The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ash Redux

Vargras

I've recently been playing my Ash frame an awful lot -- despite his weak state in comparison to other frames, he's still quite fun to play. For someone meant to be the archetypal ninja, however, he's somewhat lacking in that department. In addition, he's sorely lacking in utility, something that drastically increases viability in end-game states as damaging abilities don't scale nearly as well.

The following is my own take on what could maybe be done to add a bit more flair to his kit, and to breath a bit of life into him. Nothing is particularly earth-shattering, just some simple tweaks here and there.

Shuriken

If aimed near enemies, Shuriken functions as it currently does and will fire off two blades, slightly homing in on two targets. If Shuriken is fired at terrain, however, it will act as a teleport beacon for Ash and all allies. On its own, a single Shuriken would do nothing -- by using a second Shuriken, Ash can set up a two-way teleport between two different areas of the map. Unlike Nova's Wormhole, this would not be dependent on line-of-sight in order to use the teleport.

When using the teleport function of Shuriken, Ash is limited to two Shurikens at a time, and the teleporation distance is limited by range (increased by range mods).

Possible iterations also included a climbing rope, tight rope, or zipline attached to the shurikens, but none made much sense given the technology available to the Tenno.

Smoke Screen

In addition to the current invisibility for Ash and the stagger effect on enemies, Smoke Screen now has a secondary effect for allies. Allies close to Ash when he uses Smoke Screen are covered in a haze of smoke -- though it isn't true invisibility like what Ash and Loki can do, the haze of smoke would have two benefits:

-It reduces the range at which allies can be visibly detected by enemies. Allies should bear in mind that they aren't actually invisible, and running right up to an enemy will still alert them. They can get a bit closer than usual, though.

-If in combat, the haze of smoke reduces the chance for allies to be hit by projectiles. Think of Zephyr's Turbulence at half the effectiveness.

Teleport

In addition to the current usable targets of enemies, allies, and objectives, Teleport is now usable on terrain. Using Teleport on terrain will briefly turn Ash invisible upon arrival.

Blade Storm

Blade Storm would function as-is, with another component added. Enemies who manage to survive Blade Storm (which happens fairly often in high-level play) are Marked For Death, causing them to receive additional damage from all sources for a few seconds. This damage boost would increase with strength and duration mods.

Edited by Vargras

I personally think they should play off the whole 'smoke n' mirrors ninja' theme more. These two powers are in a greater need of reworking.

Kemutai (smoky) Shuriken

All four of these suggestions are pretty important to be added all at once.

-Adding a blinding after-effect to shuriken, via an exploding smoke canister, providing additional melee damage and stealth finishers to debilitated enemies who have been struck.
-Increase the shuriken count from 2 to 3, 4, or 5 shuriken launched at once
-Increase the damage, it was completely decimated due to damage 2.0's changes
-Eliminate the downtime in between shuriken throws

Blade Storm

What's wrong with it: it's slow, has very low utility, and does not target enemies outside the tile you are presently in.

How it can be made far better
-Allow Ash to enter a state much like Valkyr's melee state, except he can teleport to enemies then assassinate them simply by aiming and clicking the melee attack button. He can still use all of his other powers during the meantime.
-Every time Ash assassinates an enemy while in blade storm, nearby enemies lose accuracy due to the lingering smoke effect from teleportation
-His armblades extend while meleeing in the blade storm state
-Should have invulnerability frames when assassinating enemies.

-Melee combo modifier adds strength to Bladestorm's damage
-Highlights the enemy that Ash is aiming at while in the Blade Storm state.

Edited by Vaskadar

The shuriken idea kind of doesn't make sense to me. I'd like it more if stays a pure offensive ability, 'cause Ash isn't Loki who has a beatly ton of utility already. Will help Ash stay more unique.

Here are some of my suggestions:

Shuriken:

-Up the damage;

-Increase number of shurikens thrown with each level as well as Power Strength;

-100% slash or piercing proc chance (aka bleed or weakening).

Smoke Screen:

-Make allies invisible for 30% of the max duration if they're in the AoE of SS.

Teleport:

-Can be used on terrain;

-If used on enemy, does an attack similar to that of Bladestorm.

Bladestorm:

-Up the goddamn speed. Many people suggested that it should create shadow clones on all the affected enemies, and I think it's a good idea. Badass + quick.

PS: That Mark For Death thing was in one of my 'frame concepts (found here (Wiki link): http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Phantom_Bootie_Slap/Warframe_Concept_-_Brutus_-_Assassin_Warframe). Coincidence much? :o

The shuriken idea kind of doesn't make sense to me. I'd like it more if stays a pure offensive ability, 'cause Ash isn't Loki who has a beatly ton of utility already. Will help Ash stay more unique.

Here are some of my suggestions:

Shuriken:

-Up the damage;

-Increase number of shurikens thrown with each level as well as Power Strength;

-100% slash or piercing proc chance (aka bleed or weakening).

Smoke Screen:

-Make allies invisible for 30% of the max duration if they're in the AoE of SS.

Teleport:

-Can be used on terrain;

-If used on enemy, does an attack similar to that of Bladestorm.

Bladestorm:

-Up the ... speed. Many people suggested that it should create shadow clones on all the affected enemies, and I think it's a good idea. Badass + quick.

Agreed 100%

I personally think they should play off the whole 'smoke n' mirrors ninja' theme more. These two powers are in a greater need of reworking.

Kemutai (smoky) Shuriken

All four of these suggestions are pretty important to be added all at once.

-Adding a blinding after-effect to shuriken, via an exploding smoke canister, providing additional melee damage and stealth finishers to debilitated enemies who have been struck.

-Increase the shuriken count from 2 to 3, 4, or 5 shuriken launched at once

-Increase the damage, it was completely decimated due to damage 2.0's changes

-Eliminate the downtime in between shuriken throws

I believe WE NEED THIS. This sets the tone for Ash as a frame with Damaging abilities mixed in with powers of deception.

Smokescreen should be as OP suggested, a smoke could that people can hide in. I also want to see enemies being VERY disoriented by being caught in the radius.

Teleport is a definite yes. I'd like a radial stun, however brief invisibility works quite well.

Bladestorm can't be left as is. If it is going to be long with few targets and 0 ability to aim it there needs to be a reason for that. I'd say that a teleporting ninja killing everything in sight or worse a ninja and 3 shadow clones should cause an effect called pressure. Some units are pressured to run, some crack under the pressure and some gain clarity I.E focus on the mission for the duration of Bladestorm. It should also hit the strongest enemies first so that we get the maximum benefit for your suggested marked for death.