The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mechanical Life

DeathMavrik

In my studies of the brain with my professor and classmates I have come to the conclusion that there will be a time when we need to redefine the ability for things to be alive and even feel.

For one instance we look at our brain in a programming sense. How does our brain behave? It is essentially a massive storage device that has learned to trigger different bodily functions in response to what is happening around them. When they learn something new they try to associate these behaviors with key actions or symbols

For instance, smiling and laughing

Sadness and crying

Anger and aggression

Our brain learns something new and tries to correlate it with the key features that helped the brain learn the action in the first place.

So it makes me wonder, why does it seem improbable that a robot can learn to have these behaviors? If it learns the same way we do, essentially letting it grow up with limited knowledge and letting it experience life, what is to say that they cannot simply acquire these emotions?

These emotions are simply things that our brain associates with the proper event and coordinates our body to act in that such way.

The notion that robots are cold and calculated are simply because they are just programs and aren't given the opportunity to learn. If we give a robot similar action relation cognitive abilities, they can most certainly express emotions.

Even the darker ones like pain eventually

What do you think