Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shield Primary Weapon

SoulStealer64

I know that there are those of you thinking that a shield is a melee weapon, but I think that warframe gives the possibility of having it in the primary slot.

The idea that I have come up with originated when I saw Volt's Electric Shield ability, and I immediately thought, why not have that, or something like that as a weapon.

So here it is...

A shield held in the left hand, a small disc like buckler, or something of the like, with a large energy shield extending in front of it. This would tae the primary weapon slot, but would not have any form of attack. This is because it would instead buff the secondary weapon of the wielder, which can be used in the other hand while the shield equipped. The shield would mitigate a portion of damage to the wielder, only if the shots hit the energy shield. There could even be a specific mod to increase that damage mitigation, or to reflect some projectiles that hit the shield. Other mods that could be applied to the shield would be pistol mods, which would affect the pistol if the player aimed down the sights with the shield equipped. This would make up for the fact that the player now has a very minimal amount of ammo, due to not having a primary weapon.

This could be an original and extremely usefull addition to the armory of the baddass space ninja army.

"I feel like this is far fetched, but I don't see how you make single pistols relevant without ridiculous stat adjustments unless the other hand is used for something utilitarian."

The other hand would be being used for the shield.

The shields utility is reducing damage from that direction.

The most useful part of the shield using pistol mods, is mods that you normally wouldnt use over extra damage, like max ammo capacity, can now be easily fit into your ideal build.

I feel like any more utility in that hand would be unreasonable.

A shield held in the left hand, a small disc like buckler, or something of the like, with a large energy shield extending in front of it. This would tae the primary weapon slot, but would not have any form of attack. This is because it would instead buff the secondary weapon of the wielder, which can be used in the other hand while the shield equipped. The shield would mitigate a portion of damage to the wielder, only if the shots hit the energy shield. There could even be a specific mod to increase that damage mitigation, or to reflect some projectiles that hit the shield. Other mods that could be applied to the shield would be pistol mods, which would affect the pistol if the player aimed down the sights with the shield equipped. This would make up for the fact that the player now has a very minimal amount of ammo, due to not having a primary weapon.

You lost me as soon as you described it as being passive, yet still taking mods. Sorry, but that's boring and requires zero input from the player (and also zero skill to use). Other issues:

1. If it's a primary, what kind of primary would it be and what kind of mods would it even use? It has no attack, so almost all primary mods are instantly useless. Using pistol mods isn't much better, as again, damage mods are useless.

2. Though secondaries do scale better with mods, there's a reason they aren't used too terribly often over primaries (it's because primaries are stronger). In the land of Pentas, Somas, and Drakgoons, a primary that does zero damage isn't going to fly with most players.

3. It's passive. As stated above, this is both boring and requires no input or skill at all from the player. You equip it and wow you already take less damage. This is less of an issue with mods such as Redirection, Steel Fiber, or Vitality, because you have to worry about mod power consumption. Simply equipping an item has no downsides at all, other than lowering your potential DPS. There's so much more you could have potentially done with this idea, and instead, it's just passive.

Edited by Vargras

You lost me as soon as you described it as being passive, yet still taking mods. Sorry, but that's boring and requires zero input from the player (and also zero skill to use). Other issues:

1. If it's a primary, what kind of primary would it be and what kind of mods would it even use? It has no attack, so almost all primary mods are instantly useless. Using pistol mods isn't much better, as again, damage mods are useless.

2. Though secondaries do scale better with mods, there's a reason they aren't used too terribly often over primaries (it's because primaries are stronger). In the land of Pentas, Somas, and Drakgoons, a primary that does zero damage isn't going to fly with most players.

3. It's passive. As stated above, this is both boring and requires no input or skill at all from the player. You equip it and wow you already take less damage. This is less of an issue with mods such as Redirection, Steel Fiber, or Vitality, because you have to worry about mod power consumption. Simply equipping an item has no downsides at all, other than lowering your potential DPS. There's so much more you could have potentially done with this idea, and instead, it's just passive.

Sorry, I really did explain this poorly. The mods that you can place on the shield apply to the secondary weapon which you can use at the same time as the shield. Yes I understand that many players will overlook it because its not "in the land of Pentas, Somas, and Drakgoons" but at the same time it would exponentially increase the power of your secondary weapon and make tanking slightly more viable, bringing in a few more interesting gameplay elements. For example, it would make a 'threat level' system much like in mmorpg's much more viable in this game, and this in turn could lead to more interesting boss fights where you need a dedicated tank to be drawing the 'aggro' (which is an idea that I would like to see in this game, regardless of the shield weapon type).

I think that this weapon may not look powerful at first, but it could in fact make weapons like the dual vipers equal to, if not more powerful than the soma, as it effectively doubles the capacity and slots of the weapon, aswell as making you able to put 2 of the same type of mod on that weapon.

I understand the point you are making about passive weapons being boring, but this would not just be an all round buff to armor or something like that. It would be a directional damage reduction, like volts electric shield but handheld, and only reducing a portion of the damage dealt.

Clearly it's not a weapon to suit everyone, but it may well suit the playstyle of many a tenno operative.

I imagine it like a throwable shield like captain ammerica's  shield like melee.

O.O yes. Lol but a primary sheild would have to be more like the dang sheild grunts from the Grineer. You have a sheild bash, and it blocks all damage up to a certain point befor ethe energy sheild 'depletes' and cycles to a recharge or something. Otherwise your pistol would just be teh same old same old. As to mods, i'd say keep it a standard primary. Apply elemental damage to your sheild bash, clip size would increase the damage it could take etc. Dont' see why you'd use pistol mods on a primary just because its a sheild.

Counter Strike: Counter-Terrorists' riot shield

-snip-

uhm, so, just checking....your idea is that the multishot mod of the shield will be able to stack onto the pistol multishot, or were you implying that you wanted some shield exclusive mods? (please make it the latter, it shouldn't be as bad as the first one T_T 180% multishot is strong enough, adding even more will make certain pistols a bit too...godlike)

Why not give it an active function? when it's not activates, the energy portion will not be there but when you activate it, the energy portion comes up and you start whichever direction you are facing, so it will not make you into an almighty god who can walk with a shield on and not get hit (that's Vor's forte, with his bubble, but you cant walk when he has his bubble...meh) and to make it even more similar to Volt's Shield lets make it only buff your pistols when you shoot through it.

but if you insist on having a passive, make it into a Warframe mod, one which you can equip on your frame, but you should remove the 'buff' portion as it makes the shield a bit too overpowered for a mod