The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Destiny: Discussion, Thoughts, Overexcitment

Renathy

As much as I love Warframe, there are always other games that catch my eye. Destiny is one of those games with so much desired content in them that they always end up receiving lots of admiration. Bungie, one of the developers of the Halo series, have been developing this game, alongside Activision, for quite a while now, and unlike Digital Extremes, they have not yet released a beta, while putting in a lot of content, but they will this fall, hopefully.

But these kind of titles are risky. Although they seem amazing at a first glance, they can always end up like a big pile of dung. Not to mention that they parterned up with Activison. Will that be a good thing? There have been many cases of terrible titles, but the good thing is that Bungie, with the successful Halo series, have spent a lot of their vast resources and time in this game.

So, what exactly is Destiny, you ask. Destiny is an open-world multiplayer first-person shooter game. That's really the basic of it, but wait! There's more! They're calling it a shared-world shooter, which is what it was referred to. Basically, it has a much better matchmaking system, comparatively to many MMOs' nowadays. You can play with up to two players, making it a three player party co-op experience, but it's quite dynamic, as the game includes public events, where anyone can join, so your team grows much bigger in those events, helping you kill bosses or survive waves of enemies. But don't take my word for it, watch what Destiny has to give, in this content knowledge video:

http://youtu.be/hLQFmob-vsM

NOTE: Please do not compare Warframe with Destiny, in the sense where one game has better content than the other. You can talk about both games, though, as long as it's not criticizing or critiquing, complaining, or just being rude in general, with the work of the Digital Extremes team. (e.g.: "omg wf so bad. liek destiny has dis and dat and de dnt give us dat, or fix this." Yadda, yadda, you get the point!)

What are you looking forward the most in Destiny? What do you like about the game?

Discuss with the community. Share you thoughts. Scream like a fan-girl.

Edited by JRMC

I'm hyped to try it out when it's released, but I don't got any of the right consoles for it.

I believe it may come to PC, as it was announced in a website's blog post. You can check it out here. (I can't find any more information about this, so it may not be accurate.)

I was following Destiny far before I started playing Warframe, I made an account on Bungie's website the week of the Destiny ARG. As I've played Warframe and as Bungie has revealed more information about Destiny, I've begun to realize that they are very similar games. Not just the generic sci-fi shooter similarities, but some oddly specific details. For example, the Focus system has been tossed around here on the Warframe forums for a long time as a way of making player development and progress independent of your gear levels. Guess what Destiny's player progression system is called? That's right, the Focus system. And in the Devil's Lair trailer released today, a new boss in Old Russia was revealed as Sepiks Prime. Seriously Bungie? Prime?

I was following Destiny far before I started playing Warframe, I made an account on Bungie's website the week of the Destiny ARG. As I've played Warframe and as Bungie has revealed more information about Destiny, I've begun to realize that they are very similar games. Not just the generic sci-fi shooter similarities, but some oddly specific details. For example, the Focus system has been tossed around here on the Warframe forums for a long time as a way of making player development and progress independent of your gear levels. Guess what Destiny's player progression system is called? That's right, the Focus system. And in the Devil's Lair trailer released today, a new boss in Old Russia was revealed as Sepiks Prime. Seriously Bungie? Prime?

The Prime thing is used in many games. It's a way of saying the person/being has, I guess you could say transgressed their normal power and become more powerful. Or they've become the final form; their true power is unveiled. 

As a fan of the original 3 Halo games (Still a fan of the Halo series, I much enjoyed Halo 4), I have been extremely excited ever since I heard about it.

I have my copy pre-ordered for PS4 and am eagerly awaiting for the beta to start. I think Destiny will be really good. That part with activison, I am pretty sure activision is just publishing it and such, I dont think they are working on it with Bungie.

I cant wait for Destiny :D

The Prime thing is used in many games. It's a way of saying the person/being has, I guess you could say transgressed their normal power and become more powerful. Or they've become the final form; their true power is unveiled.

I know that Prime isn't a word unique to Warframe, I just thought it was strange of Bungie to specifically use it. And Prime implies that there are other iterations of the object/being in question, which makes perfect sense the way it is used in Warframe but not at all in Destiny. It's a brand new game, and all of the characters are new also. Unless there are many Sepiks, why would Bungie call it Prime? It seems like one of those moments where an exec said "that's not good enough, slap a flashy name on it to make it better." At least, that's how it seems to me.

Gameplay a bit slower than I would like, but its just a preview. Still looking forward to joining Dead Orbit as a Hunter.

In my opinion, it's perfect the way it is. Doesn't seem too fast, nor too slow. In general the game looks intense, even when the gameplay shows the character walking along, looking at the view.

