Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's Up With Warframe's Steam Release?

aMannus

So, Warframe has been released on Steam. Apart from seeing no actual download link on the Steam, it also doesn't say anywhere that the game is still in open beta. On top of that, the second trailer that was added says 'Warframe Launch Trailer'.

Please don't tell me the game actually went into full release. First of all, why the hell is DE so silent about this? Second of all, if the game ISN'T in full release, why the hell is this not mentioned on Steam at all?

I've been loving DE the past time since I've started playing this game, but there's more and more signs showing this is going down a wrong path. The hell is happening?

EDIT: Seems a different thread was opened about this 7 minutes ago that I didn't see before starting this, but point still stands. Apart from all the whining that might occur once Steam players hit the forums, I still would like to see some clarity why this is all happening like it is. Entering Open Beta was way too silent already, are they making the same mistake about a week later?

Edited by aMannus

They intentionally soft-launched Open Beta. I imagine because marketing deadlines forced their hands, what with Pax East and the Steam launch.

https://warframe.com...frame-open-beta

Except that the banner for Open Beta was already on Rock Paper Scissors before anyone even HEARD about the game going into Open Beta around 2 or 3 days before that post was made. If you don't call that silent I don't know what is.

Perhaps a case of a mistaken embargo on that info? Also, it's not like it was ever hard to get a beta key for this game.. Closed beta just meant you had to google. Why is this worth being upset about? They're an independent developer. I take that to mean a lot of people have to wear a lot of hats because they just don't have the resources of a big shop. Maybe I'm wrong and they're losing their mojo, but my first guess would be they are working their collective asses off with a lot of deadlines (which I almost spelled deadaliens).

Perhaps a case of a mistaken embargo on that info? Also, it's not like it was ever hard to get a beta key for this game.. Closed beta just meant you had to google. Why is this worth being upset about? They're an independent developer. I take that to mean a lot of people have to wear a lot of hats because they just don't have the resources of a big shop. Maybe I'm wrong and they're losing their mojo, but my first guess would be they are working their collective asses off with a lot of deadlines (which I almost spelled deadaliens).

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are working their &#! off on the game right now, especially because there was a lot of deadlines lately. I also don't care if the game is in either Closed Beta, Open Beta or full release, but it's being used as a promotional tool. That means you want to inform players before stuff like that actually happens. It also appears that they don't have their own plans straighten up if stuff like the Open Beta advertisement happens. Also, in the case of the Steam page, it's been said earlier that it didn't say it was in Closed Beta, and DE_Steve has 'only' just responded he acknowledged the fault. You're talking about a Steam release, a big thing in the promotion of the game. It's silly to not read the description on your own game before it's being set online, and honestly, this was so easily avoidable I'm asking myself why it even went through like this.

All I'm saying, there's been a lot of small mistakes from DE lately, they need to watch out. I'm not saying this because I personally care, but I do care where this game ends up, and if these kinds of mistakes keep coming it might be bad news. I still love the game personally and the amount of interaction between the developers and the community (especially before it went sort of silent just before update 7 and afterwards), that doesn't mean I can't criticize them for their mistakes, even if it's for their own good.

Restart steam if you are having problems downloading or if you can't find a DL link. Before I restarted, I clicked "Play Game" and it took me to another page.

After restart, when I click "Play Game" it promts me to select a download location.

And I forgot Steam now lets you creat edifferent game directories. Putting WarFrame on this super fast OCZ Vector SSD. Lets Go, Tenno!

BTW, DE mentioned they're glad to be on steam because it will give them much added exposure. The game can be seen on the home page under new releases. But it should state this is Open Beta. Or in celebration of Open Beta WF is now on Steam.

Edited by RawGritz