The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Buff Sniper Rifles

Rogue1897

I'm no gun expert, but the bullets and the guns are just about the same. Sure, snipers can aford a little more oomph, but it's not by much. Point in case, though I'm not trying to pin you up against a wall or anything Liverslice, even you stated that "a skilled shooter will one-shot with a sniper" implying that he aims to assure the kill. Implying that it is indeed possible that someone could survive a shot from a sniper. It's not about power if you need to aim, it's about hitting vitals.

Now, as for the argument about snipers in this game and many others going against logic by assuring a kill when it comes into contact with the target, this is true. But then games aren't about logic. They are about fun. The fact we use guns in these games doesn't mean they are bound to the same rules real guns are.

Slow fireing snipers are satisfying BECAUSE they blow the target to bits. If they didn't do that much, there would be ZERO reason to use them in games, seeing as game time is shorter. Meaning less time for preparation. Finding a good spot and waiting, which I assume are two crucial elements to proper sniping. Again, not an expert, so correct me if I'm wrong. That, and the targets are ALOT more mobile. "When did you EVER see someone walk in a game or catch his breath? Heck, we're flipping NINJAS in THIS game." Meaning the risk of being countered as a sniper are MUCH greater. Greater risk in games need greater rewards to justify them.

Now that I've "hopefuly" cleared things up on both ends, the one thing that irks me about snipers is really that their usefulness is pretty limited. They will always be outpaced by other weapons since faster guns can transition from one target to the next instantly while Snipers and bows have a delay to contend with. Unless they are used in situations that are never actually forced onto a player. Such as 100 waves of defense. No one needs, and hardly anyone does get to waves where snipers shine.

It's annoying that riffles benefit from Heavy Cal. while snipers have nothing to contend with damage wise in the mods, but they already have all the damage they need, even without it. So it's only an illusionary problem. Yes, snipers are less effective then riffles, but it's not because of DPS. It's because of their innate traits as snipers.

What I've been thinking about was to have a mod for snipers that would let them do some sort of chain lightning effect or maybe a bit more of a thick line-attack like a beam cannon, though that would turn snipers into something else... I honestly don't have a clue as to how to improve snipers in this game.

edit: Vecits oneshotting past wave 100... is PROBABLY "didn't try" only true for the few with Primed Chamber. Unless they finally decide to release it to the masses, this is probably something most players won't be able to achieve. Let's try to keep comparisons to a law of averages.

Edited by Eruend

+1, snipers like Vulkar's status are already out of date,it has not too high damage,, small magazine, slow rate of fire and slower reload time. its DPS can be easily surpassed by a Crit build rifle(even not soma or grakata)

It's reload time should be reduced to normal rifle's level, otherwise its just a S#&$.

At least give it a normal rifle's maneuverability, please.

Edited by windsofdestruction

Sniper rifles never where the weapon to have at hand if you want to mow down hordes of enemies. Sniper rifles are high precision / high damage / low magazine / slow firerate weapons. If the rifles in Warframe differ from that, they are no longer sniper rifles.

But sniper rifles could use some love of DE, as in my eyes the only viable one is the Vectis.

The Vulkar deals next to no damage (only 100 damage and then 100% impact, are you kidding, what is this thing firing, rubber projectiles??) and even with headshots you will have a hard time to OHK a grineer with a headshot. But amusingly, it has the best zoom.

The Lanka has more in common with a bow than a sniper rifle (time of flight, has to be charged for acceptable damage, genuine punch through) and is no weapon used to hit small moving targets like shield drones or maybe over distance. And then you could just install metal auger or shed in your soma to do the same job with same ammo count in less time.

Bows are no sniper rifles and in Warframe they are imho weapons without style. It is hard to hit an enemies weak spot over distance, or if he is moving, you do high single target damage with high fire rate, ridiculous pinning of enemies against walls, knocking down hordes of enemies that stand behind them, explosive arrows that flatten entire areas (except on high level), no style.

Example why sniper rifles are not underpowered:

My Vectis got alot of love, it has 5 Formas, approx 76% crit chance and deals 2x 15k crits. On survival missions, I build my elephant gun by dropping in Heavy Caliber, Fast Hands and Metal Auger, that means everything standing in a row soon will lie in a row. I'd pick this one over every Ogris or Penta, you won't harm yourself and if you chose your fighting grounds wisely you will also have a higher kill count. On tower T3 defense I can smash a whole wave coming from one exit with a single shot. And if I really want to piss the enemies off, I play Nova and get a Banshee in my squad, casting MP and Sonar and deal 2x 85k crit on an ancients Zoidberg-face.

So no, sniper rifles are not generally underpowered, maybe all we need is a buff to the Vulkar and well, what to do with the Lanka... I don't know, fix the scope and that weird light at the tip of the barrel and it is ok, the other people seem to dig it for some reason.

If you want to tear down those hordes with the trigger pulled down, get a Soma. With sniper rifles you have to place yourself accordingly and wait for that one perfect moment to smash your target. Respectively targets, if you use the right mod.

It's just a personal opinion, nothing that can be grabbed by facts. To me, weapons without style are all weapons of mass destruction that require no preparation, skill or whatsoever, just run&gun. Ogris, Penta, Bows, Soma, all those things.

I just added a little paragraph about them because most people I know throw them into the same pot as sniper rifles.

It's just a personal opinion, nothing that can be grabbed by facts. To me, weapons without style are all weapons of mass destruction that require no preparation, skill or whatsoever, just run&gun. Ogris, Penta, Bows, Soma, all those things.

I just added a little paragraph about them because most people I know throw them into the same pot as sniper rifles.

So... all of the weapons in this game, then.