The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Terrible Fps... Is It My Pc?

Afroman12

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

1 - Take a screenshot of the first tab in this program.

2 - Go to the second tab, and make sure that the option to keep refreshing while the game is in the background is checked.

3 - Run the game, and about 15 seconds after the game starts doing the slowdown, go take a screenshot of the second tab so we can see what all the sensor transitions are like

Hmm... seems like only GPU load is lowering quite substantially. Going from 40% load to 10% O.o

http://i.imgur.com/2b7HXdQ.png

http://i.imgur.com/ASKwSKY.jpg

Edited by Afroman12

Well to get technical most games place a soft cap at around 60-65 FPS since most monitors are physically incapable of displaying more (it's the refresh rate)

Plenty of games with no cap, or an adjustable cap, and refresh rates in excess of 60Hz are not unusual.

With regard to Warframe specifically, some mechanisms need to be more independent of frame rate before a cap would be wise. For example, I've had people comment that Hysteria is "slow", and they were wondering how I was dealing the damage I was doing with it...well, it's not slow if you are getting 100-200 fps, but dip down to 50 and there is a noticeable sluggishness to attacks. Same sort of thing can be seen in some of the faster cycling semi-auto weapons; they are capped by frame rate.

Turned off Phys X and still get the same frame rate issues. Also what is more funny is that even though I turned the graphics all the way down... I get down 20 to 30 FPS and see no improvement or FPS past 100... What...? Something is defiantly broken here.

You have a stock FX-8350 correct?

Once you rule out CPU and GPU throttling (check their speeds during play with software that will log the, if you don't have a second monitor), it may be wise to obtain a second stick of memory to see if single-channel is a contributing factor. Normally it won't be, but there are exceptions.

This looks more like a bragging topic. Because hell, it's quite the setup.

my friend has almost same specs as he has, but he crashes and on 20fps,

weird that i have 50 fps but my specs are totally waaaaaaaaaay mediocre than his.

this is totally weird and i therefore conclude this is on warframe's side.   

these crashes is painful since my friends i join does crash aswell /hostmigrationpls.

/beta

Edited by Ritchel

As I sat and began to ponder more and more if it was my PC I decided to go to my BIOS and tinker with things... sure enough my frame rate has stabilized a F*** ton after turning some things off. I can help AMD users with it but Intel I cannot.

Enter your BIOS (Press F2 or Delete or F10 it varies)

Turn off the following options if you see them

AMD APM

AMD C1E or C-State or Enhanced Halt State (all the same thing only with different names)

AMD Turbo Core (I don't know why but this messed with my clock speed often making it slower when it was spose to boost things.)

Speed Spectrum

CPU Thermal Throttle

Core C6 State

These features cause your CPU to throttle at the motherboards choice at set intervals. If the Motherboard deems that your CPU is using too much power over the written limits it will bog your computer down. It is by no means dangerous these features are power saving features. Heavy ones at that. Gaming usually requires more than the average user and these features are meant for people who just use Facebook or Youtube and don't play games like Warframe.

You can Google most of these if you do not trust me to read up on it. I wonder how I got this far with these things on... seriously. I feel dumb for not going to my BIOS first and turning these off...

Edit: Cool n' Quiet is another thing but is very lenient on your CPU and only saves power when you idol (usually only use 10% of your CPU or less) and seems to have little to no effect on me yet. I've turned it off for about 20 minutes then turned it back on and am currently testing but seem to have no problem.

Edit x 2: Warframe seems to be running smoothly so far. Some parts FPS goes down to 50 but that is usually during Defense and there is A LOT of things shooting at me and moving around so I can understand that.

So I'll post again here if I run in to the issue again. I'll be turning on DirectX 11 to see if that causes it to chug.

Edit x 3: I started this project around... 7pm my time. It is now 10:13pm my time. I can surely say that turning off these features have improved my FPS indefinitely. After 3 hours of non stop play I have had no crashes, no overheats, no sudden bog downs from my FPS or anything. I would rate this as a success and I apologize to DE for any inconvenience I've caused saying it's the games engine. It was my own damn motherboard... and coming from a guy who works with tech... this is extremely shameful of me.

Edited by Afroman12

So this isn't even a laptop?  If it's not throttling due to thermal concerns your motherboard may need a software update if it's downstepping the CPU while it's still under heavy use.

The CPU throttling was caused by the power saving features of the BIOS. After turning them all off except for Cool n' Quiet there is no more throttling or FPS dips in Warframe.

Edited by Afroman12

The CPU throttling was caused by the power saving features of the BIOS. After turning them all off except for Cool n' Quiet there is no more throttling or FPS dips in Warframe.

Yeah, but it shouldn't be doing that when gaming, so there might be some software bug that needs fixing so the detection of whether you're idle enough for downclocking the CPU works better (as those features do save on power under normal circumstances).

AMD APM

AMD C1E or C-State or Enhanced Halt State (all the same thing only with different names)

AMD Turbo Core (I don't know why but this messed with my clock speed often making it slower when it was spose to boost things.)

Speed Spectrum

CPU Thermal Throttle

Core C6 State

Spread spectrum has nothing to do with your problem, but the other ones are all likely contributors.

Turbo Core boosts the speed of certain core when the total power consumption and temperature is below a certain point, but if an application is using more cores than are boosted, the rest may end up being down-clocked or parked, which can stall what's running on them as they are switched to other cores, possibly ones on the same module.

If you are on Windows 7, I'd highly recommend applying the AMD specific Windows patches here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2646060

Yeah, but it shouldn't be doing that when gaming, so there might be some software bug that needs fixing so the detection of whether you're idle enough for downclocking the CPU works better (as those features do save on power under normal circumstances).

Just setting incorrect affinity can cause major problems due to software still not recognizing certain quirks about AMD's Zambezi/Vishera architecture.

He probably had one or two modules running at full speed, with all threads assigned to the them, while the rest of the CPU was in a C-state. This is not ideal. Unless threads are so tightly coupled that going to the L3 cache to maintain coherency would be prohibitively expensive,  they should be split up and assigned to independent modules first.

Edited by Saenol

Some guys definately dont know what they are talking about... Physx is old as S#&$, really old there were ppu's(physics processing units) before physx was bought by nvidia. Now they are almost extinct. Second, the warframe engine(evolution engine) is based off unreal engine. DE helped epic to develop ue3 so i think they have enough experiance to know how to develop a good engine. Though i have to say that the preformance scaling is still pretty awful