The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Heavy Caliber Breaking Point

Ddublu

Question

Alright so I finally got Heavy Caliber. However, I'd like to know what the breaking point is on it; meaning when the accuracy will actually start to affect a weapon. I'm normally a long range type of player; using Snipers and Bows 70% of the time. If not that then an AR of some type like Soma. With Soma the accuracy isn't as important as it would on my Bows/Snipers. So yeah is Heavy Caliber worth putting on Bows/Snipers? Or would I be better off doing a mix of crit build with an elemental combo?

More over how badly will Heavy Caliber affect weapons like Soma? with these I intend to use it for like.. lengthy Survivals and Defenses where mobs are generally in mid-short range, so accuracy isn't as big an issue. Thanks in advance for the assistance in both these cases.

13 answers to this question

On assualt rifles with auto fire you normally always get more DPS out of it, no matter how much the spread, because the DPS on a for example 20cm square will grow.

It is not recommended on sniper rifles and bows tho, makes them shotguns pretty much. You wont be able to do precise shots anymore and it will be rather luck-reliant.

Edited by Genoscythe

HC is a 60% damage increase at full rank.

If it causes you to not aim for headshots, its a DPS loss. I dont recommend it for anyone not using an AoE weapon. Ditch it and aim for headshots (+100%, +300% on crits).

However if you're just too lazy/rushed to aim for the head, it works great, especially at close range.

Rank 6 works great for me.

On snipers, it shortens their effective headshot range to about 25m mid-range gameplay, so don't use it for hardcore 25m+ sniping ranges. If you don't headshot often, a R6 Heavy Caliber is still good for body shots at longer ranges.

On assault rifles, the spread is not bad at all and you're still fully capable of playing in medium ranges just fine.

Also Rank 6 sits nicely at 12 points, costing a bit less than a max Serration which is good to fit on many builds.

Edited by Psychosist

It's not the best for sniper/bows or marksman-type rifles, but a mid-level one (5-6) can work really well on automatic rifles, as the accuracy loss isn't significant enough to cripple the weapon.

It really does work best for weapons like the Ignis, however, as that just causes it to hit a wider area with every shot - haven't tried it on the Ogris/Penta, but apparently it works really well on them too (though you need to be more careful with your shots).

Please do not give false statistics. The forums are too full of misleading information as it stands already.

No he's actually being accurate. 

The damage increase between Just serration and serration+Heavy caliber is actually 60%. 

Serrations increases a weapons damage 2.65 times. 

HC+S by 4.3 

4.3/2.65=1.62... 

Or 1.62*2.65=4.3 

Thus Heavy Caliber is really only an increase of about 60%. 

Rank 6 works great for me.

On snipers, it shortens their effective headshot range to about 25m mid-range gameplay, so don't use it for hardcore 25m+ sniping ranges. If you don't headshot often, a R6 Heavy Caliber is still good for body shots at longer ranges.

On assault rifles, the spread is not bad at all and you're still fully capable of playing in medium ranges just fine.

Also Rank 6 sits nicely at 12 points, costing a bit less than a max Serration which is good to fit on many builds.

Rank 6 is +105% damage, which is only a ~40% damage increase when you have full Serration. Bane is 30%, an extra element is 28-32% depending on whats on there, and neither of those has any accuracy loss. HCal is kinda one of those go full or go home kinda mods.

Either max it out and accept the acc loss or use something else, imo.

No he's actually being accurate. 

The damage increase between Just serration and serration+Heavy caliber is actually 60%. 

Serrations increases a weapons damage 2.65 times. 

HC+S by 4.3 

4.3/2.65=1.62... 

Or 1.62*2.65=4.3 

Thus Heavy Caliber is really only an increase of about 60%. 

Rank 6 is +105% damage, which is only a ~40% damage increase when you have full Serration. Bane is 30%, an extra element is 28-32% depending on whats on there, and neither of those has any accuracy loss. HCal is kinda one of those go full or go home kinda mods.

Either max it out and accept the acc loss or use something else, imo.

I think it's worth maxing out on Soma, but I'd rather have a rank 6 heavy cal on a weapon than bane or an element. Bane only affects specific enemies, and half of late game content is against mixed enemies. .3*.3333 means that in void missions bane is only giving you an extra 10% damage, so HC is adding four times bane's damage even when HC is only at rank 6.

I think it's worth maxing out on Soma, but I'd rather have a rank 6 heavy cal on a weapon than bane or an element. Bane only affects specific enemies, and half of late game content is against mixed enemies. .3*.3333 means that in void missions bane is only giving you an extra 10% damage, so HC is adding four times bane's damage even when HC is only at rank 6.

You wouldnt ever use bane in Void, it doesnt work at all, Corrupted != to their base factions. You'd use Cryo Rounds. +90% elemental on top of 100% base and 180% elemental damage is ~ +32% damage, and it has a +50% modifier against shields, which are quite prevalent in Void.