Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[New Neutral Enemy] The Wanderer

The_Sharp_Demonologist

Dont you love when a game uses an enemy that is not really an enemy but rather a distraction, and even if you defeat it you kinda feel guilty, exept if your a heartless A****** and dont care. So i desided to give Warframe its own vertion of this rare enemy type.

A bit of story

NOTE: Here i will give some backstory about other games that have implemented this kind of unit so if you just want to hear about the Wanderer indea skip this part.

When you think about it there arent alot of this "passive enemy" types, for a good reason: its hard to make them work. Take for example the Colossus from, duh, Shadow of the Colossus. Normaly when you defeat such a gigantic creature in a game (like say Monster Hunter) you would feel like a badass, like if you could beat anything! but here is rather depressing actually, this mighty creatures didnt do anything and didnt even attacked you unless you attacked them first. Sure you are killing them to "revive your girlfriend" but is it really worth it? What did these creatures do to deserve such a fate?

The only other example i can think of is the Big Daddies in the original Bioshock (havent played the others so i dont know how the Big Daddies where in 2 nor the Handymen in Infinite) where this guys didnt do anything unless you enraged them by attacking or standing too close to the little Sister, hell if you stand in front of them they will gently push you aside and keep walking. You could argue that they are defending the little sisters who shall be saved from being salves of the adam and stuff but can you blame them? both the Little Sisters where "programed" to drink and proccess adam as we as the Big Daddies where programed to think this children are their daughters and will do anything in their power to protect them, even at the cost of their own lives. Even when defeated their loot is nothing to writte home about so is not really encouraged to fight them and even if your fighting them to save the Sisters you wish there was another way, at least i wanted to be friend whit them.

Now on to the Wanderer itself

Whit that little introduction i present to you the Warframe version: The Wanderer. Remember this is a Work in progress so i will add more info as i work on it, i will also take into consideration your feedback, if you care enough to give feedback about it anyways.

Overview:

The Wanderer is a Neutral unit who has the chance to spawn in any mission whit its base lv depending on the Tenno in said mission, but they will always be at least 10 lv higher than any enemy. Packing pretty high regenerative health and a hardened hide that reduce damage from most damage types on top of high damage close quarted combat and relatively high speed for its size the Wanderer is something you dont want to mess whit unless heavily prepared.

There are not any especial deals for him to spawn and dont confuse him for an Assassin, hes more as a Boss of a side mission, you can do it if you want but dont come back crying cause he is a hard boss.

Type of Armor: Mutated Flesh: Unique to the Wanderer it has high resistance to most damage types whit few exeptions. It also makes it Inmune to any CC and Status procs.

Designer Note: Some status procs will occur but will not have effect on him, for example a Volt casting Shock on him will still proc chain electricity but will not paralize him.

Weak:

- Impact: +75%

- Toxin: +15%

Resistant:

- Puncture: -75%

- Slash: -100%

- Heat: -100%

- Cold: -75%

- Electricity: -75%

- Blast: -75%

- Corrosive: -100%

- Gas: -80%

- Magnetic: -100%

- Radiation: -15%

- Viral: -50%

Quotes:

Enraged:

- "Stop tormenting me!"

- "Why you do this to me!"

- "I did nothing to you!"

- "Leave me alone!"

Passive:

- "I didn't do nothing...and they did this to me!"

- "Go away. Please, go away." (if player gets too close)

- "My heart...it hurts..."

- "I cant.... i cant do it..."

- "Why they.. did this to me..."

- "Where... am i?"

Design: While working on what kind of reward i think it would be cool to be a large infested flail! but how can i make it so it looks like it was made from him? Why not making his hand a flail?

His right hand will be big and scarred, his hand severed only whit some lines of tissue holding it together.

Behavior:

The Wanderer will slowly wander, DUUUUH, around a lv, speaking to himself while walking. Any enemy who walks near him he will gently push them aside. He will go beserk if "damaged" (he takes no damage while in passive mode) chasing players to no end until all Tenno are dead or he dies. Note that going invisible doesnt help, he will still see you.

He also can leap some a considerable distance, dealing damage on arival.

How the Battle Works:

If the Wanderer is disturbed he will hunt down that Tenno until it dies, then proceed to take on the rest of the squad. (i will wait till i finish his design to finish the battle).

Abilities:

- Vicious Grapple: If his enemy is out of reach (in a box on top of him) He will quickly jump and grab you, pining you down on the floor dealing considerable damage.

Trivia:

- The Wanderer is the first Shieldless unit weak to Impact, making weapons such as the Vulkar oddly effective.

- Grineer and Corpus will avoid all contact whit him, prefering to walk away from him if hes spotted. Infested on the other hand will literally leave the current section of the lv if they see it.

- Sentinels wont take accions against him if hes in "passive mode".

- Strangely enough if you get close to the wanderer whit a DJin sentinel it will start floating around the Wanderer.

Soon to come

Still working on various things and will add them here:

- Abilities.

- How the battle works.

- More quotes

- Lore

- Design (im working on the design myself, if anyone wanna draw him i would be glad to see it)

Updates:

31/03/2014:

- Added new trivia.

- Starting to work on abilities.

04/04/2014:

- I desided to remove the female variant, mostly cause i got a better idea for her.

- Writting notes about how the wanderer design is going. Would love sme feedback.

Edited by The_Sharp_Demonologist

Personality is always nice. I think this could fit nicely if implemented properly.

Thats what im working on, i want a balance between punishing players for disturbing him/her while, maybe, rewarding them if they are prepared for the battle.

Also to give that depressing feeling the Colossus give when killed. Emotional Wiplash i think is called, you know you killed him but.. was it worth the price?

Edited by The_Sharp_Demonologist

Thats what im working on, i want a balance between punishing players for disturbing him/her while, maybe, rewarding them if they are prepared for the battle.

Also to give that depressing feeling the Colossus give when killed. Emotional Wiplash i think is called, you know you killed him but.. was it worth the price?

Any idea about what the rewards could be?

Any idea about what the rewards could be?

Self respect? HAHA!

no but seriously im not really sure. I would like to give him a reward so cool that you must fight him, but also making him such a powerful foe (while not been op) that trying to fight him is not the smartest idea. Probably a weapon of some kind, maybe an infested Melee weapon based on his design.

Self respect? HAHA!

no but seriously im not really sure. I would like to give him a reward so cool that you must fight him, but also making him such a powerful foe (while not been op) that trying to fight him is not the smartest idea. Probably a weapon of some kind, maybe an infested Melee weapon based on his design.

As long as it isn't a must-have like the Despair that sounds pretty good.

Why is despair a must? unless your a weapon collector and youo just need to GET EM ALL  i dont see why should i get it over, say, Tysis or Cestra

So it's slipped down on the list then? I must be living on outdated info then.

Many say its an overrated weapon and... i have to agree, its fame is fading away whit the appeareance of more creative (and efficient) weapons. It doesnt do anything exeptional.

The Wandere's weapon is gonna be @(*()$ cool though :3

We do need more infested melee weapons.

the melee weapon could be an infested orthos like the one in the labs you can see but it dosent exits I love the wandere but why does he say why did they did this to me who did what to him is he or was human?

/

Thats the mistery, Is he a Tenno? is he Corpus? Grineer? who did this to him? its all a mistery. Only time and observation will tell.

WAT.

You'd have to construct it first.  And it would be a Rare drop.  But yes.  IT is a little strong.  Note I didn't add any crit/status chances.  That's because the weapon can't crit, and I'm not sure on what status chance I'd like it to have.

Edited by AngryMoron