Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unique And Dynamic Warframe - Laban

Kai

Community Attention:

Since I'm fairly new and I just heard about this Melee 2.0, why not help me out and make Laban one of the possible Warframe to come out? - So for now, I laid some basic concepts of his abilities (made by me and one suggested by The_Sharp_Demonologist). This Warframe is designed for Melee Combat and Survival (evidence for his signature Grab and Lock Ability if you guys like) and the ability to chain his skills to achieve different effects. With numerous possibilities and move, I ask you Warframe Community to help me flesh out the BEST possible skill and the BEST possible combinations with the other 3 that will be made with you guys. =)

Laban

Codex Entry:

A brawler Warframe that relies solely on long-lost martial arts to pulverize his enemies, Laban can quickly overwhelm his foes with a flurry of punches and kicks without leaving room for retaliation.

• Health: 80.0
  • Power: 100.0
  • Armor: 15.0
  • Shield Capacity: 80.0
  • Sprint: 1.25
  • Stamina: 100.0

Power #1 - 30 Energy Energy_small.png and 10 Stamina

Breaking Point

Laban charges forward, grabbing the first enemy hit before continuously ramming enemies in a line.

• Deals 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 18px-Impact_b.png Impact Damage for each enemy unit in collision to the grabbed target . Duration may be increased by Power Strength Mods.
  • Enemy units struck by Laban during Breaking Point are Knocked Down.
  • Lasts for 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 seconds. May be increased by Power Duration Mods.
  • While Breaking Point is active, Laban is constantly Sprinting and is unable to Jump, Slide, Cling to Walls or Dodge - Breaking Point may end upon exhaustion of Stamina, upon end of duration or once the grabbed target dies.
  • May grab anything not larger than Laban nor a flying unit. This may include Infested and MOAs.

= = = = =

Power #2 - 30 Energy Energy_small.png and 20 Stamina

Bonebreaker

Laban strikes in front of him, piercing defensive factors and dealing heavy damage.

• Deals 300 / 450 / 700 / 950 damage and additional 5% of the target's remaining Shield as damage. Both damage and percentage may be increased by Power Strength Mods.
  • If used during Grab and Lock, Bonebreaker immediately deals double damage (both the base damage and percentage damage) and drops the grabbed target.
  • Cannot be used while jumping, sliding, clinging to a wall or executing a front flip.
  • May be used on knocked down enemies.
  • Has a 2 seconds delay between uses.

= = = = =

Power #3 - 30 Energy Energy_small.png and 20 Stamina

Swift Sweep

Laban performs a sweeping kick around him, knocking all nearby enemies down.

• Has a meter wide radius.
  • If used during Grab and Lock, Swift Sweep instead knock the grabbed enemy 2 / 4 / 6 / 8 meters away, dealing 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 damage for every enemy collision during flight. May be increased by Power Range Mods and Power Strength Mods.
  • Cannot be used while clinging to a wall.
  • Has a 2 seconds delay between uses.

= = = = =

Power #4 -  30 Energy Energy_small.png and 25 Stamina

Grab and Lock

Laban grabs his target, preventing the enemy from moving and causes them to act as a meat shield for Laban while dealing sustained damage.

• Has a 1 meter target range.
  • Grabs the target for 3 / 5 / 7 / 10 seconds, causing all frontal attacks to be directed against the grabbed enemy. May be increased by Power Duration Mods.
  • Deals 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 damage each second. May be increased by Power Strength Mods.
  • While grabbing a target, Laban's movement speed is reduced by 30% and may not Sprint, Jump or perform Melee Attacks but may still shoot with Primary and Secondary Weapons.
  • Performing Breaking Point while already grabbing a target, will immediately shift into Grab and Lock, not dropping the target.
  • If used after Bonebreaker, Grab and Lock does not reduce Laban's Movement Speed for the duration.
  • If used after Swift Sweep, Grab and Lock slams the chosen target back into the ground, dealing 200 / 250 / 300 / 350 damage in a 3 meter wide radius before being grabbed. May be increased by Power Strength Mods.
  • May not grab Infested Enemies or enemies larger than Laban.
  • Can be used while jumping, sliding, clinging to a wall or executing a front flip.

Appearance

Although I don't have pictures to present to you guys, here is what I imagine him to be - although other artist's depiction (if any) are well accepted.

Laban appears as a slim and sleek warframe, with a standard gray and white color. His head appears humanoid, with a thin visor acting as his vision. Laban's most prominent feature is his uniquely adorned bandages wrapped in his elbows and his thighs. 

