easiest. By the time you can earn Loki (on Neptune I think?) you will have all the required mods and weaponry you need to really use him to his fullest.  The great thing about Loki is his abilities "grow" with him since they don't do damage.

If you are an experienced player AT WARFRAME, perhaps hes not as bad of a starter character.  Obviously you are still going to be garbage at killing large numbers of enemies in defense, mobile defense, survival etc. But as a pure noob, its definitely one to steer clear of.  Those first few hours are painful, and it is that first impression that really determines if people keep playing a game or not.  If you are worried about waiting till neptune to get him, you can just drop the 75 plat on him with a reactor and warframe slot free.  Essentially costing you only 35 plat, because he is definitely a frame you want to get the reactor on.

If you are worried about waiting till neptune to get him, you can just drop the 75 plat on him with a reactor and warframe slot free.  Essentially costing you only 35 plat, because he is definitely a frame you want to get the reactor on.

That's exactly how I think of him, you also don't have to waste a Ookin Cell, the credits, time, and other resources to make him. Any Warframe worth 75 plat is well worth the purchase.

What this all boils down to in the end, is that Loki was given a proper disclaimer when given the choice between the three starters. The only frame that could really fill his shoes as a starter is Ash, and if your replacing loki with ash as a starter, what was the point? To give a damage skill?

I would be more sympathetic to not having loki as a starter, if Warframe didn't give you an additional free slot, and 150 P for NA Ps4 + members. It's a simple thing to buy Volt instead, if you really feel put out by your choice. Not to mention, unless your having NAT problems you have no problem playing with others to help you when you start- I had to do the first system by myself as a Loki (and level him to 10) until I fixed my NAT problems- So I am unsympathetic to those saying he's too hard to play as a starter, simply because your not hitting the numbers you want to.

I started as Loki, and I thought it was pretty terrible. I realized the potential of the skillset, but until you have the proper mods and equipment, hes nearly useless.  I get the fact that it might make you a better player, but it certainly earned me no friends when I was doing single digit damage percentage at the end of missions.  If you want strong and powerful right out of the gate, he is clearly choice #3.  5 seconds invis with a skana or 7 second decoy don't really compare to what the others do.  I personally feel Mag or Excalibur is the way to go, Mag if you want strongest/easiest. By the time you can earn Loki (on Neptune I think?) you will have all the required mods and weaponry you need to really use him to his fullest.  The great thing about Loki is his abilities "grow" with him since they don't do damage.

If you are an experienced player AT WARFRAME, perhaps hes not as bad of a starter character.  Obviously you are still going to be garbage at killing large numbers of enemies in defense, mobile defense, survival etc. But as a pure noob, its definitely one to steer clear of.  Those first few hours are painful, and it is that first impression that really determines if people keep playing a game or not.  If you are worried about waiting till neptune to get him, you can just drop the 75 plat on him with a reactor and warframe slot free.  Essentially costing you only 35 plat, because he is definitely a frame you want to get the reactor on.

Honestly?  Quite a few people would disagree.  Loki is still great before getting all the good mods.  I know a few players who played him beautifully DESPITE BEING COMPLETE NEWBIES TO WARFRAME.

Sure, you are being outclassed by the people who are probably much higher level than you and simply farming the newbie areas for resources or blueprints or mods.  (Or kills)

The other starters though probably won't outclass you by much if at all until they are also well built.

I've played all the classes but Excaliber, Vauban, and Oberon (and I've played quite a bit with Excaliber and Vauban players and my Vauban is pretty much done)

Personally, I found Loki to be the most fun to start with.  But then again, this is coming from someone with a lot of experience.

@ the peeps saying Oberon instead of trinity, I was actually going by the Warframes the ps4 version has and won't have to wait for them to patch in. Oberon being one that we don't yet, I thought trinity  would be an ok starter. specially since she can give temporary to her team mates invincibility with her ultimate. plus extra survivability with link since she is invincible during link's duration.

Still, loki is a viable choice as many have said. Decent survivability with invisibility, popping it to flank or get away from enemies,
Easy to get stealth kills with, provided your teammates haven't go in guns a-blazing, Also gimps the heavies hitting you with missiles, napalm or whatever else with radial disarm.

