Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dynamic Cover System Based On Melee/aura Mods

ioeshepard

Think a lot about cover in this game.

While one says it takes the speed out (not true it´s a design thing) others would love to camp all day although bad.

Then Melee 2.0 comes with Hamster 13 (forgive me will ya) and it drops a stone. Cover as a mod !

With this everyone can decide yes or no and it is not a "sticky" cover because this is lame design end-of-story.

Dynamic - this way it can be chained in the end of an attack --- Free-Flow

example: heavy grineer ( 5 of them shots at you from a little below ) you finish the attack double tap the cover key and go prone as long as you keep holding it. This takes the collision box out of harms way and offers new combat options.

Hit melee while releasing the cover button (from prone state) for a round house attack . (Although discussed as melee recovery)

Double tap cover button while sprinting to slide on your chest past low cover to either side press space to jump against a wall run it up backflip and start attack from the next floor.

I don´t know what you call this DE - i call it - AWESOME GAMEPLAY - please repeat.

Regards

Edit: From a post below:

Another example here :

Sprint along a corridor - a grineer at the end is patrolling behind some boxes - double tap cover to start sliding into it on your chest - hold it until you hit the cover - hit melee for insta-kill over cover - move on and stay undetected.

This action depends on the mod you use to separate a more acrobatic cover ( free-flow-form ) use or a more tactical ( free-flow variation ) that supports sniper game play as both support stealth game play of course.

Without mod you don´t use cover at all only soft cover as is.

This system provides more effective world object use - resulting in a lot more action/acrobatic combat as is now and it´s free-flow resulting in an enormous amount of complexity without sacrificing anything and it is complete optional.

In this examples the left mouse button is used - this can support emotes - such as pointing something out while holding down the left mouse button and hit any desired key to do so - or to sit on a bench ... so this cover system and the emote system can even go hand in hand.

Free-flow.

Edited by ioeshepard

I'll give you an upvote for the idea of sliding on your chest past cover.

Everyone loves dives.

Thanks. It should be a mod system, the sky is the limit here. For everyone - everything.

Besides, cover does not mean to stand still ... this is only lame game design.

Dynamic means - chaining cover into ACTION.

As for dives - so do i !

Edited by ioeshepard

Is it correct to assume you come from the ME series from your alias?

Personally I dislike cover systems, I find they are unnatural and break the flow of play. I'm used to take cover myself and do that stuff "manually".

I also played ME and found the cover thing rather annoying.

But the moves you talk about are interesting. More tenno agility is always welcome, specially if they're ninja.like moves.

Personally I'm in support of a cover system.  We have our enemies effectively taking cover, however we cannot do anything of the like.  Seems kinda.. stupid, to be quite honest.  Making it dynamic would be even better; perhaps allow for cover  'styles' for primary and secondary weapons. 

The idea of the game is Fast-Paced and doing this severely limits mobility

You have not read my post correct. So this answer is - no.

Thanks anyway.

Is it correct to assume you come from the ME series from your alias?

Personally I dislike cover systems, I find they are unnatural and break the flow of play. I'm used to take cover myself and do that stuff "manually".

I also played ME and found the cover thing rather annoying.

But the moves you talk about are interesting. More tenno agility is always welcome, specially if they're ninja.like moves.

You although have not read my post correct.

Yes, it is an expansion. Even better then this  - an option.

(ps. ME´s cover system is BAD)

Personally I'm in support of a cover system.  We have our enemies effectively taking cover, however we cannot do anything of the like.  Seems kinda.. stupid, to be quite honest.  Making it dynamic would be even better; perhaps allow for cover  'styles' for primary and secondary weapons. 

+1 for reading my post correct.

No, +2 !

Edited by ioeshepard

The game already has cover, go to a chest-sized object and hold crouch and then you can stand and shoot.

Besides, it doensn't make sense, if you are on cover, how are you even gonna do a roundhouse attack?

The idea the OP suggested is that in the open you could double-tap the cover button to go prone, and a melee attack while prone would be a roundhouse attack with a certain cover style, as an example.  Also of note, the old block button is kinda sitting empty, and this could go there instead.  And while yes, you can crouch behind a chest-size object, this doesn't allow for (comparatively) safe shooting around a corner, or stealth / hiding behind objects, or leaving the minimum part of your body possible with whatever you're trying to hide behind instead of a much larger target than necessary. 

