Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ignis Should Have Guaranteed Fire Proc/higher Status

NikolaiLev

The Ignis is a familiar weapon.  But since Damage 2.0 its abilities to set targets on fire is sorely lacking.  I'd like this to be addressed; giving it a guaranteed fire proc like the Acrid would make it a more interesting and satisfying weapon to use.

That said, this would cause problems in that fire procs also inflict a stunned animation.  But this is a simple solution; make the Ignis' innate fire proc not inflict the "arms flailing" stunned animation; that should only occur after a few seconds of focusing on one target, or as a result of the weapon's status %.

The fire DoT wouldn't have to deal much; I'm pretty sure status effects scale based on the damage of the weapon anyway.  I wouldn't mind if the Ignis received reduced damage and/or reload speed for this.

I was going to say that this might not work because fire procs cause targets to panic and flail around, but you mentioned that too.

Another possibility is to add diminishing returns to the panic caused by the fire dot. Example: First instance of fire dot, causes target to panic. Next instance lasts shorter. Third is no panic effect (immunity).

The fire DoT wouldn't have to deal much; I'm pretty sure status effects scale based on the damage of the weapon anyway.  I wouldn't mind if the Ignis received reduced damage and/or reload speed for this.

no change needed at all, honestly. because the Damage scales based on the Damage that causes the Status Effect, the DoT's wouldn't be very impressive even with lots of Mods.

because Continuous Weapons have a very low Damage per 'shot'. 

well, apparently it's not technically difficult or DE didnt think of it, just look at acrid and castanas. for now it seems DE think ignis is fine as it is. and u know this has been asked since damage 2.0, so i guess this is one of those "i dont give a sh$t" moments by DE

"This ability should have 100% proc! Making an ice wave that doesn't freeze enemies makes no sense!"

"This weapon should have 100% proc! A toxic pod launcher whose gas damages enemies without poisoning them makes no sense!"

"This weapon should have 100% proc! A flamethrower that doesn't set things on fire makes no sense!"

Instead of taking the time to individually band-aid each of these weapons one by one, DE should simply give every weapon and ability an innate 100% proc chance, and replace all "Status Chance" stats on mods, weaponry, and attacks with "Status Potency" (DoT on fire and toxic, %slowdown on Ice, etc). Some elements are going to have to be reworked (Blast, Radiation), but this change will definitely be worth it in the long run.

Damage 2.0 removed the one glorious thing about Damage 1.0's proc system-- reliability. Even if the effects weren't so hot, you could depend on them happening anyway, which is what mattered.

I'd like to see 100% proc make a comeback.

I was going to say that this might not work because fire procs cause targets to panic and flail around, but you mentioned that too.

Another possibility is to add diminishing returns to the panic caused by the fire dot. Example: First instance of fire dot, causes target to panic. Next instance lasts shorter. Third is no panic effect (immunity).

Good idea.

they should actually consider this for elemental weapons or like limited range weapons/continuous, just my opinion.

As long as you're excluding the Synapse, which needs to be nerfed before that would happen for it.  Then again, it needs to be nerfed as it is either way.

no change needed at all, honestly. because the Damage scales based on the Damage that causes the Status Effect, the DoT's wouldn't be very impressive even with lots of Mods.

because Continuous Weapons have a very low Damage per 'shot'. 

I suppose you're right.

well, apparently it's not technically difficult or DE didnt think of it, just look at acrid and castanas. for now it seems DE think ignis is fine as it is. and u know this has been asked since damage 2.0, so i guess this is one of those "i dont give a sh$t" moments by DE

Heh.  Sadly.

"This ability should have 100% proc! Making an ice wave that doesn't freeze enemies makes no sense!"

"This weapon should have 100% proc! A toxic pod launcher whose gas damages enemies without poisoning them makes no sense!"

"This weapon should have 100% proc! A flamethrower that doesn't set things on fire makes no sense!"

Instead of taking the time to individually band-aid each of these weapons one by one, DE should simply give every weapon and ability an innate 100% proc chance, and replace all "Status Chance" stats on mods, weaponry, and attacks with "Status Potency" (DoT on fire and toxic, %slowdown on Ice, etc). Some elements are going to have to be reworked (Blast, Radiation), but this change will definitely be worth it in the long run.

