Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Game Mode] Clan Vs. Clan Battle Royale

Galactix

So while I was playing Halo Reach a couple days ago, I thought of an incredible idea for Warframe that could possibly solve clan inactivity issues and give them more of a purpose other than trading stations and research items. Clans in the same tier (depending on their community size) can battle each other to become the top clan of their tier.

GAME MODES

K.O.T.F (King of the Fort) is a game mode where clans face head to head to gain control of a small fort in the middle of the map. In the center of the fort, there is a control panel which acts like a lock-down system. Beating this lock will give fort control to that clan. The opposite clan must clear a path to the control panel if they want to take back control of the fort. Points are awarded every second to whichever side has control. The match ends when either one team hits 500pts or the time limit runs out.

Capture the Flag is pretty straightforward; both clans start on opposite sides of the map, then face head to head to steal each other's clan flag. Once the flag is taken, a notice will go up for the team without their flag, but the flag will no longer show up on that clan's minimap. The flag carrier cannot sprint or shoot, but can melee if close enough to an enemy. The match ends when one side hits 3 flag captures or when the time runs out

ABILITIES

Normal frame abilities are disabled of course, just to make the playing ground even; however, frames instead will receive a special ability called Safeward, basically a shield that blocks any oncoming damage for a brief moment. If timed correctly, this can block a lethal projectile, like a Paris arrow or an Ogris rocket.

The frame that clan members choose is crucial too; each frame will have a single ability that runs solely on a very long cooldown of 3 minutes, so use it wisely:

Excalibur: blinds a single target for 3 seconds; the target's screen will flash completely white, and fade back into normal view during the 3 seconds (similar to a flashbang in Call of Duty)

Loki: goes invisible for 5 seconds, however if a crosshair is passed over an invisible Loki, it will light up red to show that he is there, but just invisible (to balance out the longer period of invisible OP'ness)

Mag: instantly drains the shield of a single target, leaving them vulnerable to all damage

Rhino: greatly increases armor rating for 8 seconds, reducing all damage taken for the duration (but still taking damage)

Ash: instantly teleports to a single target, friend or foe

Ember: able to revive herself if downed (kind of like a phoenix being reborn); cooldown rules still apply, and if the cooldown is on while an Ember is downed, she will not be able to revive herself

Volt: gains a small movement speed boost for 5 seconds

Banshee: wipes out enemy radar system for 10 seconds(acts like a counter-uav on enemy minimaps)

Nyx: confuses a single target for 8 seconds, making all Tenno, friend or foe, show up as an enemy unit for that target. Friendly clan members will still not take friendly fire, but will still trigger the red crosshair and show up as an enemy on the target's minimap

Frost: freezes a single target for 3 seconds, leaving that enemy immobilized and unable to act. However, as soon as the target takes damage, the effect will end and the target will be free

Trinity: instantly ends the cooldown of a friendly target's frame ability

Nova: Casts a debuff on a single target, minorly slowing their movement speed and lowering their max health for 5 seconds

Nekros: summons a single very weak enemy Tenno of a target that Nekros has recently killed to fight for Nekros for 5 seconds

Saryn: poisons a single target, stopping shield regeneration and dealing periodic health damage for 5 seconds

Vauban: throws a sticky grenade at a single target or surface, which blows up after 2 seconds

Valkyr: uses rip line on any surface; does not pull enemies toward Valkyr, however

Oberon: casts renewal to three friendly clan members, healing them periodically for 5 seconds

Zephyr: casts turbulence for 5 seconds

To all the people dismissing PvP "on principle:"

Warframe may be a PvE focused game, but a PvP element can only help it. Face it, what most gamers want these days is a competition. We don't want to just fight stupid AI units who are far too easy, we don't just want a mindless grind, and we certainly don't want a game to introduce bullet sponges and the like to make it not laughably easy. It's far too easy to become bored of Warframe at the moment, because it's so repetitive. The conclaves are, I think, a step in the right direction, but Warframe either needs some more interesting combat (including some sort of interesting endgame), or a more significant PvP element. Preferably both. It won't survive without them.

Every PvE focused game I've seen or heard of has a PvP element. It's interesting, it's challenging, and it's fun. ESO, TOR, WOW... I could go on. Titanfall's system is a great example of a good balance--the players have their competition, both directly and indirectly, but there are also AI "Jacks" the provide some additional entertainment and challenges.

I've done my share of ranting about how stupid I think some of DE's decisions are, and how they're killing their game. They've made some improvements, but I still can't see Warframe going anywhere. And this is precisely one of the reasons. Sure, a lot of you cringe at the thought of PvP combat, but the majority of gamers want precisely that. And a free-to-play game needs a large player-base to stay in business--DE just alienates too many people for this game to be viable in the long run.

As for this idea, I think a Clan vs. Clan arena would be a great idea. I don't think that removing abilities is a good idea, particularly not to be replaced by the abilities you've suggested. It's too hard to balance out little abilities like that, especially with three minute cooldowns. Ash is nearly useless with such a lackluster ability on a three minute timer. Nova, too.

And yet, clearly, the abilities can't be full-power in the arena, else Nova and Oberon could dominate with their 25-energy ults, for example. The current conclave makes those abilities completely useless against other Tenno, which is better than the domination but still less than ideal. I am of the opinion that the abilities should have an alternate function when targeting Tenno. It wouldn't even be hard to implement, because the abilities can clearly already distinguish between targets--Chaos, for example, can tell when a boss is affected and only stuns them. Who's to say it shouldn't be able to tell when a Tenno is affected and do the same? The only time a Tenno would be affected is in the conclaves/PvP area, so it wouldn't even involve any fancy coding to switch functions depending on your game mode or location.

My suggestion is to change the energy system when in a conclave, and give each ability an appropriate cooldown. Abilities will not require energy, nor will you have to gather it--instead, abilities function solely upon their individualized timers, which the new HUD facilitates. For example, simple combat abilities that must be aimed (Shock, Fireball, Freeze, etc) will have a short cooldown, perhaps 3-8 seconds. An ability like Chaos (widespread if brief stun effect) has a huge tactical impact, and would have a more significant timer--around 30 seconds. This encourages players to build their Warframes to maximize their tactical effectiveness and longevity--not simply spamming MPrime or Reckoning for 25 energy. In other words, it would bring skill in as a factor.

Edited by Siubijeni