Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Portent

xShadowsaur

This is my little stab at a fan concept but I was told this idea may be interesting and I should put it here.

This would be for an infested boss/RNG boss (Like the stalker/Grustrag three/Harvester). I'd call it the Portent.

Imagine an infested beast, an octoped, it's skin slimy and a deep sickening green in color, only broken up by the red bioluminescent parts natural to infested and the open pores on it's body releasing a steady flow of mist and on command and concentration he produces a sickly green and toxic mist. An old and heavily mutated infested he shows little to no humanity left within him. He moves around on eight mighty clawed tentacles, with his only goal being to spread the Technocyte virus. Everybody's been wondering how does it spread and here's how. Bits of armor from his former self show on his torso while a single face resides dead center (It could be a corpus mask or a grineer mask, or it could switch out randomly).

Portents would be launched in pods created by the infested to break  through the hulls of ships and once security measures comes in he releases the virus and starts infesting the crew. He brings the pestilence. While not fast his mist goes far, planting those tendrils that grow off the walls as he goes and infesting what crewmen come near him to make a continual marauding force.
What he lacks in speed he makes up for in his tough hide and his ability to infest and once his mission is done he spins a new pod for himself and the infested shoot into space again, directed by the intelligent Infested. While he is in the front lines that does not mean he leads the army forever. Sooner or later a boss, such as Phorid, must come in and take his place before he goes and much spread the Technocyte.

He attacks with a combination of slashing, shrouding himself in mist, he must stand still to shroud himself in poison, launching poison projectiles, and lesser (non ancient) infested to his aid.

Imagine an explosion on the ship and the lotus saying "Tenno, forget your mission. We have much graver things on hand. A Portent has landed. Slay it and exterminate all Infested on board". It would be great potential to introduce infested into more aspects of the game without necessarily there being an infestation (if you kill the Portent or drive him off then the infestation cannot being. And since the Portent isn't a single being but a strain of the Technocyte, but a rare one, he can be used repeatedly).

He could talk to the players, say things like "Our flesh ... here ... already? Join us..."

Just my two credits thrown out there. Hope you guys enjoy, maybe he'll work his way into the game some day. He still probably needs work, I'll edit accordingly if you guys have good ideas.

This reminds me of a infested boss idea I thought up call 'The Condemneded' that I never really mention until just now.

This reminds me of a infested boss idea I thought up call 'The Condemned' that I never really mention until just now.

I'm sorry i suppose? Any thoughts?

sure, sounds like fun. then the infested would not only invade planetary nodes, but could invade mid-mission, similar to the grineer/corpus takeovers we see randomly. now the shoe would be on the other foot

Any thoughts on what? :|

the Portent/Condemned (both good names, btw), clearly

sure, sounds like fun. then the infested would not only invade planetary nodes, but could invade mid-mission, similar to the grineer/corpus takeovers we see randomly. now the shoe would be on the other foot

the Portent/Condemned (both good names, btw), clearly

Thank you, that's what I was going for. Just think of it. You're on a mission and walkway through doing whatever you were doing there's a loud crashing noise, the ship trembles and the Lotus frantically tells you of your changed objective. He doesn't have to be near you when he crashed. In fact, it'd be better if he was farther so he could get a small set of guards.

I personally dislike the name "Condemned" because it really has little to do with what he is does and Portent is a little used word, it's more mysterious then. And he is a portent for things to come.

I think it would serve well to portray the conscious assimilation being undertaken by the Infested. I know that DE already has plans to expand on what we currently have with Infested Ships being piloted by sentient Infested in order to invade.

Thank you very much, but I was under the impression that the infested's larger ones (the bosses in particular) are sentient (they do speak to you) and the fact that they speak to you without using technology implies they have psychic ability which would explain how they control their underlings.

I personally dislike the name "Condemned" because it really has little to do with what he is does and Portent is a little used word, it's more mysterious then. And he is a portent for things to come.

That idea is because the people unfortunate enough to have come across it and be assimilated have now been condemned, forever merge with the abomination, a sure and permanent sentence to everlasting misery, hopeless and forever doomed to be a part of it.

Edited by Kiyryite

That idea is because the people unfortunate enough to have come across it and be assimilated are have now been condemned, forever merge with the abomination, hopeless and forever doomed to be a part of it.

Yeah, but Portent also works. It is a word.

"a sign or warning that something, esp. something momentous or calamitous, is likely to happen."

And it is the start of such a calamity, is it not?

Yeah, but Portent also works. It is a word.

"a sign or warning that something, esp. something momentous or calamitous, is likely to happen."

And it is the start of such a calamity, is it not?

True...

Man, I wish DE would put things like this in the game! [-_-]

Edited by Kiyryite

True...

Man, I wish DE would put things like this in the game! [-_-]

Hopefully if enough people upvote this and talk about it they'll take notice!

Imagine an event called "Pestilence Vivere" in which the infested come back En Masse, massive swarms of Portents to throw back the tide of both Corpus and Grineer and they reclaim nodes. It could come with new tilesets, new strains of the infested (new enemy types), different objectives per node. Some nodes you might have to somehow get into the center of a newfound hive and poison it out of existence, others you kill the Portent or whatever took leader, others you take whatever Data of the facility you can or rescue what civilians remain so you can get information. Stuff like that. Innovation!

Mostly I'm tired of no starmap nodes with the Infested. They shouldn't be just an annoyance. they should be an overhanging threat, a constant battle for the very fate of humanity hanging in the balance. They should at least have Eris. Kicking them off Eris before making a boss for it was silly.