The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Friend Sent Me Malware, Here Are The Results

Arceus255

So my friend sent me Malware. I downloaded a file from him because I trusted him. A few hours later...

I was watching a video. All of the sudden, a tab opens up saying there is no website with the domain '[Cult name, not sure if I would get warning for it].com' And I rewound the video to see if it was the video. It seemed like it was the second time, it linked me to a shock website with genitalia. The third time, [You know what goes here]hub. Fourth, an image opened in the Windows 8 Pictures app, R34 of MLP and Pokemon. I was suspicious and I began running antimalware, full scan. I messaged my friends because I had some time to kill and all of the sudden the chatbox begins filling with spam. What the actual ruk. I had some time to kill so I began trying to message them without spam. But that didn't exactly work out the best. It closed all my google chrome tabs and began opening the same tabs it had before in Internet explorer. A chat window opened up [Obviously an AI] saying 'Hello' I responded to it, and it responded back, 'I've been watching you.' 'You are special.' and some random things like that. At the end of the chat, 'I just want you to know...' And then my IE opened up with spammed windows of 'I love you'. So I was pretty scared at that point [Not at that 'I love you' but at the fact that I was being hacked or something I thought] and it began messing with my display driver. Screen froze and flashed black a few times. When it could, it hovered over the X button on the Anti Malware I had open, and the Abort Scan button. It also tried to type [Homosexual slur] into my chat. Not sure if it's over yet. It could do some things again, in which case I will update this post when it does. I'm about half way through my scan so yeah, should be fine. But yeah. Don't be too cautious around friends who used to be hackers. Lesson learned. Sadly, I learned the hard way. My computer's fine but I was just a bit 'UMG WUT IZ HAPPENIN' at the time.

Hang on a second, you said it hovered over the X and abort, was it controlling your mouse?

It probably was as long as you have an active internet connection malware can do just about anything with you're computer which is why if you get infected the first step is to cut the internet connection then deal with the malware.

A hacker might control your mouse but a virus can't, not enough to do anything at any rate. Besides, this doesn't exactly sound like a virus, it sounds more like his friend, who he says is a hacker, was screwing around with him.

Not any reason not to take chances, but enough to make him call and yell at the friend (which he should do anyway b/c if it was someone else his friend may or may not know about it).