The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Utility Slots For Useless Mods

Vaze

There are loads of all kinds of mods for warframes. But I find myself using only the few useful and absolutely necessary. They are usually the health, shields, power efficiency/strength/range, sprint speed, stamina recharge and two abilities. And look, no more space for other less important or otherwise useless mods. There is no chance in swapping even an unranked Redirection for a maxed Warm Coat.

Mods I never ever ever ever use: resistance mods (only because I tend to fight different factions and don't want to swap them every time), Warm Coat (seriously? 12% max?), Acrobat, Marathon, Heavy Impact, Provoked, Rage, Thief's Wit, Intruder, Undying Will, Aviator, Equilibrium, Reflection, Shock Absorbers, ... and lots of others I don't have.

Simply because they have limited use and take up space for much much better and badly crucial mods.

A long time ago there were only a handful of mods as I remember. Did they number doubled? Tripled? And I still end up using the same mods as before. 

Create a Utility section on the warframe and make only utility-like mods available to install there. Of course with another 30 base points for mod energy cost. That's 10 more sots for mods that will not make a warframe extremely powerful, invincible or anything game breaking.

Even if someone puts all the resistance mods on a frame, Grineer don't use lasers or electricity or ice or toxins. Corpus use the opposite. Infested use only toxins. Corrupted are a mix, but when they are getting strong, it's more about avoiding getting shot than resisting 50%. By then they tear through my Iron Skin, shields and health in mere seconds. And if they are weak, it really doesn't matter if you have reduced damage from lasers if they don't even make it through half of the shields.

I mentioned resistances as a utility. It's because:

- fire resistance is probably a cooler inside the frame and fireproof gel maker or something.

- ice resistance is a bunch of heaters.

- electric resistance is just a bunch of capacitors and grounding cables.

- laser resistance is something that reflects light, absorbs it. A device of some kind made just for that. As opposed to the shield points increase mod that protects from everything.

The solution is in utility slots.

Nope. Nope nope nope.

The point of limited amount of slots is to make you think your builds through, sacrifice mods X for mods Y. Having unlimited slots will ruin the fun of exploration.

Besides, I don't know a single sane person who would ever use resistance mods, or, for example *cough* Intruder. These mods are just useless.

Nope. Nope nope nope.

The point of limited amount of slots is to make you think your builds through, sacrifice mods X for mods Y. Having unlimited slots will ruin the fun of exploration.

Besides, I don't know a single sane person who would ever use resistance mods, or, for example *cough* Intruder. These mods are just useless.

You didn't read, did you?  

I was going to explain to you false choice, noob traps, and drop table clutter and how all of the sub-par mods are actually unhealthy for the game but your last 2 sentences tells me it's not worth my time.  

I'll give you a tl;dr: A way to make use of worthless mods without upsetting the rest of the game.

Edited by Replacement

Nope. Nope nope nope.

The main problem is, that a few mods are NEEDED and a must on your frame (rediraction, vitality, rush etc.) These mods take up a lot of space already and you can't mod for other mods like resistance mods. It is not a problem of thinking your modloadout through, it is just that nearly every loadout is the same. Sure you can go min/maxing some stats like armor on valkyre or duration and powerefficiency but you will not find space for some mods ever since other mods are just way better.

Create a Utility section on the warframe and make only utility-like mods available to install there. Of course with another 30 base points for mod energy cost. That's 10 more sots for mods that will not make a warframe extremely powerful, invincible or anything game breaking.

10 is way too much, 2-4 would be enough if a limitation of the one strict mod type was implemented.

The point of limited amount of slots is to make you think your builds through, sacrifice mods X for mods Y.

There is no mod to sacrifice. Everything is a must have. To survive. No mods X for a bunch of mods Y.

Having unlimited slots will ruin the fun of exploration.

This statement makes no sense. There is nothing new to explore anyway. And RNG works only with mod drops and room placement. Not creating completely new stuff to explore.

10 is way too much, 2-4 would be enough if a limitation of the one strict mod type was implemented.

Yes. 10 is too much. I got carried away by rage :) 1 slot for every type is the best. Like hacking, resistance, melee, parkour.... Problem would be with the polarities of the slots. This needs to be thought through. Maybe the only requirement would be set by warframe level. For only 4-5 type limited slots, it avoids any issues where they have to change/swap polarities every time.... blah blah. Also all the mods should be able to be put in the original 10 slots for an occasional sacrifice and more variety. This way nothing is made worse.

The additional slots can be treated the same way like aura slot (so only 1 mod type can be installed, ofc it requires adding utility type) besides, as you said, these mod can also be installed in basic 10 slots.

Given that the mods in the "useful" tier are so much more important than the mods in the "questionable value" tier having a second tier of slots somehow would allow us to actually use the useful-but-not-that-useful mods once in a while.  The two biggest things that contribute to this are abilities using mod slots and the fact that caster frames (most of them) require 2-5 mod slots to augment abilities, leaving little room for survivablility mods and further customization.