Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Single Wield Vs. Dual Wield

TheEidolon

Not sure if this is the right area in the forum for this, but it mostly covers weapons and how they function, so I'll just go with it.

Right now, there are a number of secondary and melee weapons that can either be used individually or as a pair. It's a cool feature, but as I'm starting to use the single and dual wield variants of these weapons, I'm seeing that the downsides of dual wielding a weapon are dwarfed by the upsides. Yes, in dual wielding secondaries, you lose accuracy and increase the reload time, but the increases to the weapon's mag size, fire rate, and overall DPS easily makes up for any drawbacks, not to mention some loss in accuracy can be rectified simply by standing a bit closer to your target. I see how a gap was created by making the dual wield variant more expensive to construct, but this still doesn't alter the fact that dual wield is generally superior to single wield.

In the case of melee weapons, the dual wield variant can almost always be made without having to acquire two of the same single wield weapons(the only exception as of now would be the Dual Kama). Plus the fact that dual wield melee weapons generally have similar but overall higher stats than their single wield versions(Take the Dual Ether swords, identical stats with the single Ether Sword, but has a higher attack rate).

A possible means of making single wield weapons as effective as dual wield might be a bit crazy, it might not even fit into the way the game controls are set up, but it is something I'd like to discuss all the same. 

Take two weapons that have dual wield variants, say, Ether Sword and Vasto, and make it so you could dual wield those two weapons at the same time. As ridiculous as it sounds, the idea is that you have your melee weapon drawn, which means you maintain the bonus that Melee 2.0 gives in drawing your melee weapon, but you can still fire your secondary without actually having to switch to it. Like a Snake Eyes from G.I Joe kind of style. Might be interesting, might be insane. Your thoughts?

Edited by TheEidolon

I, and many others, have been harping on this since the beginning.

What they need to do, since melee 2.0 is still a 'distant future' sort of thing, is:

• Make RIGHT and LEFT hand slots
  • Remove all "dual" weapons
  • Replace all weapons only seen in the off-hand as individuals
  • Allow players to mix/match weaponry

This would balance single, dual, and two-handed weaponry.  The single weapons would have the advantage of melee+ranged utility and the dual/two-hand weapons would have the advantage of strength down a particular path.

Edited by Thaumatos

I'm not so sure about right and left hand slots. I do understand where you're coming from with that, but if you were to combine two different secondaries, like say a Lato and Furis, you would have to make it so that the left click fired the left hand weapon, and the right click the right hand weapon in order to make the combination of auto and semi-auto work, thereby removing the zoom capability. Now, maybe you could make it so that if you were to combine auto and semi-auto, you could simply hold down left click and that would fire both weapons at the same time, the semi-auto only firing as fast as it is able. Or maybe you could make it so that you can only combine auto with auto, semi-auto with semi-auto. With the amount of coding that would have to go into any of these ideas, I can imagine it wouldn't happen any time soon, if ever, but they're still interesting ideas all the same.

I really like the idea of combining single melee and single secondary weapons, would really make for a unique playstyle as well as a good reason to stick with the single over dual versions of both. Plus it would just be seriously cool.

Edited by Riot_Inducer

I, and many others, have been harping on this since the beginning.

What they need to do, since melee 2.0 is still a 'distant future' sort of thing, is:

• Make RIGHT and LEFT hand slots
  • Remove all "dual" weapons
  • Replace all weapons only seen in the off-hand as individuals
  • Allow players to mix/match weaponry

This would balance single, dual, and two-handed weaponry.  The single weapons would have the advantage of melee+ranged utility and the dual/two-hand weapons would have the advantage of strength down a particular path.

I basicly said this before about guns with a mention of melee