Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Would You Think Of Mini Bosses?

WhiteCopain

Sort of what the topic title says. There's currently a rather large difference between the regular unit and a boss (Compare normal infested to the Golem) in both design and difficulty. While certain heavy units exist (heavy gunners, Ancients, techs), they're not really difficult or more interesting. In most games they would be considered the mid scale enemies, something you worry about just a bit above the common one (mostly because they'll be knocking you on the ground and stuff).

So what would happen if mini bosses were introduced? Limited to specific types of missions (or on a low spawn chance) and providing a rare material (such as a cell) on death, and maybe a rare mod or something, but not anything on the level of a Warframe or weapon.

A good for instance of where a Mini boss could show up would be on Defense and Survival missions, since new enemy types are added as wave/time increases, a Mini boss could be thrown in here or there as a result. There wouldn't ever be more then one per mission (or one per ~5 waves/minutes), and they would be rare spawns even when the conditions were met, but they could allow for a lot of interesting gameplay.

Currently very little honestly puts up a fight, and while defense is a lot of fun, there's no real variety to it. Throwing in a strong mob into the mix would add a lot more complication and interest. Imagine for a second that you had a lot of Infested swarming a pod but then a bigger one steps out shooting acid everywhere, you'd have to decide to handle the threat of getting swarmed or the threat of having to watch your footing lest you take heavy damage.

I think it would be neat if Minibosses, while not immune to powers, could resist them in some form... Instances would taking full damage from them, but not flung across the stage by Zephyr's Tornado; or getting slowed by Nova's ult, but not for the full amount it normally does.

Since they're Mini bosses, they wouldn't have as High HP of a boss, nor an intro or anything like that, but I would suggest having some kind of noise that they make to warn people they're coming, one louder then others.

Anyway, that's just kind of my ideas with it, If other people would like to see a bit more risk/reward through minibosses, I'd love to hear ideas on them or if you wouldn't like it, it'd be nice to hear why!

Well actually, DE recently put in the Leaders. Basicly any unit exists as a Leader version, given more life/powers. They are quite rare (didnt notice more than 1-3 per Mission now) and pretty much a base concept of what u are asking for. And excluding the HighEndgame players who can singlehandedly steamroll anything below lvl 60 enemies in High survival/defence, they actually are a challenge. 

Well actually, DE recently put in the Leaders. Basicly any unit exists as a Leader version, given more life/powers. They are quite rare (didnt notice more than 1-3 per Mission now) and pretty much a base concept of what u are asking for. And excluding the HighEndgame players who can singlehandedly steamroll anything below lvl 60 enemies in High survival/defence, they actually are a challenge. 

Leaders are a step in the right direction, but unless they're on an ancient/Heavy gunner, you don't even notice they exist the vast majority of the time (The ones you do notice, you notice because of the visual placed on you).

I'm talking a genuine Mini boss that has harder base mechanics then your average mob and must be treated with special attention as they have special mechanics that aren't just shoot bang them down... which leaders are since their effects end the moment they die.

It almost sounds like you want to transfer some of the aspects found in Left4Dead and Killing Floor over to Warframe in terms of the gradual introduction of special enemy spawns in the form of different Mini-boss types. Thus adding more variety to the mobs of enemies by increasing the inherent danger in our survival via these more difficult, high treat level spawns to keep us on our toes. 

my_favorite_upvote_gif-62012.gif

Edited by yuio678

Mini bosses could be an interesting addition to the game, however i feel that DE should focus more on the designs of the current bosses in the game. Many bosses, while each with their own gimmick, fails to require large amounts of strategy to take down, especially for end game players. Instead of just adding more mediocre content to the game, they should improve the content that already exists.

Never forget, Warbros #1