Edited by (PS4)LadyAensland

@ the peeps saying Oberon instead of trinity, I was actually going by the Warframes the ps4 version has and won't have to wait for them to patch in. Oberon being one that we don't yet, I thought trinity  would be an ok starter. specially since she can give temporary to her team mates invincibility with her ultimate. plus extra survivability with link since she is invincible during link's duration.

Still, loki is a viable choice as many have said. Decent survivability with invisibility, popping it to flank or get away from enemies,

Easy to get stealth kills with, provided your teammates haven't go in guns a-blazing, Also gimps the heavies hitting you with missiles, napalm or whatever else with radial disarm.

If they were to patch it, we'd probably not have it occur until after we get Oberon.  Since they'd have to patch in anyways.

You won't see that without a full crit, or against infested.

But it is certainly possible, lawls.

Personally, what I think that they should have done is give you a chance to test each warframe out in a controlled scenario.

Training room pls

I chose Loki to start out with well aware that it said "for the advanced player" now i wasn't an advanced player but I well knew the "consequences" of choosing this guy to start off with even though I had never played this game before but I knew still because of similar games who offer you a choice similar to this. More of a challenge and more difficult and that's what I wanted. I found myself taking cover a lot and relying on decoy,rifle/pistol skills and melee and I enjoyed myself it was fun. Still is. I guess my point is there's nothing wrong with him as a starting character but do know it says for the advanced player and know what your getting into.

That "advance player" thing is pure DE BS; seriously. If you are an advance player, any frame is useful and as long as you know how to use it, mod it and most importantly know what your role in a squad is. 

The reason it is not a good starter frame is you really need to already have some good weapons to be help do some damage in a squad, not to mention a good knowledge of tile set layout is essentially to bring the best out of his abilities.

It is a good frame and a very interesting one when you are already "an advance player".

Edited by (PS4)RocketPunch1221

That "advance player" thing is pure DE BS; seriously. If you are an advance player, any frame is useful and as long as you know how to use it, mod it and most importantly know what your role in a squad is. 

The reason it is not a good starter frame is you really need to already have some good weapons to be help do some damage in a squad, not to mention a good knowledge of tile set layout is essentially to bring the best out of his abilities.

It is a good frame and a very interesting one when you are already "an advance player".

As we've said before, it isn't that hard of a frame to start with if you ARE a skilled player.

Don't punish the especially skilled players just because the standard player can't use him.

In a game called RaiderZ, with newbie gear and a class everyone said can't solo, I soloed all but one boss.  And that boss gives well geared teams of max level players a hard time.  While there were a few players that respected me, many players got mad at me cus they thought I was cheating.  (That and I wasn't dying to bosses that they expected me to die to).  In many games with a party requirement for dungeons/raids/etc. (can't even enter without a certain party amount), I bring a few people and tell them that they are free to stay and leech (but they must stay out of aggro range and not even try to help) or leave after dropping me in.   Point is that just because something can't be done by most players doesn't mean it can't be done.

You don't need a good weapon.  I used, with a brand new loki and completely new (as in starter weapons at ranks unranked to 3) weaponry, did very well on my own.  After a few levels, I was already pulling off advanced tricks and holding my own.

However, can most players do that?  Probably not.  But that doesn't make him any less viable as a starter.  Most people should choose mag or excaliber unless they have friends.  But the select few who are true soloists should find Loki as an excellent starter.  

(I wish Kirito, one the ultimate soloists, was real cus I'd love to challenge him to see who is the better gamer-the dual wielder with super fast reflexes or the support player who has essentially no reflexes but the ability to 'program' actions in advanced to use in various scenarios).

And yes, I essentially have no reflexes due to how I trained myself.  Usually when you see me doing something in real life, it is a scripted activity I began up to 10 seconds ago.  That is why if you genuinely surprise me, I usually stop all activities for about 5-20 seconds while I compile a new script or function or program to deal with the situation.  That is also why if I fall asleep while playing a game, I repeat the same actions over and over again based on what actions I had set up when I fell asleep. (Great for farming/grinding in some games).

