Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shrapnel Arrow Mod (Making Bows More Viable)

Zareek

A simple suggestion. A mod that allows arrows to explode when entering an enemy, then shoots out projectiles or w/e through the enemys body, hitting x amount of enemies around the enemy hit.

I thought this would be a good idea, because as of right now, bows simply arent that effecient when using it in like, a corpus defense etc. This would allow arrows to hit more than 1 enemy (or several in a line of course).

I'm already aware of thunderbolt. But I'm really not a fan of that mod, and I think some varity would be awesome. Besides, depending on the explosion, this could be awesome for stealthing too.

Edit: I would also like to point out that I love playing with bow already. But I mostly only choose bow when going solo in an exterminate mission, or void. The damage is amazing. I do 11-15k crits on a regular basis. But thats single target, or on rare occasion, when enemies are standing in a straight line.

Edited by Zareek

I think bows are good as they are now. I forma'd my Paris(prime) few times and it can take down enemies in 1 hit in t3 survival up to 40 minute mark. I adjust my aim to take down as many enemies in one hit as possible if situation allows but usually just pick them one by one.

Bows are skillbased weapons. If you can use it without misses and place headshots, then with mods for fire rate you can make few kills per second.

I think bows are good as they are now. I forma'd my Paris(prime) few times and it can take down enemies in 1 hit in t3 survival up to 40 minute mark. I adjust my aim to take down as many enemies in one hit as possible if situation allows but usually just pick them one by one.

Bows are skillbased weapons. If you can use it without misses and place headshots, then with mods for fire rate you can make few kills per second.

I don't disagree. Bows are good weapons, and puts out really good damage. My paris which is formad, I think 5 or 7 times, i dont remember which, can 1 hit mostly everything too. However, if 10 mobs are standing in 1 place, scattered slightly, it takes too long to kill them all. I'm comparing with rifles, which can do that in like 2 seconds. A bow would take 10-20 seconds. Im not sure if that is entirely correct but it gives some perspective.

My reason for this idea is that putting out that much damage to a single target would burst out, hitting more enemies for less damage. so hitting maybe 5 of those 10, would essentially be enough to kill all 10.

I hope you get my point

punch threw mods on top of the bow innate punch threw on charged shots can be great at CC if you can get a few of them to line up. bows are definitely skill base and a thinking mans weapon you have plan out your tactics a bit more with a bow then a rifle 

edit* not to say your idea is not cool and would be wonderful to have lol

Edited by gunslingerbb

This is actually a pretty cool idea. Talking about more bow mods in general.

Like, how about some sort of shotgun type mod that splits the arrow into multiple smaller ones? A mod that allows arrows to home in on targets? A ricochet mod? etc.

I think there is quite a bit of potential here.

Edited by S.C.

I really like the concept, but I feel like it would be better if it were nerfed somewhat and then applied to all rifles. There are some that really need attention, and the bows just got their massive buff. Perhaps different effects depending upon what kind of weapon it is, e.g. Bullets would be puncture damage, lasers would be radiation or heat damage, etc.? Of course, bows could use it too, but this way it wouldn't be exclusive to them. Or maybe just apply it to weapons that can take sniper or bow mods and making a sort of distance mod? I feel like this would be a good way to add some variety to more than just bows, because weapons like the Vulkar and Lanka have been crying in the corner for some time now.

This is a good idea, although, rather than creating a whole new mod for it, 
DE should just upgrade the thunderbolt mod with this effect..

on another note : Bow's are viable enough right now, it's still 1 of the most damaging 1-bullet/arrow damage weapon in-game at the moment..

I really like the concept, but I feel like it would be better if it were nerfed somewhat and then applied to all rifles. There are some that really need attention, and the bows just got their massive buff. Perhaps different effects depending upon what kind of weapon it is, e.g. Bullets would be puncture damage, lasers would be radiation or heat damage, etc.? Of course, bows could use it too, but this way it wouldn't be exclusive to them. Or maybe just apply it to weapons that can take sniper or bow mods and making a sort of distance mod? I feel like this would be a good way to add some variety to more than just bows, because weapons like the Vulkar and Lanka have been crying in the corner for some time now.

Well personally I think the bow buff was stupid. Well at least to me personally. Damage has never been an issue. To me it went from a good single target weapon, to a VERY good single target weapon. It really made no difference to me.

What really "bothers" me, is that a rifle can quickly spray an area and kill 10-20 enemies in a few seconds, while a bow user has to draw each arrow, killing 1 at the time, which takes too long for it to be viable. At least for me, I mostly only use bow in solo games, since there is absolutely no reason to use it in online games. I dont need 10-20k crits on regular grineer that gets 1 hit by a lvl 5 pistol by default. That's why I would rather see more ways for bows to deal damage to several enemies at once. Thunderbolt is just too loud and dangerous to use. And penetrating arrows are good but you cant rely on it.