Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Titan Extractor Change/new Mission Idea: Resource Gathering Mission

SoulStealer64

The Tenno need resources like all the other factions in this game right? And while we seem to be gathering most of our resources from Grineer and Corpus corpses, it would make sense that the Tenno faction would mine for some of their resources as well as loot it from their enemies.

Hence, we have our titan extractors, but titan extractors take damage from time to time, which therefore implies that they are attacked from time to time by the other factions.

What I would like to see happen, is rather than taking damage, extractors would gather less resources every 4 hours (maybe a quarter the current amount), but would stockpile into your resource pool immediately allowing them to continue gathering without a login every 4 hours. To counter this, however, the extractors could be attacked/disabled/captured by a faction from time to time. When this happens, the extractor will stop gathering for you, but can be reactivated by running a personal alert to recover the extractor. Once reactivated, they would be safe for 24 hours before being at risk of attack.

This alert would be a unique mission, first the player would have to search through a random tileset from that world and find the extractor (no waypoint, they would have to manually find it) then they would have to hack the extractor to reactivate it (like the normal hacking, but with a series of hacks to complete the hack that need to be done in a row). Following this, they would have to exterminate the rest of the enemies.

I think this would alleviate the extractors being a "secondary login reward" as i have heard them called again, and bring an interesting new mechanic to them.

I am open to any suggestions of changes to this idea, so please don't be afraid to comment with ideas of your own.

Edited by SoulStealer64

To play devil's advocate, one of the nice features of the extractors is that they play very nicely with casual players by allowing them to make a bit of additional progress on the side. While a player who is actively gathering resources currently easily outstrips what an extractor can do, the resources gained by extractors (once they unlock the planets, admittedly) can be really nice for players who don't have very much time to play.

By essentially requiring missions to be run to maintain them, implementing this idea might reduce the relevance of the extractors to casual players. Players who play more regularly still won't get as much out of them, either, as it's unlikely that they'd be buffed to the degree that the additional resources ever competed with farming. If they did, players probably wouldn't ever gather materials by hand under most circumstances.

I dig the concept, though :]

Edited by Seox

What about Extractor Defense mission? :D

With resources as rewards

I think that'd be really cool - if it were done independent of changing extractors, it'd preserve their place for casual players while providing a different way to farm for resources. What's more, it might be possible to make successful missions prevent existing extractors from taking damage during deployment or something like that.

To play devil's advocate, one of the nice features of the extractors is that they play very nicely with casual players by allowing them to make a bit of additional progress on the side. While a player who is actively gathering resources currently easily outstrips what an extractor can do, the resources gained by extractors (once they unlock the planets, admittedly) can be really nice for players who don't have very much time to play.

By essentially requiring missions to be run to maintain them, implementing this idea might reduce the relevance of the extractors to casual players. Players who play more regularly still won't get as much out of them, either, as it's unlikely that they'd be buffed to the degree that the additional resources ever competed with farming. If they did, players probably wouldn't ever gather materials by hand under most circumstances.

I was thinking this the entire time. to be honest, I've got plenty of time so it wouldn't effect me as much, maybe if it was an addition, maybe make them run better instead of to maintain them.

THIS is what I'd like to see, some Defense missions moved to Extractor Defense, with the option to extract with the resources every 5 minutes (for increasing amounts each time).

There is this game, FireFall that has a similar concept, except for the Warframe varient, you'd go to the planet that already has the extractor installed.

I also think that extractors need some love. They are a great way to make some materials on the side as said above and they do work relatively well. Some interesting changes would be if when they broke down due to whatever, you could retrieve them through a personal alert mission, me likie. Also I think they should be repairable once retrieved or even before they break. it would be something like the drones in the movie Oblivion w/ Tom Cruise, how they send out a pulse signal saying that they are in need of help. Maybe we could have a repair kit in the gear section for when we reach the machine and we activate it and place it on the extractor and it would become like a mini-def mission and you have to wait for the repair... but this is only if you don't make it in time to repair it before it breaks. Otherwise you just collect it and repair it in the foundry, somehow. it would also be cool if we could program it to go after a specific resource. It wouldn't guarantee that it would work, but rather give a higher chance percentage of it finding what you are looking for, something like how the precepts in a sentinel denote what action it will take 1st.

it would also be cool if we could program it to go after a specific resource. It wouldn't guarantee that it would work, but rather give a higher chance percentage of it finding what you are looking for, something like how the precepts in a sentinel denote what action it will take 1st.

This would be great, perhaps it has a greater chance of being attacked the higher rarity the resource is?

I also like this idea. Maybe add this to the extractors setup in order to make resource farming far less tedious and slightly less RNG based.

I had actually thought of this issue, but I was unsure of how to address it properly. This morning however I came up with an idea. What if people on your friends list could run the missions for you. If they did this, they would get a small amount of the resources gathered (added to the normal amount still going to the player) for a short while. perhaps the duration of its 'Grace time' where it is unable to be attacked. If multiple friends did the mission together, then the resources would be split between them. Members of your clan could also possibly be able to do this, and maybe they could choose whether the resources could go to the clan vault rather than themselves (a feature I think they need to add to normal extractor gathering). This way, there is heavy motivation to help out your friends with their extractor situations, as they lose nothing and you gain from it.

What do you think?

Edited by SoulStealer64