The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Extremely Nasty System Crash

TheGentlemanRolePlayer

I only have gotten this crash while playing warframe. All other high performance games I don't get this.

This is the second time it's happened... Maybe a player can help identify what's happening.

I'm nearing the exit, both times on the ice colony world with the long hill you can slide down...

I go to break some crates, open some boxes before exiting. My screen goes black, my monitor is no longer 'connected' to my computer. All sound turns off. I must force my computer off.

The first time this happened, I got back in no problem, this was about a month ago.

This time tonight... Nasty nasty... I had to reset my router and fiddle with the internet to turn my net back on JUST for this computer, all other internet sources were valid -except this one-. Restarting didn't fix, it wasn't until I unplugged the wire from the wall connecting to the modem and reconnecting it that it fixed it for me.

Can anyone explain what might be going on?

P.S. This has only occured on the ice colony tile set on the sliding hill at the exit during alerts during infestation typed missions.

Sounds like a monitor resizing issue. Try launching the game in windowed or borderless fullscreen mode (uncheck "fullscreen" in launcher and choose wither windowed or borderless fullscreen in the in game settings). 

If you bypass any aspect ratio resizing (which occurs with pretty much every game that runs fullscreen) then you might not encounter this issue. 

I go to break some crates, open some boxes before exiting. My screen goes black, my monitor is no longer 'connected' to my computer. All sound turns off. I must force my computer off.

Highly speculative, but this sounds like a power supply issue. Perhaps an old PSU where capacitor aging has diminished its ability to supply adequate current to meet the GPU's high demands.

Most other failures (in the game code, driver, Windows) behave differently and fail somewhat gracefully. Even a hard GPU lockup will freeze/blank the screen with the audio looping, typically, unless perhaps you're using the integrated HDMI audio of newer cards.

Difficult to test without another PSU to try, and if the interval between occurrence is a month it will be very hard to confirm. But that's my theory.

The network problem is probably a side effect and should be resolved by correcting the primary issue, whatever it ends up being.