The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De! Utility Mod Slots!

Stefanovich

All we need is 2 of 'em for our Warframe!

1 slot for our weapon!

They can still share the same mod points as the other mods!

I want to use Anti-Toxin on my high level Infested melee build, but it's never going to be worth giving up Rage with Ash's huge health!

I really want to use Firestorm on my Ignis, but I don't have enough slots!

Reasign utility mods into the "Utility" category so that only those mods can be equipped there!

Please! Utility mod slots!

Exclamation marks make this important!!!

Feedback is welcome!

I think a "utility" mod slot in primary and secondary weapons would be a good thing. It could function like aura slots for Warframes and stance slots for melee. This way, we would have a reason to use some of the less used mods, like extra zoom or mag space.

I don't really have an opinion on utility slots on Warframes though.

Edit: I would only like the extra slots on the weapons if DE made some of the already existing mods into utility, and do NOT add more mods to farm for it.

Edited by CaptainPeanut

I think a "utility" mod slot in primary and secondary weapons would be a good thing. It could function like aura slots for Warframes and stance slots for melee. This way, we would have a reason to use some of the less used mods, like extra zoom or mag space.

I don't really have an opinion on utility slots on Warframes though.

Do you want Flame Repellent and Reflection to continue to be ignored?! I sure don't! Edited by Stefanovich

I never really liked the idea of utility only mods, it seems counter-intuitive for a mod system that's supposed to be about choice, not that there's much choice right now, but that's mainly because of how useless the majority of mods are compared to +damage/health/etc mods. I mean +440% health vs. 60% elemental resistance (something enemies rarely even use) is no competition.

Perhaps utility slots could be a temporary solution, I'll give you that, but I think the real issue that should be tackled is reducing the disparity between utility mods and "necessary" mods, even if it means a major reworking of the Mod system and reducing the amount/effectiveness of straight +damage or +health/shield mods and really stacking some more benefits into the currently lesser-used mods to make them significantly less situational (alot of mods could afford to be condensed to have 2 or more bonuses).

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Do you want Flame Repellent and Reflection to continue to be ignored?! I sure don't!

Then buff 'em till they're viable. Adding more slots is only going to encourage stacking and discourage variety; there's only one "everything" build.

Like Paradox said, condensing the mods is a good first step. Elemental resistance mods can be combined for less-specific-but-still-powerful damage resistance, Stamina mods can be condensed into maybe two mods in total to make them more appealing, Intruder can be assimilated into existing Duration mods, Maglev can be merged with Rush, etc.

Mods that have no similar-themed ones to combine with, such as Reflection and Heavy Impact, can simply be buffed to the point of a single mod offering a gamechanging boost (as all Power-related mods are).

Edited by SortaRandom

TBH, I think these utility mods should be discarded and mixed into existing mainstream mods as randomized properties. They are not going to be used even if they have their own slots due to limited mod point that better spent making your frame faster/higher durability.

A. Add rarity tier for each mod. Each tier can get more randomized properties at the cost of slightly higher mod point consumption.

Example - Common redirection has no additional property.

Uncommon redirection has one randomized properties.

Rare redirection has two randomized properties.

These randomized properties should be thematically related to defense mechanic like fire resistance/laser resistance/ice resistance/reflection.

Doing so is going to change Warframe grind into something much more fun while adding a lot of randomization to the current extremely static loot that ignores these utility mods completely.

Mods serve 2 purposes: "levelling"/power and customization/adaptation.

I remember a famous game designer saying something like:

"When customization and raw power compete for the same ressources, raw power always wins."

Reserving some existing slots for utility would lead to a power loss, adding new reserved slots or merging mods would mean an increase.

Even if I like the idea of merging, I'm not sure I'd enjoy the game getting easier and easier.

Nightmare/corrupted mods could have been a good place for that. Instead of mods stacking with existing ones, they could have been replacements, with utility (e.g. instead of heavy caliber, a "serration + silence" and a "serration + zoom", but with all +damage mods being mutually exclusive).

Edited by Mazikeen