The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Overheating And The Fix (Fps)

Sleepingbag

Hi,

since U12 my Laptop, yes I am playing on one, has had serious temperature issues. This even went so far that it decided to just turn off in the middle of warframe, to prevent heat damage.

Now what I think caused this:

When Idle in the Menus i had like 120 Fps, when in Game it avaraged somewhere around 60 (thanks to vsync). Always full power always full heat.

And the worst of all: Toning down the settings didnt help at all. Fps increased, the visual beauty was lost and Overheating stayed.

How I could fix it:

Installed a Radeon Graphics Tool where I limited my Fps to 30. Done.

I can once again play with most, if not all, settings On/High and the Notebook remains at a normal temperature.

So I would really like to implore DE: Implement a limiter of any kind! Stop the unnecessary computing power. There is no need for my Fps to jump to 400 (!) in the Black "Waiting for other players" loading screen!

400 Fps of Black! Yay!

Best regards,

My burning Laptop

Am I the only one to find this topic rather awkward? What is the matter about frames per second? And what do FPS even mean to you?

And the worst of all: Toning down the settings didnt help at all.

Did you expect anything different? Why did you try to turn down the settings; in particular: Which settings?

So I would really like to implore DE: Implement a limiter of any kind!

vSync is a limiter.

Stop the unnecessary computing power.

Wait... what?

There is no need for my Fps to jump to 400

Well, yes. But an image is easier to render and to output for a gpu instead of a 3D scene, right?

Am I the only one to find this topic rather awkward? What is the matter about frames per second? And what do FPS even mean to you?

Did you expect anything different? Why did you try to turn down the settings; in particular: Which settings?

vSync is a limiter.

Wait... what?

Well, yes. But an image is easier to render and to output for a gpu instead of a 3D scene, right?

"Stop the unnecessary (usage of) computing power (at the oddest places like the menu)" - better?

With or without you finding it akward, it still stands that the limiter DE put in didnt help me at all.

Turning down the settings usually should serve one purpose -> reduce the load on the machine in some way. Since the limiters arent working properly what i cut off on one side came back biting me on the other. Of course you can argue that the approach of turning off something doesnt make it slower, but thats not how it should function. 1980 Pacman functions like that when you start it on a quadcore and watch it move with lighting speed.

Bad anology but point is: The settings are our lever for tuning the game so it works. If those dont work, what do?

Edited by Sleepingbag

I dont think this is a problem with the game but it somewhat happen to me. Laptop would overheat crash and then near the end it would red screen. My laptop is a gaming laptop from HP but its also around 1-2 years old. How I fixed the overheating issue was I opened my laptop and reapplied the Thermal Paste to the CPU and GPU. You can find out easy tutorials on how to apply this thermal paste on youtube.

I've complained about this issue in the past.

I was fortunate enough because my nvidia control panel was able to apply v sync outside of the game to limit menu/solar system fps to 60. I therefore turned off the in game v sync because nvidia did it better.

The in game v sync should be more intelligent and limit FPS during these times because they have no effect on gameplay, but do have an effect on laptop batteries, temperatures, and component wear.