Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kinetica: The Fall Of Humanity (Fan-Fiction)

Jeerome0406

"Are you sure, Madam? It would be prudent to remind you that you also have Kinetica's largest share holder, two banks, and the Governor of Macropolis on hold?"

"The Governor, oh good, almost forgot about him. Put him on." purred Xia, slouching slightly in her cup-shaped chair, fingers stroking the smooth fabric of the armrest. 

Static erupted from an overhead source, then immediately cleared.

"-Miss Covault, I have heard of your terrible loss and I wish to pass on my utmost-"

"Condolences, right?" she said, cutting him off, "You know how it feels to lose a loved one, and the weight of my loss must be tremulous on my frail little heart, right?" Xia mocked in the Governor's solemn tone.

"...Ma'am"

"Save it, Tim, I know exactly why you are calling. His assets, right?"

"Well, not entire-"

"Right then, let's get to business. I am sure you may be under the impression that you need to immediately suck up to the new head of Kinetica, seeing that you were very eager to strike a deal with my father at every waking moment of his life."

"W-You see.."

"I saw, yes I did. I remember my father groaning every time the Office of Macropolis's called about some new scheme you wanted to run by my father, milking his mind and wallet for every ounce it was worth. You and my father struck quite a few deals, am I wrong?"

"B-"

"So allow me to... er what's the word I am looking for..." Xia said, snapping her fingers as she wrinkled her pretty face. "Simon, what's the word I am looking for?" she snapped to her mechanical Butler, whom gave her a startled expression.

"I don't- " chirped Simon.

"Cope! Cope. That's it, thanks Simon." She exclaimed, roughly kicking Simon's metal leg.

"Cope! Time, I need time to cope with the untimely demise of my dearly beloved father."

"Miss Covault. I know you just as much as you know me, and I know there will not be a large amount of coping done in that Penthouse estate of your father's." said the Governor, all signs of remorse and sorrow immediately gone from his voice without a trace.

"MY Penthouse Estate. Thank you very much. And are you suggesting that the death of my father hasn't affected me in any way," she said, spinning in her chair, sporting the biggest grin Cera and Razzo had ever seen on her before. "And that I am purposely denying you conversation on acquiring even more wealth and riches from the vulnerable daughter of one of the richest men of all Macropolis? One might find that a bit cruel, attacking the now orphaned daughter of a deceased man in the attempts at seizing his riches."

Silence answered her over the phone line.

"I wonder how the Attorney General would take this information, seeing as she and I are neighbors. Her immense care for her NIECE would probably not take this information very lightly..."

"ALRIGHT." he spat loudly before breathing deeply. Xia licked her lips and her taunt smirk grew impossibly wider. "You win. Expect my call in a week from today. I do hope that THAT is enough time to COPE." he hissed before cutting off the comm.

She sighed, still grinning ear to ear, and set her comm link down onto the desk in front of her.

Cera and Razzo exchanged uncertain looks to one another before Razzo took a step forward. "Xia?"

Xia was looking at the desk lazily, her eyes drifting slowly across it before finally coming to rest on a dusty picture frame set at its further most edge. She leaned forward and gently picked it up. She gave the dainty frame an almost hungry look, then swiped it with her sleeve a few times and held it to the lamp light on her right.

It was an old photo of a man with rounded glasses, and crinkles around both of his eyes. Just from the picture alone, you could tell he smiled a lot. He had a mix of grey and black hair, which was hard to discern from the picture, and his sideburns lead down to a bushy, yet neat mustache. His mouth was curved and slightly open as if he was whispering a secret to the fidgeting young girl beside him. She had a pouty expression upon her face and long black hair that fell to the small of her back. She seemed to be frowning, but due to some spoken word from the man, was trying not to smile. From her crossed arms, to her half frown, her body language spoke quite plainly that she would have loved to have been any other place in the world than right there, taking a picture.

Xia gave the photo a hard long look as Razzo took careful and quiet steps up to the desk.

Without looking at him, she turned the picture around in her hand to show Razzo. He took the old frame gently in his hands, and smiled warmly. "You were so young." Razzo whispered, watching her expressions carefully.

Xia nodded. She opened her mouth to say something, but nothing came. She blinked a couple times before speaking quieter than a moth, "I don't remember what he told me, what made me smile for that stupid picture. He knew I hated taking pictures and yet every time we did, he could make me sm-." she stopped abruptly.

