Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Mission Type: Research

TerraNovaX

I hope this will be the best place to put this, and I hope this reaches the ears of many. I have played a lot of warframe, hundreds of hours like many fellow Tenno. So during the livestream #20 a problem was mentioned about us veterans. We seem to have "done it all" and are wondering "Why am I still playing?". Well mostly because we enjoy the game and like competing on the leaderboards and being mercenaryninjasamurai in future spacesuit armor. But from the time in gameplay I have noticed something alike in EVERY mission. Each mission type is focused on killing the enemy. Sabatoge and Spy are not part of this case. However, Spy missions are VERY unpopular and disliked. This means killing spree missions are what players are going to play a lot of.

On the flip side of this, there is the semi new mission type of Survival. This is probably the most popular mission type out there, and I think Invasion is a close second. But what is the success of these missions? Why are they so interesting and fun? I believe firmly is that it keeps the player engaged and the cummulative rewards are what keep the player comming back for more. But there's a problem, it's all about KILLING. So i'd like to offer a solution to break that trend! Let my introduce Research missions!

In this mission, you would be in an Invasion mission setting, 2 factions fighting one another. However, you are not allied with either of them. During this mission you are tasked with obtaining 'research points' by doing various things. After getting X amount of research points, Lotus will offer you an extraction, or you can stay to obtain more points. A little vague? Let me go into more detail!

Let's say you go into a Research mission on Saturn, Grineer are trying to invade the corpus at a certain area. While going through the mission, you scan a Grineer and get +1 Grineer Research Points. Then you scan a Corpus and get a +1 Corpus Research point. While on the Grineer ship, you find a terminal and hack it on your own accord, then obtain 2-5 Grineer Research points. After getting 10 points of 1 type, Lotus says that extraction is ready if you need it, or you can stay and continue researching the enemy. So you decide to stay, scanning enemies, hacking terminals, looting dead bodies, each giving you points. You soon rush to extraction after getting 30 Grineer Points and about 26 Corpus. And you complete the mission!

Sounds a bit dull? Maybe, but let's look at the rewards! For every 10 points you got per faction, you obtained 1 research. For this mission you got 3 Grineer Research and 2 Corpus. So now what? What are these for?

In the market or a kiosk in the dojo, you can spend these 'points' for various rewards! Rewards would be based off faction points, themed after them. Let's say 1 point will net you 5000 credits, or spending 10 Grineer points gets you a certain item like a new grineer gun! Maybe you can exchange a few Corpus points and get a couple Neural Sensor's. The possibilities are endless!This would create a new, intruiging system in which effort is rewarded. The best part? RNG is practically not a factor! You get points, then spend them on what you want!

This can work for the void as well, obtaining corrupted research points, then going into the tab for corrupted rewards and get a forma for 10 points, or a catalyst, maybe a Prime part or Prime BP! Let your imaginaion work!

Less RNG involved, maybe a little bit of a grind, and a focus on something other than just killing every enemy on the ships. I feel this would be a refreshing step away from sacrificing to RNG gods and attempting Genocide on the other factions. Due note that the numbers are able to be changed! Maybe you get a point per 5, maybe 10,000 credits for 1 point? Who knows?

I'd really like some feedback on this topic, maybe alter or edit it and see if this can catch the eye of the DE so they can have some new and interesting concepts to work with.

It seems like the whole idea is essentially a common purchase system you can find at most single player game. But for F2P, you need to give something that is profitable to developer's side. "Give us more free stuff" isn't exactly the idea they're going to hear.

that "research" mission (didn't read your post,sorry wall of text) could be a raid2.0 type of mission,you get around the map and search for hidden datamasses/memorycards,each,will point to the next(not the precise spot,but the area where it is located) when you have enough,

Lotus will say to you that's she's now detecting something,there you are given an area in which there is the "raid-orb"(if you remember it) and you have to pick it up and take it to extraction,i think it would be fun :D

Edited by DAFIRE

While I agree on that killing should perhaps be toned down and scanners could have more use, the rest isn't enough for me. I do not men to be cruel or rain on your parade. It's just that you built up for something, something tied to their being a reason, something more to do - something for veterans. Then it was - scan people get stuff. Veterans in my eyes have most things, getting free stuff, even though RNG is a pain, is just going to end the game faster. With this constant "new rewards!" to lure people into thinking an idea is good people will just be burned out. Again, I do like the first part! I would like more things to do while in an actuall mission. But another missiontype with just scanning - it would have to be something more.

Mission:

Would we hunt some special targets? Would it be on time? Would we be allowed to be detected?  Do we have unlimited scans (maybe you can only take 100/mission as is, idk) Are there any secondary objectives?

You said we could use the points in a kiosk in the Dojo but;
What is the research for? What is it tied to? Do we sell the intel to the opposing factions? Does the Lotus need it? Can we use it in the Dojo?

Yes, we get points - but what do they represent? Is there specific data to gather for this specific invasion - as "why are the Grineer set to take this base, are there any additional reasons other than: we hate the Corpus!"? Is there more than one kind of research point?

Unit Reaserch Point - sold for low lvl stuff (this is basically just info on weapons and armor, might be good for the opposing armys own development)

Tech RP - Special info on advanced armor/weaponry or what ever

Intel RP - The good stuff, actuall orders from enemy command.

aso..

Anyway. This might be fun but it's pretty much the same grindy thing as mods (RPs). And it might offset the economy of the game as mentioned by another poster.

Why?:
Why are we doing the research in the heat of battle/invasion? Wouldn't it be seem  a bit more likely to conduct these research missions a bit stealthier?

Scanning is currently slow as f**k and if we're to try to get scans in invasion type missions were there are more enemies than usuall some players will proceed with the usuall *kill everything fast* style. Loki goes in, scans as fast as he can - then kills everything before others can scan.

I might get that enemies may be preoccupied in Invasion-missions and it would provide the opportunity to scan them. It would however also increase the chance that your scanning may be canceled by the target diying before finished.

In short, evolve the idea, think about the reasearch points - is it worth it? Enhance the gameplay aspect, think outside the RNG-box (rewards this and that). The "why" of the mission. Sell it to me with plausible lore.

Mission:

Would we hunt some special targets? Would it be on time? Would we be allowed to be detected?  Do we have unlimited scans (maybe you can only take 100/mission as is, idk) Are there any secondary objectives?

You said we could use the points in a kiosk in the Dojo but;

What is the research for? What is it tied to? Do we sell the intel to the opposing factions? Does the Lotus need it? Can we use it in the Dojo?

Yes, we get points - but what do they represent? Is there specific data to gather for this specific invasion - as "why are the Grineer set to take this base, are there any additional reasons other than: we hate the Corpus!"? Is there more than one kind of research point?

We wouldn't be necessarily hunting targets. We are more or less obtaining general data on the enemy which we give to the Lotus, who then rewards us for the amount of data we turn in. We choose to do it in the heat of a battle because there are more enemies and we are less likely to be detected, using the battle as a distraction.

I understand it needs a lot of work, but i'm hoping to see more feedback on it before making anyway huge changes