Damage 2.0 removed the one glorious thing about Damage 1.0's proc system-- reliability. Even if the effects weren't so hot, you could depend on them happening anyway, which is what mattered.

I disagree with this.  However, I want to see "status buildup" occur, instead of the random % chance.  So a weapon with 10% status per shot would guarantee a proc on an enemy after 10 shots, every 10 shots.  This would make it reliable.  I'd also recommend proc chances be increased, but the status mods themselves need a huge buff.

provided you're thinking of only those special Elemental Weapons, then... maybe.

no decision either way, it's just an interesting idea.

perhaps we should go a little deeper though. i could totally see Continuous Weapons having a 100% Status Chance. because their Damage per 'shot' is quite low (and the limited range). there are some exceptions for this, some would work. Ogris always making a Blast Effect (Penta for balance would probably be like, 50%? same idea as Castanas, has a 'scripted' Effect at base, and Mods have their own separate chances or something like that), Torid would have 100% on the impact and 50% on the cloud. Lanka should definitely be 100% already.

there's some tricky exceptions to the exceptions though. Acrid? probably... 10% impact, and 30% on the DoT? sounds like the fairest and most appropriate for the Weapon type.

Stug? hell, i have no idea here. 0% on hit i guess, and maybe on explosion depending on 'charge' level? so little globules would have a low chance, combined / charged globules closer and closer to fully charged, would have a higher Status Chance. 

again, it's... interesting. maybe that means it's good? idunno.

provided you're thinking of only those special Elemental Weapons, then... maybe.

no decision either way, it's just an interesting idea.

perhaps we should go a little deeper though. i could totally see Continuous Weapons having a 100% Status Chance. because their Damage per 'shot' is quite low (and the limited range). there are some exceptions for this, some would work. Ogris always making a Blast Effect (Penta for balance would probably be like, 50%? same idea as Castanas, has a 'scripted' Effect at base, and Mods have their own separate chances or something like that), Torid would have 100% on the impact and 50% on the cloud. Lanka should definitely be 100% already.

there's some tricky exceptions to the exceptions though. Acrid? probably... 10% impact, and 30% on the DoT? sounds like the fairest and most appropriate for the Weapon type.

Stug? hell, i have no idea here. 0% on hit i guess, and maybe on explosion depending on 'charge' level? so little globules would have a low chance, combined / charged globules closer and closer to fully charged, would have a higher Status Chance. 

again, it's... interesting. maybe that means it's good? idunno.

I was actually thinking that, like D1.0, this should be applied to each and every weapon. Want to freeze enemies? Slap on a Cold mod and your weapon starts to freeze enemies.

Of course, there were complaints about D1.0's Freeze proc being overpowered, especially on continuous and AoE weapons. That's where the Status Potency comes in; if you want your proc to be truly effective in combat, you're going to have to sacrifice some mod slots and make room for mods like Melee Prowess.

(And as I mentioned, some procs will have to be scrapped and redesigned due to incompatibility with a "status potency" system, like Blast.)

Edited by SortaRandom

they have proven its posible to keep the base fire proc chance sepret from other element proc chance with the heatswords new jump attack always doing 50% fire proc so why not give the ignis 50% fire proc thats un modifyable but still allows you to change up the damage and normal proc chance

As long as you're excluding the Synapse, which needs to be nerfed before that would happen for it.  Then again, it needs to be nerfed as it is either way.

I'm a synapse user and people tend to over exaggerate on how strong it is. yes in early games its strong but once you go in the late games, it's not as strong as you think and no it does not need a nerf. its okay where it is right now. one bullet from vectis can exceed the damage of 20+ "bullets" of synapse in later games. Plus if you don't have ammo mutation and even if you have it either way, you are bound to run out of ammo in later minutes on survival.

Ignis needs 100% fire proc, it's damage lacks too much, giving it such a Utility would make it a better option for Endgame.

Glad you agree.

they have proven its posible to keep the base fire proc chance sepret from other element proc chance with the heatswords new jump attack always doing 50% fire proc so why not give the ignis 50% fire proc thats un modifyable but still allows you to change up the damage and normal proc chance

Indeed!  I'm hoping it has an innate fire chance, even if the base type is something else.

