The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

All Those Unused Utilities Need A Home.

Fullmetal_Underpants

A utility mod is any mod that does not outright have an effect on damage done per shot, falls under the description of "gimmicky" or usually winds up getting completely overlooked at almost every instance because it is considered not worth the loss in damage.  reload speed, zoom, clip size, max ammo size, ammo mutation, silencers,  as well as weapon specific mods like firestorm and thunderbolt.

These mods should not give or cost any mod points and should be stored in an additional weapon slot just like stance mods and auras, but on primary and secondary weapons as well as perhaps warframes. the only point in raising the rank of these mods should be to make you work a bit for their maximum benefit and you would of course be limited to one per weapon in the utiilty category. in the case of mutation mods vs max ammo mods, it would give players an excuse to transition from one to the other, making the max ammo mods easier to obtain and to rank up, then upgrade to the mutation mods if they feel they are better for the weapon in hand or type of mission in question. it all boils down to further customization and putting to use things that may not necessarily be all that powerful a mod... to use. mods we would normally ignore because it might get passed over for something like another damage mod that we will just use instead.
it has been mentioned before that utility mods for warframes should be an option as well, i agree and even made a list pointing out the majority of them that should be listed under this category as well.

Primary Weapons
Existing mods:
All Ammo Mutation mods
All Increase Zoom
All Silence mods
All pure reload speed mods
All pure Clip size mods
Tainted Mag
All pure ammo maximum mods
Firestorm

Suggestions:
(Suggested change cause firestorm to add 20% Magazine size)
(Make new mod, opposite of firestorm, "Precise Blast", max -24% blast radius, +10% projectile speed)
(Make New mod, "Teflon Coat", increase projectile speed 40%)
(Make new mod "Stabilizer"  reduce shotgun spread 30%)
(suggest change, makeThunderbolt 100% chance, reduce projectile speed by 25%[takes longer to reach, but becomes explosive])
(suggested change, all pure +clip size mods add 40% to Magazine size)

Secondary Weapons
Pistol Ammo Mutation
Hawk Eye
Suppress
Quickdraw
Slip Magazine
Trick Mag

Suggestions:
(Make New mod, Oxium Rounds, increase projectile speed 40%)
(suggested change, all pure +clip size mods add 40% to Magazine size)

Warframes
Antitoxin
Aviator
Diamond Skin
Enemy Sense
Flame Repellent
Handspring
Heavy Impact
Insulation
Intruder
Lightning Rod
Maglev
Natural Talent
Provoked
Thief's Wit
Undying Will
Warm Coat

Suggestions:
Remove damage factor from heavy impact
Make Warm coat cause outright immunity to shield reduction on surprise cold missions

i was originally thinking that punch through should be a utility stat, and... well to be honest by my original definition it should be, but after some convincing, i was lead to agree that on a good number of weapons, it does significantly increase your damage output in many if not most situations.
Now obviously i have very little expectation that this will be implemented, but since the game has been in beta over a year i figure you guys are still up for suggestions and you do seem to take a lot of them to heart. hopefully some consideration is given to this one and constructive suggestions are entirely welcome.

I'de +1 Resistance mods giving you immunity to certain status effects, not sure that Ammo mutations and Certainly not Firestorm, is as useless as you think tho. I make good use of Rifle mutation on soma, and pistol on Akstiletto.

Ive thought about this since they introduced stance mods and I think its a great idea. I think the only change to firestorm should be from just a blast radius to an aoe increase so it has the same effect on the weapons it already is used on but you can also use it on the torid to make the cloud bigger and maybe help that gun be more usable.

But+1 for the idea I hope they do it

funny they are adding more if you check the nexus

auras for element resistants

-acc on robots

more affinity

amp for all types of weapons

elements added to melee

things like that

Edited by Sasoka

Sounds OK to me, but keep in mind that if you'd introduce these mod slots similarly to the stance/aura mods, they have to add actual points to the build, which is risky in terms of balancing.

I use ammo mutation pretty often.

For guns like Amprex and Wraith twin vipers, they are mandatory.

But I don't agree they should be stance mods.

They should deserve their own slot BUT drain energy as per normal, so you still need to forma moar.

I'de +1 Resistance mods giving you immunity to certain status effects, not sure that Ammo mutations and Certainly not Firestorm, is as useless as you think tho. I make good use of Rifle mutation on soma, and pistol on Akstiletto.

oh i don't think that firestorm is useless at all, however it does increase the likelihood of you offing yourself with penta or ogris and although it does increase affected area, it doesn't increase direct damage. again, mutations are far from useless, but a lot of people end up passing them over for other damage mods in any shorter missions.  resistance mods adding immunity to certain status debuffs... i could see that being interesting, like a corrosive resistance one preventing armor debuffing, mag resistance preventing shield damage... things like that.