The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yep, We're Doomed.

AfroGamerNinja

I don't see how this will really effect the game. Other than people having to look into the game to actually find out you can play without paying.

Doesn't really affect anything but having to change the tag. They'll find another term to refer to it. Like... "Almost free"... nah, sounds horrible. Ideas?

I think the cash shops will have to be disclosed in fine print. I think it's a step in the right direction. It'll be easier to sort the good games from the pay-to-win trash.

Nothing will change in the games, just what you call em and what kind of information will be available up front.

"free to play the basic game"

I'm thinking it's not necessarily aimed at computer games that are free to play. Probably mobile games tied to a google play or apple id. Kids do enjoy clicking things to get more just because credit card info has been saved in the account.

So, children making IAPs, which requires the set-up of a payment method, which requires a credit card/paypal/direct transfers from a bank ect. is now a problem for developers and publishers? Parents don't get to complain about "unexpected bills" when they allow their children to have access to ANY of the above. Especially if the account being charged is not the child's own, AND isn't controlled through the many spending limit/funds required systems in place.

Not to mention a LOT of free to play games also have purchasable point cards, that can help control spending in a game, by not having ANY financial accounts linked.

Take some damned responsibility people...

Play for Free ?

Still pretty much the same. If this gets through, they'll probably forbid publishers from using "free" in the game's description. If the commission is the one deciding the tag, it'll probably end up being something hilariously inappropriate in the eye of us gamers. "Optional in-game purchase" perhaps...

Glad someone is getting on the industry. Last 10yrs so called F2P is horrible, minus well play P2P with the P2W F2Ps out there. Thats why they say LoL is so successful, it's not P2W despite being very popular and pvp base.

A lot of good games get ruined by greed. So in turn a lot of consumers get a lot of their time wasted. That doesn't work out as a good enough excuse on paper? then back it with this story/excuse they have now with kids and their spending, Lol

Last 10yrs so called F2P is horrible, minus well play P2P with the P2W F2Ps out there.

There are almost as many acronyms than there are words on that sentence, it's making my head spin.

EDIT: I've found another article on the subject!

7qIfzSX.jpg

Edited by Guest

So... they only thing DE has to do is change the Free-To-Play part and Warframe is saved?

Yes!

I don't know why, but people seem to be thinking this is some kind of death sentence for F2P games. It's not!

This only means they'll have to change the "free-to-play" term to something less potentially misleading. The commission is not going to make this business model illegal or anything like it, it's only a matter of terminology.

Look, not trying to stomp all over your topic, but I think the EU stuff is more aimed at games like the recent Dungeon Keeper (in which you can play for free, but very little, and you have to spend money in order to speed things up or access other areas). Think Farmville, for example

Yes!

I don't know why, but people seem to be thinking this is some kind of death sentence for F2P games. It's not!

This only means they'll have to change the "free-to-play" term to something less potentially misleading. The commission is not going to make this business model illegal or anything like it, it's only a matter of terminology.

F2PUYWTBBTTOITITCYCOSMIOTGAISMOJCC Games.

"Free-To-Play-Unless-You-Want-To-Be-Better-Than-The-Others-If-That-Is-The-Case-You-Can-Optionally-Spend-Money-In-Order-To-Gain-Advantage-In-Some-Way-Or-Just-Cosmetic-Changes" Games.

There, I saved Warframe.

Edited by Damuranashi

F2PUYWTBBTTOITITCYCOSMIOTGAISMOJCC Games.

"Free-To-Play-Unless-You-Want-To-Be-Better-Than-The-Others-If-That-Is-The-Case-You-Can-Optionally-Spend-Money-In-Order-To-Gain-Advantage-In-Some-Way-Or-Just-Cosmetic-Changes" Games.

There, I saved Warframe.

And you destroyed the keyboard.

There are almost as many acronyms than there are words on that sentence, it's making my head spin.

EDIT: I've found another article on the subject!

7qIfzSX.jpg

Oh stop over-reacting, there isn't nearly as half. But I could have made it so, I am an ill rhyme slayer after all  :D

Ads. Ads everywhere.

Yea, other games have this already. I would not be surprise to see more of this popping up -_-

Oh stop over-reacting, there isn't nearly as half. But I could have made it so, I am an ill rhyme slayer after all  :D

LOL no please, on second thought that sentence was just fine.

Yea, other games have this already. I would not be surprise to see more of this popping up -_-

Games with ads in them? Thank the stars I've never seen any... I'd run away as fast as my Alt+F4 could take me.

Probably will never happen. They've been called F2P or Freemium games for a long time and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Games with ads in them? Thank the stars I've never seen any... I'd run away as fast as my Alt+F4 could take me.

Yeah, well, you obviously haven't played Quake Live.

Edited by Volume