I'm a synapse user and people tend to over exaggerate on how strong it is. yes in early games its strong but once you go in the late games, it's not as strong as you think and no it does not need a nerf. its okay where it is right now. one bullet from vectis can exceed the damage of 20+ "bullets" of synapse in later games. Plus if you don't have ammo mutation and even if you have it either way, you are bound to run out of ammo in later minutes on survival.

No offense, but "I'm a synapse user" just makes it evident that you have bias.  Late game is where it's powerful because it scales with mods so much better (due to crit mods being so powerful on certain weapons).

Crit mods are likely why weapons are overpowered these days.  Weapons like the Latron Prime, Soma and Synapse are allowed to scale infinitely harder whereas other weapons don't scale with crit at all, and lack other benefits to compensate for that.

No offense, but "I'm a synapse user" just makes it evident that you have bias.  Late game is where it's powerful because it scales with mods so much better (due to crit mods being so powerful on certain weapons).

Crit mods are likely why weapons are overpowered these days.  Weapons like the Latron Prime, Soma and Synapse are allowed to scale infinitely harder whereas other weapons don't scale with crit at all, and lack other benefits to compensate for that.

offense taken since I'm clearly saying that to show you that I, myself have a vast experience with this weapon and sorry but I have to contradict your opinion about synapse being strong on late game. It is stronger in earlier games but when the game last, it's power doesnt last very long.

Crit mods and crit type weapons are really just the way they are since they have a high chance of dealing critical damage. this is their advantage and you can't really complain about it since it's their gunplay. it's like in mmorpg's where certain weapons have a really good crit chance and high damage and we all know that those kinds of weapons takes some time to get just like soma and synapse. they take some time to get but they are rewarding when you get them.

offense taken since I'm clearly saying that to show you that I, myself have a vast experience with this weapon and sorry but I have to contradict your opinion about synapse being strong on late game. It is stronger in earlier games but when the game last, it's power doesnt last very long.

Crit mods and crit type weapons are really just the way they are since they have a high chance of dealing critical damage. this is their advantage and you can't really complain about it since it's their gunplay. it's like in mmorpg's where certain weapons have a really good crit chance and high damage and we all know that those kinds of weapons takes some time to get just like soma and synapse. they take some time to get but they are rewarding when you get them.

Again, you're invested in the weapon, which indicates an obvious bias for it.  And bias makes making objective assertions on balance near impossible.  The Synapse is objectively strong late game assuming a proper mod build; numbers don't lie.

The Flux Rifle takes about as much time to get as the Synapse, yet is far weaker.  There is a balance issue.

But that's beside the point.  The point is that the Ignis ought to have a guaranteed fire proc, at least after a certain amount of fire on a target.  That or it should just have 25% status/sec or so, like the Flux Rifle.

The Flux Rifle takes about as much time to get as the Synapse, yet is far weaker.  There is a balance issue.

But that's beside the point.  The point is that the Ignis ought to have a guaranteed fire proc, at least after a certain amount of fire on a target.  That or it should just have 25% status/sec or so, like the Flux Rifle.

some weapons are also harder to get and yet they are weaker. Ignis is easier to get compared to some prime weapons and yet it's still way stronger should that have a balance issue too?

I know that, that's the point. I was on the point until you came up with the idea of synapse having to be nerfed. also, balancing isnt the same as nerfing. end of convo or this would just result into an argument.

some weapons are also harder to get and yet they are weaker. Ignis is easier to get compared to some prime weapons and yet it's still way stronger should that have a balance issue too?

I know that, that's the point. I was on the point until you came up with the idea of synapse having to be nerfed. also, balancing isnt the same as nerfing. end of convo or this would just result into an argument.

What prime weapons are we talkign about here the good ones or the bad ones because the good ones outshine everything in the game currently other then the soma and the brakk the bad ones are not as bad as some of the worst normal weapons they are usable

the ignis is not usable in msot situations without commen infested being involved because of its sheer lack of damage atleast that akbronco prime and ankyos prime are usable eventho they are lack luster

Edited by MoyuTheMedic

Balancing often involves nerfing.  Nerfing is the reduction in power, in one or more ways, to an object in a game to ensure it's in line with other choices.  

And no, the fact the Ignis is easier to get compared to some prime weapons isn't a balance issue.  The fact it's stronger is.  Not that I believe the Ignis is terribly strong, because it really isn't.  It deals low DPS, but has AoE, so is overall fairly balanced.