Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Mod System: Let's Use It Even Better

JackKerras

So hey, now that we have these cool new systems, I'd like to see some different things go on with the way abilities work.

I like the new mod system. It sucks to lose all our current mods, but you know what? I'm cool with that. That being said, it seems like we've replaced our old cruddy system with a new system which will accomplish essentially the same things, plus some extra playtime thrown in for spice. I think you folks could really make this mod system sing if you came at it a little different.

Instead of having pure benefits with the only drawbacks being power costs, how about we have some things which are relatively power-inexpensive, but have a little give-and-take involved?

How about having a card that does nothing but add more mod power? Less capacity for different things, more specialization, more ability to equip expensive, high-level cards at the expense of fewer available slots.

How about some new and different types of abilities instead of simple stat bonuses? How about we add a few completely new abilities into the mix? Give Ash an ability that gives him significant life/shield regen per melee attack for a few seconds, or give Trinity an ability that does a substantial percentage of current health even if shields are up, for boss-fighting? How about Ability slots (like the Ember and Mag abilities below) which give a passive instead of an active ability?

How about Mods that can only be on one at a time? (Perforator/Disruptor/Frangible all Ammo-type Mods, therefore cannot be doubled up)

How about:

Pistol:

Wired Reflexes

Increase damage at the expense of scoped accuracy.

Frame with No Name

Significantly increases close-range damage, but adds a significant damage falloff and a maximum range.

Rifle:

Deep Focus

Increase damage based on the time spent between shots.

Lever Action

Locks firing speed at 1/s but improves accuracy and damage per shot.

Hot Loads

Increase damage by a larger percentage than Serration, but significantly increases shot-for-shot recoil.

All Firearms:

Disruptor Ammo

Causes enemies to explode when killed, dealing a percentage (to a max) of their health to nearby enemies.

Perforator Ammo

Adds significant penetration to attacks while causing damage dropoff depending on amount of material bored through.

Frangible Ammo

Increases base weapon damage (before all % additions) by a small amount. Halves Piercing properties.

Uranium Chamber

Increases base weapon damage at great expense of firing speed.

Melee:

Tungsten core

Causes weapons to deal a small percentage of their damage in an AoE.

Warframe:

Hyperthreaded Processing

Causes shields to begin their regeneration cycle much faster at the expense of maximum capacity.

Emergency Injectors

Causes the Warframe to gain health regeneration whenever shields drop.

Phase Inverter

Allows the Warframe to move through enemies for 3s when shields drop.

Cyclic Generator

Adds 5(+1/rank) points of Mod Energy to the current Warframe.

Hexidecimal Consolidator

Shields: now with armor. Reduces shield damage by a percentage. Also reduces penalty from Cold levels/damage by 50%.

Ash:

Reductionist Rampage

Increases melee damage and causes strikes to drain 25% of their damage in Shields and Health to Ash for 10s.

Rhino:

Berserk

Rhino's shields are reduced to 25%. Rhino's Physical damage increases by 25% of current and Elemental damage is increased by 100% for 10s.

Ember:

Conflagration

Ember's Fire damage is increased by a percentage.

Mag:

Weight of Guilt

Enemies within a certain range see a reduction in their movement and attack speed. Also affects any target which has been hit with a Mag ability.

Just spitballing here.

Things like these. These and many others could be awesome, they could give us a lot more things to improve our Warframes with, and a lot of ways to increase our weapons beyond their usual (Serration and Hot Loads should not be equippable together; they cost the same, with Hot Loads giving more damage at a penalty).

The system is super interesting compared to the old one. Now let's make our current mods mostly Common and Uncommon (save for the very good ones) and add Rare mods that allow us to specialize even further in the areas we like!

Perhaps max-level current mods could 'prestige' (please don't hurt me for referring to That Game, oh god) and branch into one of a few different mods which do their thing even better but add a penalty of some kind, if desired?

I think that'd be great, personally. Might be crazy.

The current system is only a first iteration - the new system was specifically designed so it would be way easier to put in new mods/skills like you have suggested they do.

Expect more to come in patches or with U8/9

I expected that; it seems like the system was put into place for that reason. It seems tailor-made to improve the ability for the devs to put in new stuff and create new tiers of progression without screwing with what folks already have. :) I'm excited! But I wanna see it. Of course. 'Cuz I'm impatient.

you know how there are those special slots for your warframes mods that cut the mods cost in half? i think that you should have to pay for those slots, and that they should also be available on weapons. it would give a new dimension to the mod system and another way to spend credits.

Like this! I'm now to make my own thread regarding card ideas!

Mod 2.0 could pretty much be its own game by itself; it has room for many features. Stepping away from basic stat increases, perk cards would be a great addition...

*Runs off*

[EDIT:]

Nah it'll be a bad idea. Have some mod 2.0 mechanic ideas:

Polarity Conversion Cards:

Converts an existing polarity slot it is placed on into the polarity marked on the card for a small energy fee until taken off. Cards can be placed on top of it.

Polarity Addition Cards:

Converts a non-polarity slot into the polarity marked on the card for a small energy fee until taken off. Cards can be placed on top of it.

Dual Cards:

A combination of two themed cards; shields with health, critical chance with critical damage, etc. These cost double the energy of their non-combination cards but have the advantage of taking only one slot and possibly able to take advantage of a polarity slot. They can be fed their non combination versions. They disable the use of their single counterparts.

---

This idea came up when I thought how generic (in the MMO sense) warframe abilities are. Press a hotkey and the ability happens :S

Volt:

Electrocution

Enables toggle of the ability to cast a continuous bolt of electricity at a target until energy runs out or when the player releases their fire key. Target is stunned while in contact. Will chain with nearby enemies. This holsters and replaces their current firearm.

Rhino:

Rhino Stampede

Immediately puts the Rhino into an unstoppable charge. Players can guide the direction of the charge and knock down / crush underfoot enemies that are unfortunate to be in their path until stamina/energy runs out. Similar vein to Infested Ancients.

Warframe:

Enemy Scanner

Allows the user to see living enemies through obstacles. Much like how players can see other squadmates as white 'ghosts" through walls.

Heater

Makes the warframe shields resistant to ice levels.

Cooler

Makes the warframe resistant to fire levels.

Edited by DSMK2

you know how there are those special slots for your warframes mods that cut the mods cost in half? i think that you should have to pay for those slots, and that they should also be available on weapons. it would give a new dimension to the mod system and another way to spend credits.

Paying for polarity is probably going to cause another uproar from the community. I think we should be able to choose which polarity we want in each slot upon level up at level 5-10-15-20-25-30. Also, add a reset button from UP6 in case players do not like their current polarity and want to change them, at the cost of credit.