The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dark Souls 2

Nexus730

I want to pick up this game for my PS3, but there is something I don't know about. In dark souls 2 each time you die you hp decreases, and the only way to restore it, is by getting a human effigy. A human effigy is very rare and it's the only thing that can restore you. Can someone help me? Is this game good for people who haven't played the OG dark souls and how hard is it?

I don't play Dark Souls that much at all but I read a lot about the lore since it was utterly captivating. I think the HP decrease is more realistic in the sense of Hollowing. The degenerative process in Dark Souls from dying and being resurrected at bonfires. The more you lose yourself, you gradually lose your sanity and intelligence, therefore the human effigy is needed :p [size=1](Is that right, anyone? O.o)[/size].

I would say it is best to start at the first game to get a better understanding on the lore and what is Dark Souls. Heh, hard? The game definitely punishes those who make mistakes. Skyrim holds your hand through while Dark Souls rips it off and beats you with it. 

I want to pick up this game for my PS3, but there is something I don't know about. In dark souls 2 each time you die you hp decreases, and the only way to restore it, is by getting a human effigy. A human effigy is very rare and it's the only thing that can restore you. Can someone help me? Is this game good for people who haven't played the OG dark souls and how hard is it?

Basically the Series has been awesome since Demon Souls, Dark Souls was a step up, and now they wanted to add a challenge to it, by giving you that Fight For Survival, or Be careful with what you do.

All in all.  The thing about the series is that its a play it your way, there's no right or wrong, or builds, you just gotta take your time, improve your character, and things get easier over time, but in no way, and I mean in no way, rush things, or just try to run pass things, or you'll end up paying with more then your life, then you might find yourself not wanting the game no more.

Just remember, its only as hard as you make it, and everything has a weakness, watch & learn, and you'll overcome the odds eventually!!

Yet if it gets too hard, at least they improved the MP, so you should have no problem finding a buddy to help you out, just watch out for them Red Souls!!

Its a good game. However, you will die while playing. Its a hard game and you have to really pay attention to enemies attack patterns, that goes even more so for bosses, and learning the timing for parrying enemies attacks can save your life.

I don't think it matters if you play the Original Dark souls. Both are good games and both are fun (if you can deal with dying alot and raging a bit).

I am pretty sure that some merchants sell human effigy's. The longer you play the game the more you get used to it and you wont die as often as you might at first (but you will still die).

Well, it is "hard," but hard is a term that can mean different things to different people.

To the common player who's used to fast paced games or games that are hack-and-slash (i.e. DMC or similar games), Dark Souls (and 2, obviously) are brutal and unforgiving.

Every enemy can kill you. The bigger or more fancy the enemy is, the more easily they can kill you. You, the player, are fragile and like any human going up against monsters your life expectancy is slim.

That being said... the best way to survive the game (out of boss fights) is to master the following 3 tricks:

• CAUTION is required. Tread carefully and do not worry about taking it slow (unless you're being chased by a gigantic boulder or get invaded). In this game, slow and steady wins the race.

• OBSERVE your surroundings. If something looks out of place, awkward or fishy, it's likely deadly.

• LURE enemies away from main groups. Fighting a single enemy at a time is much easier than fighting a gang of enemies, which will very easily circle you and prevent you from shielding and dodging properly. This is best achieved by moving slowly into their aggro range, or by aggroing them with a bow, throwable items or spells.

This 3-fold recipe for handling non-boss and non-invasion situations will help you survive.

For invasions (when you get invaded), you want to do these 3 things:
  • SUMMON some allies as fast as you can, if you see nearby soul signs. Friendly phantoms are your first line of defense and offense. Engaging the enemy yourself is much riskier.

• VANTAGE POINTS will help you; find an easily defendable position that allows you to see the enemy when they're approaching. Standing behind corners allows you to remain out of sight to them, while your third person camera can spot them. Look for the red glow.

• PREPARE for the fight quickly. Make sure you heal yourself (and your friendly phantoms) as much as possible. If you're confident in your ability to switch gear, switch to your gear that will allow you to go toe to toe with another player. Always assume that the player invading you is faster, stronger and hardier than you.

For bosses, all you really have to do is part 1 and 3 of the invasion recipe. Summon allies and use them as your first line of offense and defense. You'll also likely have to keep yourself and your allies healed mid battle.