Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Grinds Your Gears?

SoulEchelon

That almost every single attempt at rational discussion about balance descends into a shouting match about who is "ruining" the game?

Also on that note, that I apparently haven't received the recently updated definitions of "ruined" and "useless" because they seem to mean different things that i would expect them to when used on the forums.

when people act like the majority of content takes place against enemies level 60-100 and all content should at least be balanced for that level

This, the number of the level where the challenge happens is so not as important as the fact that the challenge happens.  Some of these people would seem likely to be happier with calculators as the most important thing to them seems to be that the numbers get bigger.  When most of the content occurs at levels 10-40 then that's the point that should be balanced to all the challenge in the world will follow.  

Balance too high the majority of the content is trivial (This is where OP powers and weapons live), balance too low and most things get more difficult than intended (as seen with a lot of under powered stuff in the game, many many weapons and powers currently fit this bill), but balance so that there is a steady and reasonable challenge progression through the majority of the missions you hit a happy medium. Once this happens you get those that want to nuke stuff can go to lower level missions and feel like gods (check), those who want crazy challenges can under equip and go to the high level missions and feel like they are gonna get beat down every time (check), Those who want to use a variety of weapons in a stead y progression that makes sense to the mission levels available can do so (check).  Something for everyone and and the only thing that's sacrificed is the ability to brag about REALLY BIG NUMBERS without having to actually work for them.

I feel like a lot of players on both sides of the argument tend to miss this while lost in their personal biases, and that's what really grinds my gears.

Edited by Agent_of_Change

Folks who start speaking in native language, witch most often isnt english.

I think its very ignorant towards other players.

This is a multiplayer game with people from all over the world. English should be primary.

Quite possible there's another player in that group also speaking that native language; considering they'd then make up 50% of the squad, I'd say they pretty much have to right to talk in any language they want.

What's more disrespecful? Someone talking to another in another language (which probably doesn't even refer to the other players but only themselves) or someone typing "speak english, n00b" when said people are just using the language they're most familiar with to converse between one another?

Of course, forums are another matter entirely (there's specific sections for specific languages and the 'main' forums are english for consistence) but considering that those player could have their game entirely in french, dutch, spanish or the like means they pretty much have the right to converse in whatever language they wish when playing. It's a bit unreasonable to think otherwise.

---

Back on topic;

What grinds my gear? Misinformation, mostly... which is why I don't mind being corrected when I'm providing help and am wrong on certain details. Also, elitist attitudes in game; I can recognize when someone has a viable tactic and shares it in game when things get hairy; however, I can't stand someone calling the shots for the sole reason of claiming he knows better (when it's pretty obvious he's just being a pompuous *ss).

Oh, and most hilariously, people blaming their team for getting killed / failing a mission when themselves are the main cause of failure. I can think of two examples (without names mentionned, of course).

During the Gravidus Dilemma, in one particular run, we were pushing forward against the enemy and coming upon that middle-of-the-way room with the shield tunnel. One of us suggested using the sideway tunnel (the one with the exhausts shooting flames) and we did so. 3 of us made it to the other side while one was downed since he was too busy standing his ground against the enemies in place. So I rushed to the console to bring down the shields so we could revive him.

He died... and then went on a rant which I am paraphrasing to : "WTF!? Y did u leav me behind, *ssh*les! U didn even try 2 rez me! F*ck u guys!" ... and then disconnected. While I'd agree (partially) that if it had been any of us 3 who made it to the other side that got in that situation that there would have been reason for frustration, there's one detail which makes him quite the hypocrite : he was the one who suggested we use the shortcut.

Another time, recently in fact, I was doing a Kappa for Oxium. I get dropped into a game where there's 1 data console left before the pod. So I hang around the console with a Vauban and another. The Vauban player types in chat "Stay in the room" for the two other players (don't remember what they played) who went into the central room. Understandable enough.... then I notice that Vauban isn't doing much... as in, he used to shoot stuff... but now? He's just standing on the machinery and doing nothing.

