Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grinlok Not A Sniper Rifle!? Seriously!

PhantomBR

If you had ever used a lever action in real life you would understand. They are fairly simple (and a lot of fun) 19th century design weapons that use handgun type ammo, a large heavy bullet propelled by a proportionally small load of gunpowder unlike modern rifle ammo that has a small bullet propelled by a large amount of powder. Lever action rifles aren't nearly accurate enough to be called a "sniper rifle"

Hmmm....I'm going to quibble over your use of terms here.

What makes a firearm accurate is a combination of several factors, all of which directly contribute to consistency. Accurate shooting is when an effort is made to remove random variables from the firing scenario.  Variables like movement of the sights, the way the barrel and receiver flexes under pressure, whether there's any give in the action, and how the shooter interfaces with the weapon ergonomically. Variables of the ammunition also need to be considered: the bullet weight, bullet shape, powder charge, and burn rate all need to be exactly identical for every shot. Even variables of how the ammunition interacts with the firearm: headspacing, chamber tolerances, spin rate, bore geometry.  There's a lot of things, both gross and subtle, that lead to "accuracy".

And let me correct you in this: There is nothing intrinsically inaccurate about the concept of a lever gun. The real factor in question here is the stability of the bolt and how well and rigidly it locks up to the barrel. As long as these two components fit together properly and consistently and lock together without any play throughout the acceleration phase of the bullet, then it doesn't matter whether that bolt was pushed home by a lever hanging off the bottom or a handle sticking out the side. Now, it is conceded that MOST lever guns are not as accurate as MOST bolt action rifles. But that has little to do with the mechanical ideals of the two designs and everything to do with priorities in manufacture: lever guns typically prioritize fast and easy operation instead of accuracy because, as you point out,  most lever guns are shooting slow moving chunks of lead and that is where the inherent accuracy loss comes from.

It bears mention that the rifles that nearly exterminated the wild buffalo off the face of the planet mostly fired .45-70 and .45-90 cartridges.  Large, slow-moving bullets with typical "hunting" (term used loosely and with disgust) scenarios dictated shots from hundreds of yards away. Also, competitive shooting was a huge sport in the 19th century and long range matches sometimes involved shooting such chunks of lead at targets out at 1000 yards. But I'm sure, like most people, when you think of lever action rifles you think of something firing the .45 Colt or similar cartridge not the much more serious .45-70.

"When I made the gun it looked like a sniper rifle. It looks like it much more than a machine gun! I was surprised when there was no scope and it picked up rifle ammo. (Not sure what this sentence even says). As a machine gun it's terrible, but it's awesome as a sniper rifle. With a sniper it has an actual scope, and even then (not sure what this was either)."

I tried...

I admire your efforts. 

On Topic...at least from what Rosing translated, I don't mind a heavy hitter in the rifle category...it carries the feel of a scopeless rifle. The Lever-action only makes it feel more old-school. 

Just because it's a semi-auto heavy hitting rifle it doesn't have to be a sniper rifle. Personally, I love semi-auto scopeless rifles in games, much more than actual sniper rifles. I'm glad the Latron is no longer all alone in this category and am looking forward to building the Grinlok. So no, please don't turn it into a sniper rifle.

I think DE was not aiming for the Grinlok to be a Sniper rifle, I think it was supposed to be a Carbine-like weapon so you don't have to hate on it. Some people like weapons like that because they have the accuracy and Damage of a sniper rifle but you don't have to use a scope every time you shoot to make sure you hit the target. The Grinlok makes for a accurate one-hit kill weapon that you can use quickly and accurately.

Edited by Mirakid