Remarks and Overview

Laban is a versatile yet fragile melee warframe, while Melee Range is greatly frowned upon due to the range simply being straight upfront against your enemy is not the ideal choice. Laban has numerous ways to approach his enemies and cause chaos in the matter of seconds. 

First is how his Skills are presented, costing a mere 30 Energy with an addition of 25 Stamina allows players to perform intricate combos. While lacking an ultimate move, Laban can achieve various effects by chaining his 3 primary skills - Bonebreaker, Swift Sweep and Grab and Lock.

His first skill, Dragon Charge - is Laban's primary utility in closing distance against his targets and stunning them momentarily, allowing players to plan for their combo in brief seconds. If used without chaining his abilities, Dragon Charge alone allows Laban to control the battlefield by moving and stunning several enemies for his allies to kill. Additionally, Dragon Charge serves as a way to recharge your Stamina, by means of killing the target while they are stunned allowing you to recover and launch another devastating combo as long as your Energy can last.

Bonebreaker is a very close yet devastating single-target attack. Laban simply launches a powerful punch enough to pierce the target's shield, dealing a large amount of damage and converting 5% of the target's shield as damage, breaking the target's shield or if not, outright - killing the target in a single blow. If used against a stunned target with Dragon Charge, it helps Laban recover a small portion of his shield. If used after Swift Sweep, it instead sends a damaging wave of energy around him, although dealing lesser damage - allows Laban to deal damage to a large amount of enemies around him. If used during Grab and Lock, it functions as a killing move.

Swift Sweep acts as a Crowd Control tool, preventing Laban from being swarmed. Combined with his other abilities, Laban can achieve more than a crowd control. If used on a stunned target with Dragon Charge, it permanently disarms them of their weapons, forcing them to fight in close range. If used after Bonebreaker, it causes enemies to temporarily stop regaining their shields, allowing Laban to quickly dispatch numerous enemies without worrying about their shields from regaining. Lastly, using Swift Sweep during Grab and Lock launches your poor target forward in the air, dealing a variable amount of damage depending on how many enemies it has collided with.

Grab and Lock acts as a defensive skill, like its namesake - it grabs an enemy that serves as your secondary shield against bullets and projectiles. Although it only protects you in the front, it will certainly save you in dire situations, especially from an incoming Grineer or Corpus army. Combining it with Bonebreaker, while it softens your secondary shield, it allows Laban to move as normal, allowing him to safely transverse the terrain without having time as a problem. If used after Swift Sweep, it deals an additional damage around Laban, allowing him to destroy his enemies before his meat shield expires.

Overall, Laban is a unique melee warframe that presents an alternative to gunplay.

OLD / ALTERNATIVE ABILITIES

Power #1 - 30 Energy Energy_small.png and 20 Stamina

Dragon Charge

Laban marks his target and quickly charges forward, stunning the target with a paralyzing strike.

• Has a 10 / 12 / 14 / 16 meter target range. Targeting range may be increased by Power Range Mods.
  • Stuns the target for 2 / 2.5 / 3 / 3.5 seconds. Duration may be increased by Power Duration Mods.
  • Killing a target while stunned by Dragon Charge causes Laban to regain 20 Stamina. Stamina regained may be increased by Power Strength Mods.
  • Must target an enemy. Upon marking with Dragon Charge, Laban gains 50 / 52 / 54 / 56 speed.
  • If the target dies before Laban reaches his target, he immediately stops.
  • Can be used while jumping, sliding, clinging to a wall or executing a front flip.

Edited by AlterDevil

• 2 weeks later...

I think the idea is good. But only good. It could be better. As of now, Valkyr was pretty much the brawler warframe due to Hystaria and the ability to have "brass knuckle" like melee weapons. If you could somehow make it less similar to valkyr, I think it could be a pretty sick warframe.

Edit:

The powers arnt too similar to Valkyr, but the style and personality seems to be. Also, this could get a little too close to Ash's gameplay because he is also an up close and personal style fighter. The classic ninja.

Edited by (PS4)Klein_TK

Its an interresting idea but as others have said its a bit too similar to Ash and Valkyr, by that i mean what this guy does they already cover it.

You see when creating a frame you need to give it its own thing, a trademark skill or work that others cant cover while also making his other skills meaningfull.