I figure he must be typing something. So after a minute and a half with the console being done and that player having not moved, I head to the central area. We activate the two terminals, the pod comes in.... and the Vauban player camps himself down the small spot between the consoles and the pod, on the rails... and doesn't do anything. We do our thing anyway but it gets pretty hectic at one point given that none of us, except the Vauban that's sitting in the corner has any reliable crowd control abilities.

The cherry on the cake? Just as the mission is about to fail, he leaves the game. Yes, such a mature example of a "I know better" player : turn into a leecher when things don't go your way and leave the match just before failure. If he had stayed and failed with us (due to his decision of not helping, despite having at least 1-2 players actively doing their job), I would have minded it too much. Oh, he could have tossed a Bastille or a Warp but decided to be an hypocrite. I let a lot of stuff slide when I play with PuGs... but this kind of behavior led me to fill my first report form.

when people act like the majority of content takes place against enemies level 60-100 and all content should at least be balanced for that level

Oh, that's definitively up there too; people not being aware that you can't balance a game against infinitely scaling difficulty and that everything is done to balance against the normal content in the Star Chart, with T3 missions being the extra kick in difficulty for that balance.

Edited by Wiegraf

When doing a map which has become mainly for farming, let's say Kappa on Sedna, and the Nova primes and doesn't bother to kill everyone that is primed or makes it incredibly difficult to kill everyone that is primed, resulting in a significantly slower spawn rate and less oxium for me.  Same goes for Rhinos that don't kill what they freeze on a low level map.

But the thing that truly grinds me the most.....

When the Frelling Hostage is too stupid to actually escape and runs in circles or gets stuck on something, and all you can do is cross your fingers that it won't day when everyone simply runs away, or spend 5 minutes trying to get them unstuck X_X.

Heroes on Kappa... Oh, how I wish there was some form of a "central lockdown" triggering once either of the terminals have been activated, which would result in all of the doorways & stairs being blocked by laser beams that one shot (straight to revive screen or even better, all 4 revives at once) anyone trying to run through them.

Quite possible there's another player in that group also speaking that native language; considering they'd then make up 50% of the squad, I'd say they pretty much have to right to talk in any language they want.

What's more disrespecful? Someone talking to another in another language (which probably doesn't even refer to the other players but only themselves) or someone typing "speak english, n00b" when said people are just using the language they're most familiar with to converse between one another?

Of course, forums are another matter entirely (there's specific sections for specific languages and the 'main' forums are english for consistence) but considering that those player could have their game entirely in french, dutch, spanish or the like means they pretty much have the right to converse in whatever language they wish when playing. It's a bit unreasonable to think otherwise.

True, if they are haveing a conversation. But when they ask something(i think they ask beqause questionmark in the end) and noone reply, and i go "english pls" and they just repeat the same sentence. That is what "grinds my gear".

Btw, im Swedish. If I see you online, I will let you know how it feels ;)

It's obvious Warframe is a pretty fun game, but it's also obvious there are quite a few glaring flaws. But we're not going to focus on those this time - there's enough threads going on about such things.

Instead, let's focus more on the little things that make the game more annoying than it should be. Stuff that isn't extreme, but enough to make you go "Dammit I hate when that happens."

Currently, my pet peeve is Defense heroes. Instead of sticking with their team or near the defense point, they rush out of the area and spam their ultis so they get all the experience and drops, while everyone else gets nothing. There is absolutely 0 benefit to this.

Case in point, an experience that just happened to me a few minutes ago. Sedna, Kappa - everything was going fine until the pod appeared. A Rhino (of course) named...well, I won't name names. Let's just say his name was connected to Dragonball Z (of course) rushed far, far away from the point and started spamming his Stomp in a hallway so far away from everyone, no one was getting exp. When I noticed virtually no Corpus were attacking us, I followed the lone Tenno blip to find this guy doing what I stated above. I even asked him to stop, but of course he doesn't - even does the typical "QQ" answer all trolls do. This is why we need a vote kick system, btw.

