Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Achlys, The Mist Queen

LordWartusk

So, here's my concept for the mist-Warframe, Achlys.

-----------------------

Role: Achlys is a defensive Warframe, devoted to keeping allies safe from harm and disorienting enemies.

-----------------------

Lore: Achlys is the mist queen, the defender of her allies and the one her enemies never see coming through her deadly haze. After remaining hidden for so long, she has emerged from the mist to combat the new enemies of the Tenno.

-----------------------

Appearance: A female Warframe wearing armor similar to that worn by medieval knights. She has several vents on her body, primarily her shoulders and arms, that expel the mist she commands.
-----------------------
Ability 1: Choking Vapor
Release a stream of mist from your hands, choking and damaging enemies who are caught in it.

Animation: Hold up the arm you aren’t currently using and releases an energy-colored mist in a cone in front of you. Enemies inside are choked and damaged before fleeing it (they act like when first Mind Controlled)
-----------------------
Ability 2: Restoration
Begin to release a mist from your shoulders, forming a path behind you. Allies who stand in the fog regenerate health and energy.

Animation: No real animation except a slight wave of her hands to indicate the shoulder vents. The mist forms a transparent-fog behind her that stretches a fair distance.
-----------------------
Ability 3: Fog Bank
Form a fog bank around you, restricting all view inside . Enemies will instantly rush to get out, while allies inside are rendered invisible.

Animation: Point both arms at the ground and rapidly release a blast of vapor that wraps around you and covers the nearby area.
-----------------------
Ability 4: Mist of Confusion
Mist billows around, forming a foggy area enemies can't see through. Confused in the mist, there's a chance they'll fire on allies in confusion, and they do not see Tenno until they're much closer. When the mist clears, all enemies inside take a moment to get their bearings and as such will not attack.

Animation: Hold your arms out (similar to Volt’s fourth ability) and release a massive amount of fog from your shoulders and hands, that rapidly thicken and cover the surrounding areas. The mist is spherical, meaning enemies underneath and above you can still be effected if close enough.

-----------------------

Builds: For Achlys, mods that improve her power duration and range are a must. These mods allow her presence to be much more well known and her abilities to have a much greater effect.

-----------------------

Hope you guys like her! Please offer any feedback, good or bad.

While it does seem so on paper, i'm thinking of it like Radial Disarm. An ability with large range that effectively stops enemies from dealing any real damage unless the player just isn't paying attention.

I haven't played loki, but I've heard that radial disarm itself does do damage. This one doesn't (from what's told).

Furthermore, #3 seems far more useful as it's like Ash's smokebomb. Actually, it seems EXACTLY like ash's smokebomb (unless you stop being invisible when you leave the fog)...

Not to mention the actual visibility impairments for the tenno involved...

(Main Suggestion: More unique abilities)

I haven't played loki, but I've heard that radial disarm itself does do damage. This one doesn't (from what's told).

Furthermore, #3 seems far more useful as it's like Ash's smokebomb. Actually, it seems EXACTLY like ash's smokebomb (unless you stop being invisible when you leave the fog)...

Not to mention the actual visibility impairments for the tenno involved...

(Main Suggestion: More unique abilities)

No, Loki's Radial Disarm doesn't do damage.

Also, Ash's smokebomb only stealths himself, and just disorients nearby enemies. Achlys' stealths her and allies (inside the fog) and only makes nearby enemies leave the fog. Not to mention they're on different tiers (50 energy and 75 energy, respectively).

And yeah, there would be some impairment, but that's not only unique to Achlys. World on Fire, Snow Globe, Electric Shield, etc. have a visual impairment, but it's balanced out through the benefits of the ability.

Actually, radial disarm does do some damage. Infested chargers take 500 damage. Don't know what damage type though. Minor, but it's there.

Back on topic, very nice idea. Utility is somethingi tend to look for in my frames, and Achlys looks perfect for how I'd play

Also, Ash's smokebomb only stealths himself, and just disorients nearby enemies. Achlys' stealths her and allies (inside the fog) and only makes nearby enemies leave the fog. Not to mention they're on different tiers (50 energy and 75 energy, respectively).

And yeah, there would be some impairment, but that's not only unique to Achlys. World on Fire, Snow Globe, Electric Shield, etc. have a visual impairment, but it's balanced out through the benefits of the ability.

I rather move around invisibly than stay in an area invisibly (that's me). Also, what if I launch the fog near a corner (while still undetected in the mission) and an unsuspecting enemy gets caught in the fog - they'll run away from it but they didn't see the tenno - are they alerted?

Sure they may be on different "tiers", but not all #3's use 75 energy, likewise not all #2's use 50 energy.

And what's the fog's range?

If it starts out at 5 metres, maxing out at 20m (radius), then that's ok... (for the #3)

Considering it's a fog that enemies can't see through unless in point blank with tenno, it's gotta be a damn thick fog.

Thicker than explosive barrels and napalms blasts.

(logically, but warframe logic = illogic)

Those other abilities don't have that degree of visual impairment.

but if the fog is less than half opacity, then i think i'm fine with that.

As for your #4 description from what I can gather, it seems like a nyx's chaos followd by a excal's radial blind.

One thing I must ask -

visually, how distinct are these 2 mists/fogs?

I rather move around invisibly than stay in an area invisibly (that's me). Also, what if I launch the fog near a corner (while still undetected in the mission) and an unsuspecting enemy gets caught in the fog - they'll run away from it but they didn't see the tenno - are they alerted?

Since they didn't see the Tenno themselves, they wouldn't be alerted.

One thing I must ask -

visually, how distinct are these 2 mists/fogs?

The 3 would be rather thick, obscuring everything in it (so yes, there would be some impairment, but i'm sure they could fix that through some form of heat vision (like the scanner))

The 4 would be like classic movie fog, very thick on the ground but mostly transparent up high. Again, there would be some impairment, but not as heavy as her 3.

Edited by LordWartusk

The 3 would be rather thick, obscuring everything in it (so yes, there would be some impairment, but i'm sure they could fix that through some form of heat vision (like the scanner))

Except with the scanner you can only use melee and the enemy runs out of the fog anyway so melee kinda sucks in this case leaving the option of gunfire but then you have to stop using the scanner and the only way to see your enemy then is to hope you see "ENEMY NAME" when you hover the reticle over them.

What I WOULD THINK BE COOL THOUGH: If you were "vanished" by the fog (ally or caster), or enter the fog after it's cast, and leave the fog, you leave the fog as a puff of smoke...if you get what I mean.

So, like, a smokey silhouette/hologram running out of the fog (until the fog itself dissipates). Bullets will shoot through you but this effect disappears when you fire your weapon (and maybe melee), but the effect can be regained by simply entering the fog again.

What're your thoughts on that, as a #3? Since it's already so obscure.

That #4 fog would look very cool, though.

Overall, I'm starting to like this. Versatile..frame. Not sure how she'll look though.

If I were you, I would consider playing with the fact that vapor in the air would refract and diffuse light, thus affecting laser weapons (i.e., Corpus tech). Maybe one of the mist abilities could have the additional perk of blocking laser fire for this reason, giving her a little more usefulness against the robotic corpus (I assume most of her abilities would deal gas damage, after all.)

If I were you, I would consider playing with the fact that vapor in the air would refract and diffuse light, thus affecting laser weapons (i.e., Corpus tech). Maybe one of the mist abilities could have the additional perk of blocking laser fire for this reason, giving her a little more usefulness against the robotic corpus (I assume most of her abilities would deal gas damage, after all.)

>Flux Rifle

Disco time!