The game already has cover, go to a chest-sized object and hold crouch and then you can stand and shoot.

Besides, it doensn't make sense, if you are on cover, how are you even gonna do a roundhouse attack?

------- nevermind

Edited by ioeshepard

I don't mind this. A lot of stealth games employ the use of hiding around corners/cover to avoid detection, and followed by a fast silent dash to the next cover. Since we're supposedly ninjas, it would make sense to let us take out targets/patrols while moving from cover to cover. I don't mind the ME cover system, as long as it was more fast paced. At the moment, you can barely find much use for cover (since there is no cover system, but just hide behind a big enough object), seeing as enemies can shoot around corners/cover while you have to get out of cover and aim for that arm holding the weapon, shooting at you.

My favorite is trying to aim while in cover but your bullets end up clipping the object you were using as cover, which forces you to pop out into other well-placed enemy fire.

Yes this is "supposed" to be a fast-paced game. Yes you can always just use blocking, but if you are shooting an enemy, blocking would require you to switch to holding your melee weapon. You can do fast attacks with melee with E while using primary or secondary, but you can not block.

The cover system might have problems, since it might slow the pace of the game down. Or it might not, we won't know for sure. The new melee system is nice, but the channeling is still a bit weird and unsatisfactory in my opinion. More can be improved.

For now, I'll give the OP an upvote, since I don't mind a cover system. It's like stealth. It's there (barely, but you can still stealth your whole way through missions), but rarely anyone uses it.

Edited by VoidWraith

I read your post, you spoke about cover and some acrobatic moves.

I support prone/etc moves (like the dive) as they may contribute to the flow and chaining of movements (thats how your idea sounds)

I don't support "cover systems", and I don't want more "cover mods" clogging the already devilish RNG ritual. That's just my opinion.

Maybe DE will implement this kind of stuff somewhere in the future, more ninja moves.

EDIT: If you say there's no "cover" because there's no button to stick your back to an object, I don't have much more to say ;p

Edited by ArchPhaeton

i dont care about cover. I want more maneuvers. Thats all i care. I WANT TO DO A TRIPLE-BACK-SIDE-JUMP-FLIP! But eveyrone other than me will probably want this, though.

Edited by jjpdn

I read your post, you spoke about cover and some acrobatic moves.

I support prone/etc moves (like the dive) as they may contribute to the flow and chaining of movements (thats how your idea sounds)

I don't support "cover systems", and I don't want more "cover mods" clogging the already devilish RNG ritual. That's just my opinion.

Maybe DE will implement this kind of stuff somewhere in the future, more ninja moves.

EDIT: If you say there's no "cover" because there's no button to stick your back to an object, I don't have much more to say ;p

i dont care about cover. I want more maneuvers. Thats all i care. I WANT TO DO A TRIPLE-BACK-SIDE-JUMP-FLIP! But eveyrone other than me will probably want this, though.

Rest easy guys - this is an option. ( TRIPLE-BACK-SIDE-JUMP-FLIP this system provides this - even more as it is free-flow )

The mod idea is very simple and as i read in the last 3 posts - a very good idea. You can use it or not and you can expand ANYTIME.

To the RNG ritual - well, it´s a grind game on one end ...  not much else to say. You can hate it but it´s although FREE TO PLAY.

While one want´s more moves (flow) another want´s to use a wall to shoot around it "blindfire" style (tactical).

-----

I put another example here :

Sprint along a corridor - a grineer at the end is patrolling behind some boxes - double tap cover to start sliding into it on your chest - hold it until you hit the cover - hit melee for insta-kill over cover - move on and stay undetected.

This action depends on the mod you use to separate a more acrobatic cover ( free-flow-form) use or a more tactical ( free-flow variation ) that supports sniper game play.

Without mod you don´t use cover at all only soft cover as is.

This system provides more effective world object use - resulting in a lot more action/acrobatic combat as is now and it´s free-flow resulting in an enormous amount of complexity without sacrificing anything and it is complete optional.

Edited by ioeshepard

• 1 month later...