The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Leeching Criterion?

Festinger

Most threads about leeching discuss about their views on leeching, what is done and what can be done, but I would like to discuss here what is the current, and possibly unknown, leeching criterion.

I have left the topic vague, because just as much as I would like to know what the official stand is, it would also be that of interest to give a thought on what one would count as leeching.

As it stands, from replies I got from support, it would suggest that the official leeching criterion would be that from the final score when the mission ends. Therefore, a player of considerable percentage of damage dealt would not have been leeching.

This probably works out quite nicely, but I have encountered certain leechers which seem to have better techniques in leeching than idling at a safespot, which might be able to circumvent the current leeching criterion. 

In one instance, I have a player in the game who hardly moved throughout the game, except to migrate as we shifted from life support to life support. However, his sentinel could do inflict substantial damage to the NPCs that were generated in that mission. Would this player's damage be high when the mission ends? If so, would he have been leeching? 

Another instance which caught my attention was when a player was leeching throughout the duration of the match, where we had to defend the terminals, was idling in our vicinity. When the last terminal was done, I was more than happy to leave him to bleed out, but he was revived by a kind and possibly new (from mastery rank) player. The leecher then proceeded to participate and clear a path to the extraction. I did not report this player because the mission stats at the end do not show that he is leeching. Is he leeching? Does he fulfill the leeching criterion?

Is a Nekros who only spams desecrate leeching? He would have 0% damage done but he is helping. Is a Trinity who only casts blessing but doesn't kill anything leeching?

If the person is obviously not helping then I would classify it as leeching, like just standing in affinity radius while doing nothing. For example Ash or Loki only using invis so they don't die and nothing else. I don't think leeches are the issue, I think the affinity system in place is the real culprit because it encourages leeching and the suggested exp doesn't address it in any way.

They are going for a very active approach with Affinity distribution between weapons. If they take that approach and translate it in a subtle way towards Affinity distribution between players, it might work quite well.

It must be a very light system though, we can't just give 0 affinity to anyone who isn't a Nova after all.

Still, there are lots of great and simple ways to filter leechers and punish them for their heresy without hurting normal players.

I only take shots I have and tend not to fit a rush mod. Am I to be considered a leecher if I get put in with 3 rushers that hold down W and mouse 1 while firing off room clearing AOEs whenever there are more than 4 enemies in sight? Am I a leecher when I have to keep backtracking to kill the enemies that managed to hide from the carnage during exterminates?

A line has to be drawn, but it could be tricky.

i got called a leacher once when i was the only one defending the terminal on kappa while everyone else was being hallway heros.

every time someone came in i had already killed everything and was just standing there waiting.

I just imagine the thought process after the match :

Accuser : "That guy is so getting reported for being a dirty leecher"

*sees after action report*

Accuser : "..... oh"

Bonus point if the "Accuser" was using a nuke frame and you were using an (opinion-based) underpowered Warframe for a Mobile Defense and you manage to top his scores by a wide margin.

Edited by Wiegraf

i got called a leacher once when i was the only one defending the terminal on kappa while everyone else was being hallway heros.

every time someone came in i had already killed everything and was just standing there waiting.

Why you did that is beyond my understanding. You should have let pod die.

You are leeching if you are not contributing in a meaningful way to the mission. Damage is meaningless, as is the after-mission report. A Loki that disarms every enemy and rushes off to trigger life support might have the lowest damage, but could very well be the hero of the team. That is only one example, there are many others.