The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Not Just Make Helmet Stats A Different Equippable?

Volt_Cruelerz

Not really some frames will have empty mod slot without anything to insert there, implementing this is extra work + extra work to make bonus stats for each extra helmet.

It is best idea to just leave helmet aesthetics like they are now but add "stats" to appearance showing only to those who had those helmets and letting you put specific helmet parts/core/whatever which will increase stats.

or 

You can remove stats all together and dont give a f***.

Empty mod slot? You say it like my suggestion would be limited to the frame it was taken from. I was talking about turning *ALL* helmet effects into mods. Then the player can just slot one such helmet mod in whatever helmet and these new 'helmet mods' can be seeded into the pool of drops. View my suggestion as an 'Aura' card, but for a helmet.

As to the amount of work, I'd say it is doing people a disservice not to explore alternatives and taking the easy way out instead. And so far DE has done nothing but churn out events, new mods, new weapons, new frames, new mobs, new balance patches etc. But all of a sudden this would take too much time?

Does...not...compute...

• 1 month later...

Equal, percent-based stat-altering choices for all the frames. Sacrificing a % of one stat to get other, more important stat boosted (also on a % basis, no more flat increase, please) gives more flexibility, more freedom of choice. Right now players are locked in the cage of "best builds" and i don't see the situation getting better. "Focus system" might fix this. Yeah... maybe.

I think that players should have more control over their frames. More mod slots or "software", "systems", "implants". More RPG-like choices that affect playstyle (melee-focused, gun-focused, ability-focused gameplay).

Helmets that add a % to something, say shield, whilst reducing other stats, like runspeed, gave diversity and tactical flexibility. And it was a good thing, when both helmets were situationally-useful. They were sought after because of this. For example, a Rhino would use Vanguard for a mission with a lot of running, just to keep up with the "less fat kids", but would equip the Thrakk to be more tanky on a defense, where he's stationary.

Edited by Myocarde

Nerfing helmet stats makes no sense because a helmet without stats is worse than a helmet with the worst stats.  So, if you are willing to use a statless helmet for cosmetics, then you are no worse off, even getting a better deal, using the worst stat'ed helmet for cosmetics.

And, if there is a case where some helmet has trully terrible stats. that's no reason to nerf all of them.

I'm surprised no one has noticed how bogus the argument for helmet nerf is.  There are more important things to work on than helmets, like missions, or even  more games in the Warframe universe, like an rpg which is where lore really matters.  Helmet nerf is just going to aggravate customers.

Edited by ThePresident777

I actually started a thread proposing the same thing a while ago, allow me to quote myself

While it's nice to see that helmets are finally having their stats removed and will become purely cosmetic items, I'm slightly concerned with the method in which DE is going about doing it. By removing helmets with stats, but still allowing us veterans who have them to keep them but still have a choice as to whether or not we can remove them, I see three glaring issues that are obviously going to come about:

1) Us older players will always have helmets like the Vanguard that'll give us an advantage over newer players who don't have it, so those players will always be asking for the re-release of these exclusive helmets.

2) It doesn't solve the issue players had with stat helmets where a helmet they did like aesthetically has stats they don't want or vice versa

3) This is more of a personal issue, but I kind of liked the notion of having small trinkets that could boost one aspect in exchange for weakening another, but sadly we won't have that anymore.

To me it seems like the better solution would be to remove the stats from ALL the helmets, and then create new items to replace the stat alterations. These items would be non-cosmetic and credit-purchasable, so new players can still enjoy the benefits and drawbacks of the stat helmets without the issue of P2W of exclusivity. As for us vets who already have the helmets, simply reimburse us with these booster items, that way not only do we still get to keep the stats and the helmets, but we're also free to wear whichever helmet we want and have the stat alterations we desire rather than whatever is bound to that particular helmet.

One more benefit to creating separate stat-booster items is that you can continue to make new ones for frames like Nekros or Valkyr who never got any, to allow players to experiment with new playstyles and have something to invest their large quantities of credits in, while still selling the purely cosmetic helmets for platinum.

I'll admit I'm not terribly bothered by the future of the stat helmets but I know the above issues are going to remain unaddressed if DE goes through with their current solution and there are others who will be more bothered by this than I am, so why not go with a solution that will address all these issue while still sticking to the original goal of separating stats from cosmetic items. Perhaps I'm biased or am missing something, but my proposal would be fair for just about everyone: new players will get to keep their helmets and cosmetics, and have more customization than ever, and new players will still be able to reap the benefits of stat-boosting items and won't feel left out.

The TL;DR is pretty much that by incorporating stat boosters as a credit-purchasable (or Alert reward) non-cosmetic items and removing stats from ALL helmets, DE effectively makes helmets purely cosmetic, newer players won't complain about exclusivity of stat helmets since they can still get the bonuses, and DE can continue to make new stat boosters, an idea which I personally kind of liked.

This idea has been repeated in the forums numerous times since DE announced their intent to remove stats from helmets, and as you can see they dismissed the idea. Might have saved your self some effort had you carried out a search first.

because some people like the stats and some people paid actual money to get the helmets because of their stats.

Like me, I purchased several helmets with platinum when they were first released, before they added the bp as rewards for alerts.

Edited by HexCaliber

Because that would make sense and we cant have that, are you crazy?

Now the helmets with bad stats and good looks are less of a pain yes, but we can still keep the helmets that are an upgrade like Vanguard.

AND the people that wont be there later in the game will not have a chance to get some stats that would help on a build giving them a punch.

And random person, please dont start the "But its a PVE game hur dur der" balance always plays a role PVP and PVE.

Things didnt get better if you ask me, they just got a new hat.

Still like the game of course, but its gonna be one of those things with "Oh we will work on this later" and forget it after a week.

I would much rather grind (thats the only way we would get something like this) for some Helmet Mods and give every frame the option for every effect.

Now I remember why I liked you, Volt. We agree on a lot of things lol

I posted something like this as a reply in a thread under General, too. Just split the stats from the helmets.

The only change I made was I gave DE the benefit of the doubt that the arcane helmets were going to exist until they make the system for the stat twinking separate, at which point all Arcane helmets will get their stats nuked.

It's been brought up before as a suggestion, but honestly, what's wrong with the idea of letting every helmet come with a built-in "core" that determines its stats.  You can then swap cores to your heart's content, provided that they came from the same frame.  Existing helmets would just be broken apart into their cosmetic and stat components, letting people choose what to wear because they like it and what to use because it works with their build.

Why do we need to yank all future stats?  Are some of them imbalanced (Vanguard)?  Yes.  But does mean we need to remove all of them?  No...  I guess I'm just at a loss for why this simple solution is being passed over for a more radical one that will make future players complain about how it isn't fair that they can't have a "proper" Vanguard Prime.

People have suggested some variation on this idea ever since we learned stat helms were going away, DE still hasn't taken it onboard despite the overwhelmingly positive response from the community.

People have suggested some variation on this idea ever since we learned stat helms were going away, DE still hasn't taken it onboard despite the overwhelmingly positive response from the community.

They're saying it's "split."  I have seen no such split.