Destiny is certainly the game I planned to purchase for this year. It's like borderlands, but with the epic Bungie feel, and none of the Gearbox money-humping.

It's an improved version of Borderlands, though. Borderlands had many weak points, which was mainly paid downloadable content. "Do you want to play more missions and have more characters and skins? Purchase now, for 9.99$!" Just so you can play it once, and repeat it all over again, with yet another boring character.

Let's just hope Destiny doesn't end up like that, though.

Edited by JRMC

I believe it may come to PC, as it was announced in a website's blog post. You can check it out here. (I can't find any more information about this, so it may not be accurate.)

It's a nice, wishful-thinking lie, what's written on that article, but Bungie's made their stance on whether or not Destiny will come to PC quite clear.

It was a nice sentence to read, that it would be released on PC as well come September ninth, even if the joy lasted only for half a second.

It's an improved version of Borderlands, though. Borderlands had many weak points, which was mainly paid downloadable content. "Do you want to play more missions and have more characters and skins? Purchase now, for 9.99$!" Just so you can play it once, and repeat it all over again, with yet another boring character.

Let's just hope Destiny doesn't end up like that, though.

I might have a bit of bias towards Bungie since they were arguably my "first" game dev. (Not my first game, but first devs that I garnered a trust over). I have high hopes for Destiny, and I won't doubt that future content will probably be DLC, but they've stated something along the lines that they wont charge extra for anything that impairs progress.

I might have a bit of bias towards Bungie since they were arguably my "first" game dev. (Not my first game, but first devs that I garnered a trust over). I have high hopes for Destiny, and I won't doubt that future content will probably be DLC, but they've stated something along the lines that they wont charge extra for anything that impairs progress.

Well, they're working with Activision, and it was stated in the video they have some sort of contract with them. Although it is inaccurate at the time, who knows what kind of sick money-grabbing ideas Activision has.

So, what exactly is Destiny, you ask. Destiny is an open-world multiplayer first-person shooter game. That's really the basic of it, but wait! There's more! They're calling it a shared-world shooter, which is what it was referred to. Basically, it has a much better matchmaking system, comparatively to many MMOs' nowadays. You can play with up to two players, making it a three player party co-op experience, but it's quite dynamic, as the game includes public events, where anyone can join, so your team grows much bigger in those events, helping you kill bosses or survive waves of enemies. But don't take my word for it, watch what Destiny has to give, in this content knowledge video:

This reminds me of Defiance, but better for two reasons.

1. It is Bungie. They put a lot of effort into their games, and they listen to their community feedback quite closely.

2. It is not Trion. 

I'm looking forward to giving it a shot, myself.

This reminds me of Defiance, but better for two reasons.

1. It is Bungie. They put a lot of effort into their games, and they listen to their community feedback quite closely.

2. It is not Trion. 

I'm looking forward to giving it a shot, myself.

Defiance is a complete waste of time. It's so poorly developed in many ways, that their game's price had to go down to 10$, just so they could actually sell. They're still going down the wrong way by selling downloadable content with more campaign missions and whatnot. I'm glad I didn't buy it at the time.

My friends bought it and they both started playing, stating how amazing it was and that I seriously needed to play with them. I continuously said no, until one of them bought me the game. When I started playing, they were already more advanced than I was, and one of them had already stopped and played little to none with us. Then the other quit, as well, and I played it a little bit, but the game is just so obnoxious, that I couldn't bring myself to even rush it.

Looks boring and generic.

I'd rather re-play Fallout 3/NV if I wanted open world, tattered cloak wearing, futuristic fighting, exploraRPG.

The thing about Fallout is that it is out-dated. It has no multiplayer experience. You can't travel through worlds. The main factions are humans and the rest of the mutated crap out there. And not to mention that it is supposed to be retro sci-fi, while Destiny is mythic sci-fi. There's nothing generic about it. It brings those open-world MMO games down to their knees, in every single aspect of it.

The thing about Fallout is that it is out-dated. It has no multiplayer experience. You can't travel through worlds. The main factions are humans and the rest of the mutated crap out there. And not to mention that it is supposed to be retro sci-fi, while Destiny is mythic sci-fi. There's nothing generic about it. It brings those open-world MMO games down to their knees, in every single aspect of it.

You're already drinking the kool-aid, so i'll just let you have fun with your game.

You're already drinking the kool-aid, so i'll just let you have fun with your game.

You're simply not thinking outside the box. If you don't like the game, then what else do you want me to tell you? Play Fallout 'til you die, mate, I couldn't care less. If you're saying how generic and whatnot Destiny is, then every game is supposedly following the same path, right?