The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

First Book But So Good.

Revel72

Though as myself mostly reading comics or small books of comics. I really haven't spent time on reading over 500 pages long books but this what I felt like good to go start with is Eragon. Extremely big credits to Christopher Paolini (if that is the way how his name is announced) for this incredible funny and good book. My favorite character is Eragon's dragon. Sapphire. What I love on her is that mother kind world of emotion or whatever it was called and feelings, reactions about Eragon's mistakes.

Etc. I just love that character as being a bit secretive on Eragon (especially about her gender when Eragon was throwing out names for her) I just had to say all the time as I read through lines of her about how she hated to be away from Eragon at near of the start of book but just my favorite words from her was when she pressed Eragon on the ground and said "You are one bloody child to keep eye. You are always on danger when I turn my head away from you. Do you even think how I feel?! Were you suppose to be Dragon Rider?! Tomorrow you will ride on my back and leave that elk animal what you CALL A HORSE!" I just burst on laugh because I was able to imagine the very scene.

I remember it from the movie but the way I imagined the scene felt much more better and I just fell on love of how Sapphire impresses herself and personality in overall. Another funny scene of the book was when son of ... Who it was? I don't remember it totally but what I do remember that Eragon and this guy gone in to fight Sapphire pressed both on the ground. "How dare you act like a drunken man angered!? And you are suppose to be Dragon Rider... Do you think that they acts like this? I thought you would be the wise one and quit the fight where it started!" (or something like that [note that book was on my own language so turning the words on English without book is difficult] I am not sure how they were on the book but just) So much love I need to give Sapphire from her mother like attitude, personality and world of emotion.

If there is one book you should read after so long time that Eragon was remembered. I just need to say if it is possible search for this book Eragon Christopher Paolini first part of sequel from Heir. I read myself the book about over 5 or 3 months ago... Not sure but I may repeat myself again. I just loved the book.

I've read all the books, after a point they became unbearably slow and just seemed to drag on (see what I did there?) forever. And I found all the dragons in the book highly generic and boring. Really, all the characters save for a few who showed up on the side were predictable and boring as hell.

Another thing is that Paolini went too deep into the immersion approach. Sure, when a story is that detailed and deep the important moments really shine through, but you have to muck through all the tiny bits to get there.

The books do however manage to provide a compelling story in an immersive if shoddily created and generic world. They're just an effort to read through.

I did enjoy the series... but what killed its popularity right from the get go? Extremely slow start to the story.

Then later on, the story became less focused on the story itself, and became about the drama, angst, etc. 

They are good, they are enjoyable, but you have to power through them.

...And the ending was rather overrated as well. You could see it coming for miles.

And I do believe the scene you are mentioning is when Saphira had pinned Murtagh and Eragon to the ground when they were being overdramatic about the revelation of Murtagh's father, and Murtagh's only way out of the canyon being to go to the Varden.

Edited by HiddenKharma

Have u read all of the books?

Nope only this first one... Didn't find the other parts yet from my closest library.

It's been years since I rememeber reading the book. I was also not an adult.

To be honest, I don't even remember if it is actually any good or not.

To me it is my favorite books.

I've read all the books, after a point they became unbearably slow and just seemed to drag on (see what I did there?) forever. And I found all the dragons in the book highly generic and boring. Really, all the characters save for a few who showed up on the side were predictable and boring as hell.

Another thing is that Paolini went too deep into the immersion approach. Sure, when a story is that detailed and deep the important moments really shine through, but you have to muck through all the tiny bits to get there.

The books do however manage to provide a compelling story in an immersive if shoddily created and generic world. They're just an effort to read through.

The books just are better than the movies on my part sometimes the slow approach is the best. You do not want to rush through mortar fire without protection against it don't you?

I did enjoy the series... but what killed its popularity right from the get go? Extremely slow start to the story.

Then later on, the story became less focused on the story itself, and became about the drama, angst, etc. 

They are good, they are enjoyable, but you have to power through them.

...And the ending was rather overrated as well. You could see it coming for miles.

And I do believe the scene you are mentioning is when Saphira had pinned Murtagh and Eragon to the ground when they were being overdramatic about the revelation of Murtagh's father, and Murtagh's only way out of the canyon being to go to the Varden.

Yes it was Murtagh :P forgot totally the name. I didn't myself read completely through the book but as I had closed in about 20 or more of the pages left I was able to expect how the book was going to end. I didn't really mind powering through the book because I had interest on reading it and I had time to do that as I was going to sleep after day on vocational school.

Ahh... Saphira you are just... Damn good on being a parent to Eragon :D

I quite liked Eragon, then I read Eldest and Brisingr. Liked them all. But then my tastes changed when I "discovered" Game of Thrones. In comparison the Eragon saga is such a childish story, and thus I didn't like it again; it was so predictable, so black and white, so "the good guy always wins, no matter what".

With A son of Ice and Fire i discovered that not everything is black and white, but there are in-betweens and more good people that turn bad that you can count. not to mention the endless deaths of main characters.

Then I "discovered" The Witcher (Game first, books after), similar in the morals to A Song of Ice and Fire, and lastly, The Kingkiller Chronicle (The Name of the Wind, The Wise Man's Fear). All of them excellently and beautifully written.

Maybe staying in the more traditional, Tolkien-like fantasy is good, as tastes differ, but try giving a go to the books I mentioned, you may like them.

The Inheritance Cycle is s decent start as far as fantasy reading goes. It isn't a bad set of books, but there are far better out there.

After reading A Song of Ice and Fire, however those books seemed a bit weak, but that is more in testament to the skill of George Martin as an author. Recently I have been enjoying Brandon Sanderson's writings. Though not quite as heavy as Martin's, his books are extremely well crafted, and take an interesting approach to fantasy, deviating from what is standard. 

I would highly recommend the Stormlight Archive. They are big meaty books you can sink your teeth into, and leave you hungry for more. As of now only two volumes have been released, The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance.

The Bartimaeus Trilogy written by Jonathon Stroud is another great series to read. The books are shorter and take a more lighthearted note, but are still very well written and enjoyable by readers of all ages

The Inheritance Cycle is s decent start as far as fantasy reading goes. It isn't a bad set of books, but there are far better out there.

After reading A Song of Ice and Fire, however those books seemed a bit weak, but that is more in testament to the skill of George Martin as an author. Recently I have been enjoying Brandon Sanderson's writings. Though not quite as heavy as Martin's, his books are extremely well crafted, and take an interesting approach to fantasy, deviating from what is standard. 

I would highly recommend the Stormlight Archive. They are big meaty books you can sink your teeth into, and leave you hungry for more. As of now only two volumes have been released, The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance.

The Bartimaeus Trilogy written by Jonathon Stroud is another great series to read. The books are shorter and take a more lighthearted note, but are still very well written and enjoyable by readers of all ages

Thou I am not sure will I be able to find those books on here at Finland because they being translated on these really odd words for you all.

Right now when is Easter nearby library is closed for this holiday season (and I am seriously sad about it because at the monday I need to leave back in to business at the Vocational school.