A good example of this is Frost: His snowglobe is godlike however his other two skills are always thrown away cause they have no real purpose other than damage and his Ult already takes care of it. On the other hand all Vauban are usefull in their own way, Zap grenades to defend, Bounce for @(*()$ around or get into higher plances if needed, Vortex as a "OH S#&$" button when surrounded and Baliste a great stasis field. And so one and so forth.

Now for your guy the only Meaningfull skills i see are bonebreaker and Grab and Lock also the idea that Each skill interact whit the other is good but need some more... how should i say... Exiting moves to go along whit the two i mentioned. I would say take a look at some over-the-top action fighting movies/Anime, play some fighting games and see what can inspire you in a new moveset. I suggest you take a look at King in Street Fighter X Tekken the guy has some very intricate combos where he Chains move after move. Also the new Gauntlets on the Multiplayer of God of War: Ascension have some cool ideas you should look at.

Oh and dont forget how Melee 2.0 will affect him, maybe some of your skills (like Grab and Lock) may be featured as Melee combos in the new System.

Overall is a very good idea you just need to work on it a bit more and also see how Melee 2.0 will affect him. I think that a Melee centered Warframe would be perfect to represent the patch that brings Melee 2.0.

Sorry for the long post and keep pn the good work :D

GOT AN IDEA!

Breaking point: Laban charges toward a selected target, once he reaches it he will grab him and continue moving foward using his victim as a meatshield. The target takes damage (Puncture? Impact?) in the first hit and extra damage each time they collide whit another enemy. Laban can change the direction he will travel once he grabs an enemy.

Cannot be used on enemies bigger than him but can be used in infested.

Range on both charges can be increased by mods

Enemies hit by the second charge or are in the way of Laban will take damage and nocked down.

Its like that charge you use in god of war where Kratos gabs and enemy and rushed to hit others whit it. Its a pretty fun idea and would work wonders when chained whit new skills, also i dont think that will be part of Melee 2.0

I got other ideas but need to construct them better. 

Edited by The_Sharp_Demonologist

Its an interresting idea but as others have said its a bit too similar to Ash and Valkyr, by that i mean what this guy does they already cover it.

You see when creating a frame you need to give it its own thing, a trademark skill or work that others cant cover while also making his other skills meaningfull.

A good example of this is Frost: His snowglobe is godlike however his other two skills are always thrown away cause they have no real purpose other than damage and his Ult already takes care of it. On the other hand all Vauban are usefull in their own way, Zap grenades to defend, Bounce for @(*()$ around or get into higher plances if needed, Vortex as a "OH S#&$" button when surrounded and Baliste a great stasis field. And so one and so forth.

Now for your guy the only Meaningfull skills i see are bonebreaker and Grab and Lock also the idea that Each skill interact whit the other is good but need some more... how should i say... Exiting moves to go along whit the two i mentioned. I would say take a look at some over-the-top action fighting movies/Anime, play some fighting games and see what can inspire you in a new moveset. I suggest you take a look at King in Street Fighter X Tekken the guy has some very intricate combos where he Chains move after move. Also the new Gauntlets on the Multiplayer of God of War: Ascension have some cool ideas you should look at.

Oh and dont forget how Melee 2.0 will affect him, maybe some of your skills (like Grab and Lock) may be featured as Melee combos in the new System.

Overall is a very good idea you just need to work on it a bit more and also see how Melee 2.0 will affect him. I think that a Melee centered Warframe would be perfect to represent the patch that brings Melee 2.0.

Sorry for the long post and keep pn the good work :D

GOT AN IDEA!

Breaking point: Laban charges toward a selected target, once he reaches it he will grab him and continue moving foward using his victim as a meatshield. The target takes damage (Puncture? Impact?) in the first hit and extra damage each time they collide whit another enemy. Laban can change the direction he will travel once he grabs an enemy.

Cannot be used on enemies bigger than him but can be used in infested.

Range on both charges can be increased by mods

Enemies hit by the second charge or are in the way of Laban will take damage and nocked down.

Its like that charge you use in god of war where Kratos gabs and enemy and rushed to hit others whit it. Its a pretty fun idea and would work wonders when chained whit new skills, also i dont think that will be part of Melee 2.0

I got other ideas but need to construct them better. 

I like it but question is - to replace Dragon Charge? or Grab and Lock (since they look rather similar though I don't mind a Grappler-type thing Warframe). I'll add in your suggestion and place another list of sub-abilities for alternatives.

EDIT: BTW Thanks for the Feedback guys! I really appreciate it! I'll take note of the things commented. =)

Edited by AlterDevil