The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Want Free Platinum?

ensignvidiot

Posted in off topic because this involved DOTA 2

Want Platinum but lack a stable enough income? Too young to hold a job? Too much debt to neglect yours?

Well, how about I give you the Key to free platinum?

Seriously, completely free, you have to use very little really people money, but the guys over at Digital Extremes still get paid. You don’t even really have to work for it; all you have to do is play videogames.

Seriously, that’s the secret.

Ever heard of Defense of the Ancients? Its more commonly known as DOTA 2, and its available to play for free right off of steam.

Much like Warframe, DOTA has customizable parts that you can buy for real-people money. You can either buy these from the DOTA store, or from other players off of the Steam Marketplace. The Steam Marketplace is an auction house of sorts, like the Diablo 3 real money AH, or Ebay. When you buy and sell items on it, it all goes either to or from your steam wallet.

So how does this help you?

Well, you can get random cosmetic items for DOTA 2 just for playing games online. You don’t even need to win or be decent, just playing a game and not abandoning it will give you a chance to get items.

Items that you can turn around and put up on the market for money in your steam wallet.

Those funds can, in turn, be used on Warframe.com to purchase Platinum, or if you are VERY dedicated, a Prime Package.

Now there ARE some stipulations to this method, namely the following:

The account must have a successful purchase older than thirty days, but not older than a year. Also, Steam Guard must be enabled for 15 days.

If you have had your password reset by Steam Support you will need to wait another 15 days with Steam Guard enabled before you can list items on the Community Market.

If a chargeback has occurred on your account you will be eligible 30 days after your next successful purchase.

If a password is reset on an active account, the market will be restricted for 5 days. If an account has not been active within the past two months, this restriction will last for 30 days. this does not affect password changes, only password resets.

Adding a new purchase method to an account will trigger a market restriction for seven days.

any $1.00 game on the steam marketplace will make you eligible to sell on the community steam market.

Playing a free game and using the steam marketplace, will then get you money to use on anything that uses the steam wallet, like Warframe.

In short, by playing another game, you can create a Potato fund for your favorite Warframes.

Edited by ensignvidiot

It's not limited to DOTA2, it's anything on the steam market. Cards, Keys, anything.

true, but DOTA 2 is the easiest and most reliable method.

Im not sure of random drops from TF2 ever made it to the tradable section.

Important to note that the cards are tradable... but FOIL cards and ULTRA RARE items in DOTA 2 and other games go for several dollars USD

true, but DOTA 2 is the easiest and most reliable method.

Im not sure of random drops from TF2 ever made it to the tradable section.

Important to note that the cards are tradable... but FOIL cards and ULTRA RARE items in DOTA 2 and other games go for several dollars USD

Eh, I dunno about dota 2, but with TF2 you can scrap metal until you get enough for a key, which you can then sell. Or gamble on a crate for an unusual, which could sell for $10, or $2000. A TF2 key itself goes for ~$2.10.

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1

I didn't either, until I was selling random items to cover that last 25 cents of the base plat package

it shocked me that while most of the items sell for anywhere from $.10 to $.50, there where a few that went for 5 bucks.

And I find it rather efficient to use one videogame addiction to fuel another, I think ill get some screenshots up later tonight to show everyone a bit more on it.

...but why play Dota 2 or any other game when you just can play Warframe all day and sell mods and keys you found for platinum?

you can, im just offering the alternative to credit farming to afford to sell for platinum.

once you get a stock of wanted mods you can instead use warframe's own economy to fund your potato farm

It's more efficient to just play Warframe. 

If you aren't just playing random missions and actually doing useful runs for corrupted mods or rare mods dropped by specific enemies as well as alerts and then spend an hour or two finding a trade, you can get as much platinum as you need. Not enough to waste it, but enough to get endless potatoes and catalysts. You only need five catalysts and something like six potatoes. 100 plat for slots. That's the ELITE way to do things. 

I've made around 500 profit from trades and I'm not a hardcore mercher. Just get mods that people want and sell 'em for decent prices. You don't have to grind super hard and with a steady stream of new players coming in willing to pay 25p for any mod they want, it's not hard. Just be patient and play the game.

I also had fourty earbuds in tf2 just by playing. Deleted the game afterwards because it was bad by then.

I unboxed an unusual in TF2 and immediately sold it.

Boom, Grand Master.

Woo.

Dota 2 is reliable for getting cosmetic items, but if people want to avoid playing a very different game just so they can afford to play this one, then there are plenty of other methods.

So long as the game is one you already own.

Edited by EganMC

If you aren't just playing random missions and actually doing useful runs for corrupted mods or rare mods dropped by specific enemies as well as alerts and then spend an hour or two finding a trade, you can get as much platinum as you need.

most of my plat in this game is from selling Void keys, or Void runs.

I still find it nice to set warframe on the shelf for a few days while the DE cooks up something else to distract me from the game's flaws.