The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Make Channeling Worth It

Ashild_36

I had this idea early this morning and have spent a good deal of time thinking a tweeking it.

With the arrival of melee 2.0 a few weeks ago, I have come to realize two things; 1- weapons placed in a weapon catageory are subject to being all the same, besides stts which make or break a weapon (yes this has always been like this, but bear with me), 2- a lack of charged weapons (although i could really care less as i never really like charged attacks anyway) now replaced with channeling, which is not as effective. These are two really obvious things, but i have a way to fix both; let channeling give melee weapons special properties. I shall use

1- Heat weapons (dual swords, single sword and dagger varients), should get an additional amout of heat damage when channeling

2- Jet kittag, had an awsome charge animation before melee 2.0, what if channeling allowed for you to charge it the same way again? *wink-wink-nug-nug*

3- Swords, channeling gives them multi target hitting attacks

give any idea down below

2- That move is now part of Crushing Ruin stance. Yeah it's weird. Not unique to Jat anymore, and it looks awkward on the other hammers.

3- I thought swords already multi-hit now. Then again, I only use Dakra among longswords and I know it was multi-hitting before.

I would suggest to start being more loose with how numbers are attributed, to add variety, instead of staying in the same box all the time. For instance, currently all weapons have the same channel damage % and same channel efficiency. Why not play more with that for balance?

Currently, Dragon Nikana is a direct upgrade to regular Nikana. From a design standpoint, I find such decision very unappealing and uncreative, especially since it doesn't expand on anything from melee 2.0. So here's something a quick example of what could happen, which would be fitting both lore-wise (according to their description), and make it more interesting gameplay-wise.

- Increase Nikana's base damage to be slightly lower than current Dragon Nikana. Keep channeling damage and efficiency the same.

- Decrease Dragon Nikana's base damage to be lower than new Nikana base damage, but drastically increase channeling damage

Reasoning goes as follow:

- Dragon Nikana, according to its description, is a sword used only by the masters

-- It would make sense only the masters are able to be proficient with focusing their strength in their weapons (channeling), and so even with a duller blade, they can make it deadlier than sharpened sword.

- Dragon Nikana is only available when hitting master rank 8. By the time a player reaches that rank, they already have a lot of powerful mods for their Warframe and/or weapons.

-- Therefore, the loss of base damage isn't a big deal as they can make a channel build easily, creating a way more powerful sword.

Edited by Casardis

The thing is, channeling is very lack luster. Besides the awesome graphics of the channeling itself. The energy coursing through your frames into the weapon is pretty sweet. But that's it. You would think, according to what DE had once said in a livestream that charge attacks(now called channeling) would have their own combos/animation set or something.

Well, melee 2.0 is now here. Perhaps they are making it now, since after all, melee 2.0 was released not that long ago. Some of the weapons have old animations or choppy animations/recycled animations as part of their combos. We can see that DE is trying to input changes. Slowly.

They have some melee combos that use channeling as part of their melee combo strings, but that wasn't what I had in mind when they said that channeling/charged attacks would have their own combo/animations.

The finishers, and slide attacks. Most of them are generic recycled animations from the old melee system. I can only hope that DE has plans for this. Although the faith of them actually coming up with it soon is less likely, since they seem to constantly have a plate of problems pooling out onto the floor and possibly flooding.