Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Platinum Is Not Worth It.

AraujoCAPSLOCK

I would have no problems putting some cash down for a game like warframe. I understand its F2P and that this is how the developers make money... but hte current model will simplu keep me away from it.

Its not just about buying powerful stuff cause the balance is somewhat decent in the game. You have to craft the best stuff and you can have very powerfull characters without spending a dime...

Only the more reason to cheapen a bit the cost of Platnium... cause quite frankly, the price right now is a bit nuts.

well as I see it or as many others see it~

buying stuff with plat is for convenience and they aren't forcing you to buy~

most of the things in market are craftable if you play thru it enough~

and if you follow the alerts that hold hidden Blueprints~

the only things that you can't build are things like weapon skins and palletes~

which I don't mind really cause I don't really need them haha~

other than weapon slots and warframe slots~

but thats like really cheap for like 20 plat and 12 plat~

Edited by Murasume

So... most of the content to which people come to play with... "only" that then? Oh ok...

You can always get them with in-game currency. All the warframes, as well as all the weapons are obtainable with Credits.

FTP games need a business model. The cash shop is a proven way to generate revenue. They must find a balance though, as not to alienate new players who do not spend right out of the gate, but may spend later. they must also create a game that is playable by those who swear they will never spend a dime, because they may change thier minds.

What they have come to find out is that, as most of us already know, time is money. You can spend time to get the best gear, or you can shortcut for cash. If they make the platinum too cheap, people who do not want to buy it, will feel alienated by the time they must spend to be on par. The higher the price for the platinum, the more non paying customers feel thier time is well spent, and as stated above, they may decide to spend down the road.

A successful cash shop is a lot harder to run than a lot of people think. It's a delicate balancing act that can bite you in the arse if you get too greedy, or forget about a segment of your playerbase.

Actually, Platinum pricing is all over the place.

I mean, Frame and weapon slots are pretty much a no-brainer, considering slot costs in other games. "Potatoes" are also a great deal, given what they do and how you get them otherwise.

Then there's the Weapon 10$ a pop, and frames for 20...

Yeah, no way I'm getting that...

Color packs? I guess 5$ is fine, even if I won't use all of the colors.

Edited by Naqel

I got a colour pack on impulse and am still wondering if it was a good decision. Ideally, that shouldn't be the case - I should just be really happy with my purchase.

Slots and Reactors/Catalysts are no-brainers though.

You'd be stupid to spend plats on anything aside from cosmetics and slots/supercharges. Very stupid. Or very rich..

And even then the only cosmetic to spend money on is the color pallets as you have a chance of getting the helmet bps from ? alerts. Its how I got my Ash Scorpion Helmet.

Thing is, you've got to balance out and consider how much the time/money tradeoff should be, and it's in a bad absolutely terrible spot right now.

Let's look at Warframes as an example. They cost about $20 if I recall, roughly 200-300 (300+ if a few cases) worth of Platinum.

$20 for 1 frame. That's a pretty hefty price, unless the time sink involved in getting a frame is multiple dozens of hours, which, in my experience getting the neccesarry pieces for 4 different frames, is not the case.

In my mind and general impression I've gathered from hanging out on the forums of a lot of F2P games, that large of a price tag is off putting for your average consumer. And it's entirely unacceptable to plenty of F2P gamers out there, who would rather grind for hours and hours rather than spend a single penny.

Prices need to be attractive and reasonable, something that makes people want to impulsively buy an item. For the most part, aside from speeding up build times, weapon/frame slots and a couple other things, prices right now are pretty ugly for anyone with anything resembling a modest disposable income. It's not like Warframe is the only game available to us (nor is it so very unique I'd argue), and it's not like people don't have interests outside of Warframe that they like to spend money on. It's an easy choice, for me at least, to pass on spending money on Warframe.