Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infestation Not Scary

Finn_and_Jake01

The infestation SHOULD be a freaky alien race that jumps at you that makes you jump and mash the melee button. Instead, all the lights are completely functional and you can see them a mile away. It isn't really as scary as it should be. More noticeable light flickering, infestation or even grineer or corpus screams even though there aren't any in the room should be added. Anything else that should be added?

The infestation SHOULD be a freaky alien race that jumps at you that makes you jump and mash the melee button. Instead, all the lights are completely functional and you can see them a mile away. It isn't really as scary as it should be. More noticeable light flickering, infestation or even grineer or corpus screams even though there aren't any in the room should be added. Anything else that should be added?

So you want Warframe to subscribe to the Dead Space brand of "scary" then? Meh, I don't think that would work. Partially because I didn't think Dead Space (any of them) was scary at all, partly because it would directly conflict with the style of Warframe. I mean, look at what we play as... Fearless warriors with advanced technology, able to obliterate any foe. Why would we be scared of a little darkness? Why would we scream and panic at something jumping out at us when we can easily just blow them away in any number of ways?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for changing the atmosphere of Infested levels, as they are hardly different than any other tileset, but I think trying to make them scary would be a fruitless attempt... Unless you are easily scared, that is.

I thought once in a infested boss that is in a pitch black room where only you can see its glowing "eyes" and the energy... dots of your Warframe. After you defeat it, the lights turn on and then you see... that it's gone, and just left the mod/resource. It's not scary, but it unconfortable to know that you didn't really killed whatever was in the dark.

The Infested kinda creeped me out back when I first started playing. I was like "great, zombie dogs, this should be fun". To my credit I actually made it halfway through the mission stealthily before getting noticed by a Charger and having 50 come out of nowhere and mauled my poor modless Loki into a paste. The rest of the mission was a mix of "why the hell are these things so fast?!" and "why the hell don't these thing die?!"

Ancients were also kind of intimidating, just seeing this massive glob of a being giving off pulses of energy; ah, what times those were, when we knew so little about the game and our weapons were so bad that a full team of players couldn't kill three Healers just because they healed one another faster than we could put out damage.

I guess the lesson is that the infested themselves will never really be intimidating let alone scary so long as we're walking nukes. However, they could at least bring back the red lights, ambiance is important and those really set the mood back in the day.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

I posted about this multiple times .... I agree with you .....

I hope they will do this when they give them a homeworld again. 

Infested need:

A lot less lighting;

Some fully infested units, not just the half steps that we have right now. (I hope some of them can wall crawl);

Traps like the wall mounted things in Half Life 1 that would drag you to their teeth and toxic bursters;

But, by far, the most important ..... they should be camouflaged on their tileset.

Edited by nekrojiji

The most you can do is make them creepy and hard to see, it's slightly difficult to make a player scared when you hit 4 and time stops/enemies explode/they burn/they get sucked into a blackhole/they disintergrate/they get swept away in tornado's/you have invincibility/you become invisible/EVERYTHING DIES