Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Utility Mod Slot For Wepons (Buff To Weapons)

ExplosiveFuel

It's just a concept I had. Something very similiar to the way that DE implemented the Aura mod slot for frames. A utility mod slot for weapons. This would cover the mods that are over looked for the most part. While they wouldn't be an Aura, it would still be useful.

If this were to happen, it wouldn't touch the mods associated with damage. So this would leave out the duel stat mods like wildfire or ice storm.

Mods effected and would be considered utility could be as followed:

Rifle: Ammo Drum, Ammo Mutation, Eagle Eye, Fast Hands, Fire Storm, Hush, Magazine Warp, Rifle Apitude, Stabilizer, Tainted Mag,

Shotguns: Ammo Stock, Burdened Magazine, Shell Compression, Ammo Mutation, Shotgun Savvy, Tatical Pump,

Secondarys: Ammo Mutation, Hawk Eye, Quickdraw, Slip Magazine, Steady Hands, Stunning Speed, Suppress, Sure Shot, Tainted Clip, Trick Mag

Melee: Open to Suggestions.

While I myself am a bit iffy on having the ammo mutation be able to fill into this slot. As they would over shadow a lot of the other mods in the same category. I beleive for most weapons this would be a viable buff. Allowing each weapon to utilize this slot to fix a possible weak point, while freeing up a slot for damage.

I would very much appreciate to hear the communities opinion of this.

Edited by ExplosiveFuel

I've had similar ideas, although mine was before Damage 2.0, so the initial idea was to utilize elements in this way. Was still thinking on how to make it work with the whole "element combination" thing, but the idea died once Damage 2.0 was released.

But yea, food for thought. Would be a nice addition, no matter how minute.

Just think of why you dont use them in the standard build though? Because you're using damage mods for your full build. This idea just gives you an option to pick one of the many utility mods that aren't normally used. On most of my builds I dont use any of these either. If anything I use a mutation mod. It's just a few of these mods are quite useful, just not currently used because of the abundence of damage mods.

So most builds are just all geared toward damage, so if it's a 2-3 second reload time you just kinda suck it up and deal with it because hey you got your damage. So with a utility slot you could lower the reload time. Or if you dont like the recoil, there's mods for that as well.

It gives these otherwise early game common mods, that you only use because you have nothing else better, a place in the late game.

Edited by ExplosiveFuel

I've had similar ideas, although mine was before Damage 2.0, so the initial idea was to utilize elements in this way. Was still thinking on how to make it work with the whole "element combination" thing, but the idea died once Damage 2.0 was released.

But yea, food for thought. Would be a nice addition, no matter how minute.

True, I think the element combination thing works well. But if you want more combinations say 2 of them you have to give up these lesser used utility mods.

I don't think the ammo mutations or status chance mods (including stunning speed) should go in there, but otherwise I agree. The mag size and reload mods are all very minor DPS assists, generally not worth taking. Having a slot dedicated to them would be nice to let your personalize a bit without gimping your weapon. Like having a large clip, and are good at reloading between fights? Use the corrupted mag mod to max clip size. Hate any interruption to your stream of death? Use reload mods to minimize the delays. I don't think ammo mutation mods or status chance mods should be able to go in this slot because they would become the required mod on most guns, so you wouldn't be able to use the slot for diversity.

I threw them in their mostly because they still somewhat fit into the utility aspect of it. How ever even if they were left out there still would be plenty of mods left to fill it. Zoom, Silence, Recoil reduc, magazine and ammo size. All more or less just utility. I dont really have an arguement for the status chance mods. But if magazine size and max ammo went into the category. I'm afraid ammo mutation fits it as well.

Edit: But I agree, if ammo mutation went into that slot it would shadow out the rest.

Edited by ExplosiveFuel

I love this idea.
As of now, I never use ammo or utility related mods because I like to see big number and I believe in my baseless assumption that another damage mod would be more ammo-efficient than a mod that directly helps with ammo or one that slightly helps get headshots. 

I disagree with a couple of your examples, mainly the status chance ones and Firestorm because those directly influence a weapon's damage per shot. Your iffiness about the ammo mutation mods is shared.

A couple of concerns I have-
1. Since this frees up a mod slot, would DE need to tone down damage on some guns?
2. Would they work like Aura mods and increase your mod points, would they cost mod points at all?
3. Would you also be able to place a utility mod in a regular mod slot? 
4. I want a mod that increases the zoom on shotguns. >=[

Edited by NeopetsMaster4432

To address these concerns, I'll take it one at a time with my reasoning.

1. No I dont think damage would be toned down. No one uses most of these mods anyways and fill the slots will all damage mods regardless.

2. I'm not sure about this, while they would work somewhat like an Aura. I can see them just not costing any. Or possibly less than normal mods.

3. No. As it would make the single mod slot pointless otherwise. At that point why not just add more slots for weapons?

4. I agree, zoom on shotguns would be fun.