Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Fix The Broken Rng: Pseudo Random Distribution.

blablark

Many of you know that the RNG sucks in Warframe. DE really needs to fix it. Some advanced DOTA 2 players may know about this modified number generator, called Psuedo Random Distribution. In DOTA, this is used in most critical hit passive skills. When the chance to crit on attack is displayed as 10%, the chance starts far lower, around 1.5%. But with each hit which fails to give a crit, the chance increases by a certain amount. When a crit does proc, the chance is reset. This could be implemented on low crit chance weapons like the Seer, Stalker/Harvester spawning, and for mission drops in the void, each drop would also have the chance of dropping increased every run, and the chance for something to drop would be the average of all the player's modified drop chances. This would result in the elimination of absurd things like getting 10 vigors in a row in nightmare mode, Harvester never ever coming to attack you, Stalker stalking you 3 times in a row, and never ever getting a crit or status proc on a weapon.

Full list of things this could be implemented on:
Crit chance only for low crit chance weapons. Implementing it on higher crit chance weapons will cause them to somewhat have a lower crit chance, due to it constantly producing crits and resetting to the lowest value. Scrapped. it would be too troublesome for DE to determine what makes a weapon have low crit chance.

Stalker/Harvester spawns

Survival/Defense missions missions rewards, making it very unlikely to get 11 Mag Prime chassis in a row. Modified chance will not be shared between missions.

Nightmare mode/Orokin Void mission rewards. The modified chance for each player would be shared for all of the missions.

Boss drops. Modified chance shared between missions too. Less chance for boss like Harvester to drop detron receiver 5 times in a row.

Daily rewards. No more getting primary weapon exp everyday

Edited by blablark

I am personally for this, but I wouldn't like this to be implemented on weapon/warframe damages. My soma crit chances every other shot, reading on how this works I would fear that crit chances would be lowered due to working up the chance of it happening, unless we can still directly effect the chance with mods(like we can do now).

Other than that, this wouldn't seem like a bad system. For example with Stalker, he has a 5% chance to spawn on a mission, but every mission he doesn't spawn in at, his chances of appearing are increased 1%-5% for each mission, so you could get him on your first mission, or you will eventually fight him when you reach 100% chance, which would be after 20 missions if the chance goes up 5% each time. This is just an example, I don't know the exact spawn rates or percentages.

Same could be applied to mods, but differently. So common mods have more have an initial chance to drop than rare, but you could possibly set the chance to increase either after every mission completed, or mod pick up from a boss, or a boss defeat. 

Edited by EChondo

I am personally for this, but I wouldn't like this to be implemented on weapon/warframe damages. My soma crit chances every other shot, reading on how this works I would fear that crit chances would be lowered due to working up the chance of it happening, unless we can still directly effect the chance with mods(like we can do now).

Agreed. Will edit.

Edited by blablark

I agree with the mentioning of Gameplay chance aspects, but not so much the weapons.

It would seem weird that only low chance weapons get the PNG and not higher ones (unless you set a hard cap to where the PNG works).

Though I heavily agree with the Harvester/Stalker thing and their drops. It's been a BIG problem (I still haven't acquired despair :C) over the past updates.

I agree with the mentioning of Gameplay chance aspects, but not so much the weapons.

It would seem weird that only low chance weapons get the PNG and not higher ones (unless you set a hard cap to where the PNG works).

Though I heavily agree with the Harvester/Stalker thing and their drops. It's been a BIG problem (I still haven't acquired despair :C) over the past updates.

Maybe you're right. The developers would have a hard time to enable the PNG for the high fire rate weapons and the high crit chance weapons. Will edit.

Yes, there have been many topics about this.. progressive chance RNG, token systems, etc.

This has been going on since the introduction of Void.. at this point I doubt DE is willing to change anything other than maybe try to shuffle things around to have less diluted pools.

We should still try though.. so +1

They actually did this with Cernos, I think. Wiki said something about Cernos BP having high drop chance at first, then decreasing every time you visit Tolstoj. (Seer parts also had the same pattern before fix)

They actually did this with Cernos, I think. Wiki said something about Cernos BP having high drop chance at first, then decreasing every time you visit Tolstoj. (Seer parts also had the same pattern before fix)

I'm pretty sure this was removed. The only reason it was done in the first place was because selling BPs was the fastest way of getting Credits at the time.

OT: There are two issues with PNG. One is that you have to account for multiple people because rewards are shared. Whether you check just the host or everyone in the group, a person can become a jinx after they get a good drop, discouraging them from contributing. Also, in order to raise a chance of something dropping, you have to lower something else, so it's actually quite complicated to change drop values around, because in order to be fair you have to either modify every drop in the table or arbitrarily change only a few.

I'm pretty sure this was removed. The only reason it was done in the first place was because selling BPs was the fastest way of getting Credits at the time.

OT: There are two issues with PNG. One is that you have to account for multiple people because rewards are shared. Whether you check just the host or everyone in the group, a person can become a jinx after they get a good drop, discouraging them from contributing. Also, in order to raise a chance of something dropping, you have to lower something else, so it's actually quite complicated to change drop values around, because in order to be fair you have to either modify every drop in the table or arbitrarily change only a few.

True. For a start I feel that DE should modify the chances which are easy and fair. Like daily rewards. Stalker and Harvester PNG would be easy to do, as there are only 2 outcomes, whether or not Stalker/Harvester spawns. The dice could be rolled for each player, and when Stalker/Harvester spawns, chance of spawning for all players will be reset to minimal.

End mission rewards would be hard. I hope DE can think of a way, or that one of us can find one for them.