The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Build A Hydroid ?

DirtyCouch

Question

Mine is something that is very unusual but it's pretty great deals a lot of dmg and is very helpful in every kind of mission not just def

Btw why did my thread about hideing played time get deleted ? :(

IK2yopl.jpg

Edited by devilxlol

13 answers to this question

Mine is something that is very unusual but it's pretty great deals a lot of dmg and is very helpful in every kind of mission not just def

Btw why did my thread about hideing played time get deleted ? :(

IK2yopl.jpg

Switch Fleeting Expertise with Continuity and it's perfect...

Edit: forgot it was a "V" Polarity

Edited by genthis

Switch Fleeting Expertise with Continuity and it's perfect...

Edit: forgot it was a "V" Polarity

Lol even if it wasn't i am looking for something i can spam while running in any kind of mission like i said i am not tied to only ODD

Why use power strength on Puddlemaster? He needs either duration or range.

That's why i said it was unusual i just spam my skills a lot and deal high dmg it's better since when the forth ability hits it deals a lot of dmg so why waste that over more flapping around ?

How to build Hydroid. Farm Vey Hek for all 3 Parts Build him. Level to 30 place on shelf never play useless frame again.

haters gonna hate

he's a pretty fun frame, I like the build. it makes you more versatile when you have 4 useful abilities, and that's what this build is all about. with blind rage and narrow minded not maxed out, you don't lose too much efficiency or range. and fleeting is a must for spamming skills, which is exactly what you want to be doing. and -range actually makes tempest barrage more precise, which can be good

Here's Why I don't Like him.

1. Visually appealing but inaccurate damage and random droplets make it not viable damage source (However pretty it may be)

2.As effective as all the other "Charge" skills Rhino Charge, Slash Dash etc. (Mostly used for movement not viable for late game)

3. Super ineffective and slows down waves due to enemies being untargetable while trapped inside the puddle (Great troll skill bad skill for general use)

4. Decent Damage except it whips them around the map making shooting said trapped targets near impossible thus slowing down missions.

Why use power strength on Puddlemaster? He needs either duration or range.

With Toggle power I don't see how he needs duration.  The Tentacles don't need to last longer, neither does his tempest, imo being honest power strength + -range = best.

I don't see how people consider Hydroid useless.

I think he's a fun dude. (no innuendo intended, seriously.)

Fun != Useful

Revan listed why Hydroid doesn't offer a whole lot to a team. Doesn't mean that he's not fun, or that he doesn't look cool while doing it. Just that you are better off with another frame if you want CC or anything, really.

Undertow slows down missions because it prevents your team from killing the trapped enemies. You don't want this on Defense, and you especially don't want this on Survival, where you need oxygen drops (huh, a skill that drowns enemies and prevents your team from getting air). If teammates could damage whatever's in the puddle by shooting into it, it might be more worthwhile. It would be a weaker Bastille that would grant Hydroid some safety (none for his sentinel unfortunately, though maybe the sentinel/kubrow should submerge too). Maybe increase the damage taken by enemies in the pool as a tradeoff for not being able to land headshots. Considering how Hydroid's puddle doesn't exactly look like a jacuzzi, Undertow could also waterlog enemies that exit it, slowing their movement and firing speed for a short duration as if they were afflicted by Cold. Anyone who's gone for a swim in cold ocean waters will know what I'm talking about. The length of this debuff would be determined by how long the enemy was submerged (with a cap on how long they would be afflicted by the Cold effect). Items from enemies killed in the puddle, meanwhile, would float to the surface. Obviously this would need to be tweaked to prevent Hydroids from sitting on the pod the entire mission, but that's already a problem that needs to be addressed. This change would just make that strategy viable; i.e., allow players to breeze through content. This is a problem with the game as a whole but this isn't the thread for discussing that.

Tentacle Swarm suffers from a similar problem in that it slows down missions. Sure, it does loads of damage, but after a certain point in an endless mission that matters less and less to where it doesn't matter at all. Enemies trapped in it are also near-impossible to kill. Tornado also has this problem Not sure what could be done about this but I'd like to see a reasonable fix because the skill looks really cool. Also, from what I have heard, each tentacle takes up an enemy "slot" out of the max number of enemies that are allowed to be in a mission at a time. This further slows down missions and makes getting air less reliable since you need to have a constant stream of killing. Shadows of the Dead suffer from this same issue.

Tempest Barrage's knockdown is unreliable since the strikes have a tendency to miss targets. If they had a big splash radius or something it would be a respectable crowd cc ability.

Again, I'm not a "hater," but I do recognize Hydroid's flaws and that they could be refined to work better in a team environment.

And there ain't nothin' wrong with a little pirate booty hydroid_mcnuggies.png

-

As for the build itself, I'm not a fan of Flow on builds without Quick Thinking. With max efficiency, you shouldn't have many energy issues since you're only casting Tentacles every ~14 seconds. In that time, you will likely have picked up an energy orb or two. If you get stuck in a situation where you don't have enough energy, pop an energy restore. So I'd replace Flow with Stretch, maybe, to counteract some of Narrow Minded's reduced range.

I personally wouldn't run Duration, either, since you want to be able to recast Tentacles whenever possible. But this is your build and you're free to suit it to your tastes. Only thing I would change would be Flow.

Edited by Noble_Cactus