Sorry Rocketpunch but I don't find it BS. Loki's moves particularly differ from mag or Excalibur in the sense that they are not "offensive" and for that reason that's why they put "for the advanced player" it will be harder for someone I.e. starting new players to progress easier with Loki rather than mag or excalibur.Loki will force you to be more strategic in your approach. Again I wasn't an advanced player when I started with Loki,just simply wanted a challenge and I found it fun to play with him,sure I struggled a little as a newbie but I found out how to play with him. Sure Loki may be tough to start out with but not a bad character to start with. Of more importance should they have more starting options? Maybe, I think so. I friended someone in warframe who started out with Loki and he hates Loki,he's not as flashy not as offensive as some of the other warframes and didn't fit my friends playing style at all. You cant simply go out in mass crowds of enemies and start gunning down with Loki of course unless you know what your doing with him. All in all Loki sets a different pace to gameplay in warframe,a pace not suited for most beginning players but I never thought he was a bad player to start with even for me starting out as a noob.

And also you would start out with the same rifle/pistol and melee weapon as you would with mag or Excalibur the difference is the set of abilities each has. So let's not say its a matter of weaponry because then you would have to say the same for any other warframe. Going from a braton to a soma with any warframe would make things a whole lot easier believe me.(and that can include the use of mods) and yes an advanced player would be able to utilize any of those starting warframes efficiently but still Loki, i think, will be the hardest to play with.

As we've said before, it isn't that hard of a frame to start with if you ARE a skilled player.

Don't punish the especially skilled players just because the standard player can't use him.

In a game called RaiderZ, with newbie gear and a class everyone said can't solo, I soloed all but one boss.  And that boss gives well geared teams of max level players a hard time.  While there were a few players that respected me, many players got mad at me cus they thought I was cheating.  (That and I wasn't dying to bosses that they expected me to die to).  In many games with a party requirement for dungeons/raids/etc. (can't even enter without a certain party amount), I bring a few people and tell them that they are free to stay and leech (but they must stay out of aggro range and not even try to help) or leave after dropping me in.   Point is that just because something can't be done by most players doesn't mean it can't be done.

You don't need a good weapon.  I used, with a brand new loki and completely new (as in starter weapons at ranks unranked to 3) weaponry, did very well on my own.  After a few levels, I was already pulling off advanced tricks and holding my own.

However, can most players do that?  Probably not.  But that doesn't make him any less viable as a starter.  Most people should choose mag or excaliber unless they have friends.  But the select few who are true soloists should find Loki as an excellent starter.  

(I wish Kirito, one the ultimate soloists, was real cus I'd love to challenge him to see who is the better gamer-the dual wielder with super fast reflexes or the support player who has essentially no reflexes but the ability to 'program' actions in advanced to use in various scenarios).

And yes, I essentially have no reflexes due to how I trained myself.  Usually when you see me doing something in real life, it is a scripted activity I began up to 10 seconds ago.  That is why if you genuinely surprise me, I usually stop all activities for about 5-20 seconds while I compile a new script or function or program to deal with the situation.  That is also why if I fall asleep while playing a game, I repeat the same actions over and over again based on what actions I had set up when I fell asleep. (Great for farming/grinding in some games).

WOW, Thank you your highness spending your time and grace us sub-human peasants with your ego in this forum. Have your met the president? cause he could use someone like you in the space station.

Yours truly, 

Edited by (PS4)RocketPunch1221

Like your build, whatever it is, is original. LOL

Considering how many people were asking for my build and saying that they've never seen a trinity like mine? I'd say it was fairly original, at least on the ps4 version.

Granted, my build needs 7 formas.

WOW, Thank you your highness spending your time and grace us sub-human peasants with your ego in this forum. Have your met the president? cause he could use someone like you in the space station.

Yours truly,

Well, I didn't know you were a sub-human and I don't know what a sub-human is, but whatever.

Also, I'm not royalty.

Edited by (PS4)ariaandkia