Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
Jade Shadows: Known Issues ×

What Is Going On With Clint Today

KyaNinjaFang

The way a DDoS works, (to my knowledge) is you get a large group of computers infected with some sort of spyware, likely a trojan (I may be a touch off since there's a billion "malware" variety types out there). Step two is simply "spreading the love". this is where your infected computer infects other computers or devices, commonly over an unsecured network or a home network. Step three is getting the computers altogether and unified, this is called a botnet.

This botnet (which is a good number of infected devices) now receives a target command. Target command contains a targeted IP or range of IP addresses. Then each of these devices will send many "login" requests. Which causes the server to respond with "access denied". Once this is received, every member of the botnet will simultaneously send multiple requests to the server, causing the server to check the information in a database, and then spit back access denied. 

Doesn't sound too bad right? Wrong, the server takes time to look through the database and then spit back an access message (granted or not). But since you have many computers (hundreds or thousands) you get thousands of these requests in a small amount of time, let's say 0.1 milliseconds, and the server to query a database would take about 0.05 milliseconds per one query. Multiply this by a thousand requests in a span of 0.1 milliseconds, and the server cannot respond fast enough.

It's a cyber attack. Had to quote my post form before explaining this on another thread because it's a lot of words.

Its difficult to shut down servers for one or two days and fix them ??????Or people will lose and waste time playing in an empty without getting experience and rewards for missions passed.

Shutting down servers is a massive profit loss to DE and will only happen in extremely dire situations such as actual server meltdown or extreme corruption across all servers. Like either Meghan or Rebecca have stated, we will be compensated for the down time. In the meantime let DE try to sort this out. A DDoS is never to be taken lightly, it is very crippling especially to a game as internet intensive and server intensive as this one. 

Side note: I'd rather see EA get DDoSed because... well... it's EA...

Shutting down servers is a massive profit loss to DE and will only happen in extremely dire situations such as actual server meltdown or extreme corruption across all servers. Like either Meghan or Rebecca have stated, we will be compensated for the down time. In the meantime let DE try to sort this out. A DDoS is never to be taken lightly, it is very crippling especially to a game as internet intensive and server intensive as this one. 

I second that part about EA

Compensated????How they can compensate lost 10 exp lvls on weapon, tons of cores, credits, mods????I dont wanna spend another 1.5 hours to farm this 10 exp lvls om my weapon.Its difficult.Especially when you always has a BIG chance of losing it all because of disconnect.

Edited by Khorndemon

Its difficult to shut down servers for one or two days and fix them ??????Or people will lose and waste time playing in an empty without getting experience and rewards for missions passed.

It'd be better if they left them up as they could get more feedback on server activity from players. But if it bothers you that much, they don't need to shut it down. Just take a break from the game until they fix it :P

Compensated????How they can compensate lost 10 exp lvls on weapon, tons of cores, credits, mods????I dont wanna spend another 1.5 hours to farm this 10 exp lvls om my weapon.Its difficult.Especially when you always has a BIG chance of losing it all because of disconnect.

It's frustrating, yes. But are they to blame when you chose to take the risk? If you didn't know that there was an issue and you logged in without any sort of trouble in the past three days consider yourself extremely lucky. Because this has been going on for the past three days, there have been multiple forum posts from Rebecca AND Megan, their social media pages have also reported that there was instability in the network activity.

I get it, it's a pain and it's a big loss, but you took that risk when you logged in and ignored all the warnings DE has posted all over the place. 

Plot Twist: EA are the corpus scum DDoSing Warframe because DE do a better job than them

http://inception.davepedu.com/

I knew it... inb4dlcrequired

You should be grateful that they're compensating at all. It's not exactly their fault they're being targeted for a DDoS attack.