But anyway, that's what grinds my gears. What grinds yours?

you know what grinds my gears?

when noobs like the one you talked about make all rhino players look like they are $&*^s

I entirely agree with the defense heros. I don't actually play that often anymore because it's become monotonous but defense is the one area that I still really enjoy.... Having a good long defense with a 5 star team really is pretty satisfying. But heroes and trolls ruin it daily..... It seems common sense to leave 1-3 enemies alive at the end of each round for people to sprint off, pick things up and then rush back with no chance of the pod taking any noticable damage but sadly.... Most players are children. 

Another time, recently in fact, I was doing a Kappa for Oxium. I get dropped into a game where there's 1 data console left before the pod. So I hang around the console with a Vauban and another. The Vauban player types in chat "Stay in the room" for the two other players (don't remember what they played) who went into the central room. Understandable enough.... then I notice that Vauban isn't doing much... as in, he used to shoot stuff... but now? He's just standing on the machinery and doing nothing.

I figure he must be typing something. So after a minute and a half with the console being done and that player having not moved, I head to the central area. We activate the two terminals, the pod comes in.... and the Vauban player camps himself down the small spot between the consoles and the pod, on the rails... and doesn't do anything. We do our thing anyway but it gets pretty hectic at one point given that none of us, except the Vauban that's sitting in the corner has any reliable crowd control abilities.

The cherry on the cake? Just as the mission is about to fail, he leaves the game. Yes, such a mature example of a "I know better" player : turn into a leecher when things don't go your way and leave the match just before failure. If he had stayed and failed with us (due to his decision of not helping, despite having at least 1-2 players actively doing their job), I would have minded it too much. Oh, he could have tossed a Bastille or a Warp but decided to be an hypocrite. I let a lot of stuff slide when I play with PuGs... but this kind of behavior led me to fill my first report form

For a minute there; I thought you might have been talking about me. Because I recently did a Kappa run bringing the Booben, but the Volt and Nova p*ssed off to god knows where, probably kill-racing each other, and I stuck around in the console room with a Loki. And we just stood there... and waited... Doing nothing...

I had the dignity to fail with my team at least... The one Loki who put down a truly valiant effort.

Xini being Grineer, i liked when the Corpus where there, my problem is that the Grineer have way to many knockdowns and you can't even move sometimes
Corpus Kappa is the best that has happened to that node in a long time.

But what REALLY grinds my gears are those @(*()$ stupid piece of S#&$ players that rush at the enemies on Defense and Mobile Defense, and deny experience unless you go shove your face in their butts. So what i do is i climb somewhere hard to get to, and leave the datamass there, and leave the game. that's why i always pick it up even when i hate it.

And don't get me started on Nova players or rescue missions.

Edited by Hecadisth

People who take the time to talk about how much DE sucks and how they are lazy/incompetent/worthless as developers. Seriosuly? If you feel that why why are you playing their game, let alone going the extra mile to spend time on the forums? Some people just aren't happy until they've made everyone around them miserable.

Also the people who want to change warframe to be exactly like *insert franchise here*

People who take the time to talk about how much DE sucks and how they are lazy/incompetent/worthless as developers. Seriosuly? If you feel that why why are you playing their game, let alone going the extra mile to spend time on the forums? Some people just aren't happy until they've made everyone around them miserable.

Also the people who want to change warframe to be exactly like *insert franchise here*

I know right? And its free to play and they still complain, or people who don't like change when the game is still in beta! XD

Folks who start speaking in native language, witch most often isnt english.

I think its very ignorant towards other players.

This is a multiplayer game with people from all over the world. English should be primary.

yeah, they should totally learn a whole other language because you can´t understand that not everybody can speak english /sarcasm