Razzo's eyes traveled from the picture to Xia's for a brief moment. She bore a look of horrible pain. But faster than a change in tides, a stormy expression crashed over her face. She stood up abruptly and pushed back the chair.

"You are here as, quote on quote, 'friends' right?" she grunted at the two of them.

"Of course," Cera pipped up, finally speaking, "We are your friends, right?" she asked with a degree of uncertainty.

Xia said nothing. She brushed past Simon and snatched the picture frame roughly from Razzo's hand. She set it on the desk without passing him a look, and then paced across the room, stopping at the middle. She crossed her arms, "I don't know sometimes. But the point is, your words are not needed, you are here to just give me a few words of comfort, not understanding the grave amount of pressure that is now on my shoulders. I really don't need that right now."

"No, no we don't understand! That's why we are here to-" Cera started, getting frustrated. "We care for you, we all loved your father and-"

Xia stood up, "Like I said. Your words aren't needed, I know you all loved him, thank you for your kind rehearsed words but they fall upon busy ears, I'm afraid." Xia retorted, maintaining her composure without fail. She paced back over to Simon and whispered a command to her agent, sending him into an adjacent room and out of sight.

Razzo gave Cera a pleading look from over his shoulder, which Cera rolled her eyes in response.

Razzo turned back to Xia, who had stopped on the opposite side of the desk, in front of Razzo. Her shoulders slouched in an almost defeated fashion. Razzo couldn't see her face, but he could tell she was staring at the back of the picture frame.

Razzo flexed his hand unsure of what to say, but feeling an urge to say something.

"He'll..." Xia spoke, her voice empty, "He'll never be there to watch me win the season cup."

Cera scoffed loudly, and leaned on the frame of the doorway. Razzo turned around to give Cera a disgusted look, then turned back to Xia. He raised his hand, intending to comfort her, but thought better of it and drew back.

"I'll never... I'll nev-" she said, struggling to keep her self in control, "I'll never be able to say I love you to him ever again."

Razzo could hear his heart break as Xia, one of the strongest willed women he had ever known, cried right before him. She broke down and sobbed like a child, sinking to her knees, kneeling forward into the front side of the desk. She cried and cried, tears streaming down her cheeks while Razzo could do nothing but try to contain his own emotions. Cera looked from Xia to Razzo with a blank expression and then finally stood up straight.

She stuck her hands into her pockets. It wasn't what she wanted to do, but she knew what was needed. She walked up beside Razzo and offered her hand down to Xia.

Xia looked at it, still sobbing, and then shot up pulling Cera into a full bodied hug that shocked Cera into making a small squeak. Xia wailed on Cera's shoulder, and Cera patted her awkwardly, trying to stay strong, but ended up in tears as well. Razzo hugged his two friends and mourned for the loss of the person that brought them together in the first place.

The three of them embraced in Doctor Covault's office, all crying for all the memories they had shared with the man that changed their lives, for all the memories they would never have the chance to share with him. 

The Covault Penthouse's windows were painted with rain from grim clouds above, even dimming the neon that trimmed the great building, which sat in the middle of a dark and dreary city of Metroscape. All across the city, citizens closed their blinds, shut their doors, and honored the man that made the city one of the last reputable places to live on Earth. Grant Covault's work ensured the cities survival, and with his death, it had suffered an incomparable loss. They lost not only an inventor, a designer, an architect, leader, and adviser, but a father, just as Xia had.

With the king of Kinetica dead, what would become of the empire he left behind?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a taste of my Kinetica Fan-fiction, which is my first attempt at an actual fan fiction based off of the 2001 video game called Kinetica for Playstation 2. As a kid this was something that gave me huge inspiration for settings and character designs. The game sadly wasn't very well known and I found a very small group on fans for the game. My goals for this story is to actually finish it, and to make it good by my standards of reading. This is a rough draft of a portion of what will be about Chapter Two. I hope you all enjoy, comment, and give any advice or critique you can give me. 

All Characters, Locale, and Names of everything Kinetica is owned by SCE Santa Monica Studio, and Sony Computer Entertainment America

Edited by Jeerome0406

Uhm.. no offense but shouldn't you post this in a forum about Kinetica? When I read "Kinetica Fan Fiction" I was thinking of soemthing akin to this.

kinect-kamera-bulk.jpg

I mean, i guess it isn't too off. Warframe Kinect would be the fall of my humanity.

Edited by Valafor