The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe: F2P Done Right Or Wrong?

UncaIroh

It's working mosty right

Potatoes aren't expensive and can be obtained with trading plat , alerts  and devstream rewards and some events.

YOu can plat by  playing the game. ( I think I made about 100 plat with trading alone)

The problem: the other market prices are very off : skana = 150p 

What stalker = 800 p

Most of the frames are overpiced except Vauban Nekros  And the 3 starter frames

All the weapons: basically buying the BP , rushing it and adding a catalyst and buying a slot is way cheaper in plat than buying it directly

Important things are a pretty low plat sink like slots, other things are cosmetics. Everything else in the game can be earned somehow but you can pay to shortcut. In my opinion that's f2p done correctly.

Agree, like someone said on some steam discussion "Warframe is Pay4Convenience". You can get everything on your own, plat just makes it a wee bit easier/faster. And you can pretty easily get that plat through trading.

Mostly good, if you ignore that the prices assigned to items in the marketplace are either random or designed to reward paying attention and shopping around and reading up on things first, while trapping those players who don't do their homework for the sake of instant gratification.

I'm not sure which one it is.

But the Skana, the starting melee weapon, cannot be purchased for credits, only 150 platinum - which is higher than the price of Dual Skana.

Random, or a trap?

You make the call.

Edited by Frigglish

It's relatively good, all things considered. The only problem is that no matter how much money you may spend on Warframe, you're still stuck behind the same RNG grind walls, artificially-inflated foundry times, and other such contrivances put in place to nudge people INTO spending money. So I suppose that my main problem with F2P games, even in a relatively "ideal" format like Warframe's, is that you really never can spend *enough* money to entirely forego the mechanics endemic to F2P games. That's kind of a problem for me, I'd like to see some progress made to mitigate that. Reward the fact that someone IS a supporter, rather than just rewarding them for what they spend. Some F2P titles do have "tiered" memberships, I would like to see more of that.

My problem specifically with Warframe, lately, is that some of the grinding/hoops/RNG have really gotten abominably ridiculous. I think F2P games tend to use that as a catalyst for the frustration/impatience which leads to cash shop purchases. Don't really care for that. I realize they want to make money, but I don't want to feel like I'm being bilked though game mechanics.

Edited by DeadlyFred

The stability of platinum sink is 99% decent.

Lets all be honest. For what do you need platinum, tat you can't aquire ingame, and it ACTUALLY affects you?

Warframe slots? You have 2 free, manage them, delete rank 30, create them back later if you want

Weapon Slots? I have no clue how many you start with but if i recall correctlu, around 9, 3 for each weapon type. Same as above, manage them, delete rank 30, create them back later if you want.

Now, Accessories, color palletes, syandanas, etc, are all cosmetics, you don't need them.

Potatoes? You get them ingame. Formas? You get them ingame.

Platinum is purely an "i don't have THAT much time for this" feature and a "hell, i'm gonna look like a sexy space ninja beast will all new colors and that nice syandana, not to forget my pimped melee weapon acessories".

About bundles, well, they're expensive, but you don't need to buy them, i got the "what stalker set" bundle, ingame, not bought.

So in all terms and features, the F2P market was made really nice.

To be wrong, you would need something like: 

50 platinum - OMG Booster (Increased shields/health pool by 200% for 2 days)

That would screw things up. That is wrong F2P market

Edited by Endrance

It is done right for the most part. I still miss the times where T3 dropped catalyst BP. It was hard to get to for newer players, but it was much easier for me, which is... Well, I'm selfish :D

So the fact that there is a 24 hour alert after streams makes it OK. Random alert potatoes are hard to catch and they are annoying when you miss them, but let's face it: It's all about luck. Yet I think it's not that bad.

It took me 450 hours to get to mastery 12 and I only used plat for potatoes. And all the plat I used was from trading.

It is done right for the most part. I still miss the times where T3 dropped catalyst BP. It was hard to get to for newer players, but it was much easier for me, which is... Well, I'm selfish :D

So the fact that there is a 24 hour alert after streams makes it OK. Random alert potatoes are hard to catch and they are annoying when you miss them, but let's face it: It's all about luck. Yet I think it's not that bad.

It took me 450 hours to get to mastery 12 and I only used plat for potatoes. And all the plat I used was from trading.

Dammit

the golden potato age XD