The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should The Boltor Prime Be Nerfed?

Neogeo

Ok guys, whether you think the Boltor prime needs a nerf or not, let's please stop slinging mud and bashing each other etc...

Whatever some one's opinion may be about the weapon, they have the right to that opinion.  Threads like this can actually bring about positive changes if you all would spend more time focusing on what is or what isn't wrong/right with a mechanic instead of seeing who can figure out the most clever way to diss/down some one else.

Cleaning this thread up some, so if your post is no longer here, I removed it.  Just an FYI.

Thanks guys

Soma's a shop weapon and Boltor Prime's a prime weapon that must be farmed and built.

Amprex has ridiculous Status, the arguably best innate damage to compliment ridiculous status, and the ability to stun and mass proc status on crowds. Of course Amprex is balanced by having bad range and ammunition economy. If it had the range and economy of a regular assault rifle, it would be ridiculous and violate checks and balances.

Again, the comparison of the Phage, a blueprint Clan-tech weapon and a Prime weapon should be limited to clan-tech weapons being at most equal to Prime weapons, because Prime weapons are rarer. You are committing the common mistake of trying to compare common weapons to rare ones and wanting them to be equal. You suggest to balance "[boltor Prime] to the Soma" when there is literally no reason to. The Boltor Prime is leagues more difficult to get than the Soma and is justifiably more powerful. Even in conventional MMO/RPG logic, the rarer, harder to obtain weapons are usually, if not always better, and Warframe is no exception to this rule. Rare weapons are always at least equal to any clan-tech variants in their weapon class, if not better. And because I believe in proving my arguments with evidence, here's a list of some of the weapon tiers:

It's cheaper to buy the components to the Boltor Prime than a weapon off the market so the rarity argument doesn't work, which is part of the problem I will admit. 

Rarity doesn't exist in Warframe when you can buy prime weapons for less than the cost of an in market weapon. That's why prime weapons need to be balanced to the whole group. Or made significantly higher mastery locked. 

Even then, Many players need to run void missions to get these weapons in the first place. If the top tier market and clan weapons are for the void, and there is nothing above the void in terms of content, then primes need only be as powerful as the top tier weapons for void content. They're rarity should be a status symbol, nothing more. There is absolutely nothing they need to be more powerful than that for. 

I could compare it the other Prime weapons, but it would still come out on top. Latron Prime and Wraith both compete with each other on near even grounds, so why shouldn't Boltor Prime and other high end weapons as well? 

I could compare to the Latron Prime, but the Latron only is functionally competitive to it in infinite scaling missions where most people just don't bother going except to farm prime parts. It takes almost half an hour in T4 before I would say LatronP > BoltorP.

Boar Prime is only roughly as effective as the Boltor Prime, but has a significant loss of range. So it's not exactly a balanced option either. 

It's still king even among prime weapons. 

It's cheaper to buy the components to the Boltor Prime than a weapon off the market so the rarity argument doesn't work, which is part of the problem I will admit. 

Rarity doesn't exist in Warframe when you can buy prime weapons for less than the cost of an in market weapon. That's why prime weapons need to be balanced to the whole group. Or made significantly higher mastery locked. 

Even then, Many players need to run void missions to get these weapons in the first place. If the top tier market and clan weapons are for the void, and there is nothing above the void in terms of content, then primes need only be as powerful as the top tier weapons for void content. They're rarity should be a status symbol, nothing more. There is absolutely nothing they need to be more powerful than that for. 

I could compare it the other Prime weapons, but it would still come out on top. Latron Prime and Wraith both compete with each other on near even grounds, so why shouldn't Boltor Prime and other high end weapons as well? 

I could compare to the Latron Prime, but the Latron only is functionally competitive to it in infinite scaling missions where most people just don't bother going except to farm prime parts. It takes almost half an hour in T4 before I would say LatronP > BoltorP.

Boar Prime is only roughly as effective as the Boltor Prime, but has a significant loss of range. So it's not exactly a balanced option either. 

It's still king even among prime weapons. 

The difference between Latron Prime and Latron Wraith is that Latron Wraith is an event weapon. If you've had experience with a good number of any reputable MMO, you'll know that events, a lot of the time, usually make something extremely powerful more easily accessible or simply hand it out. It encourages participation in those events.

If we apply your argument to the Soma, which should not be equal with Boltor Prime under any circumstance, about how to not judge scaling through infinite content, the Soma is perfectly fine as it is. It's one of the most powerful weapons you can get off the in-game store, which again, if you've had any experience whatsoever with other MMOs, you'll know shop content, especially shops running of in-game currency and not real money currency, are much weaker than random drops or farmed weapons. No matter how you spin it, there is absolutely no reason Boltor Prime should be at the same level as Soma.

Of course, you can bicker with me about how you cannot balance weapons through endless missions, and that is totally fine. The issue here is you are trying to justify a Boltor Prime nerf with a Soma, and if you want the Boltor Prime to be brought down to the level of the current Soma, the current Soma would also have to be nerfed accordingly to fit the rarity principle, because again, Soma has no right to be as powerful. And with that, all other weapons would have to re-adjusted. All Prime weapons at the top of their class, the clan-techs that compliment, and finally the shop weapons must all be brought down to scale. Then we return to the area where people are claiming their Flux Rifles and Dera's are pointless and need a buff.

You argue that you can buy the parts off of market, but you again forget the person selling had to farm it himself. It is still rare, but the player that farmed it judged that that weapon was worth x amount of platinum to him and decided to sell the weapon. It's still rare. Someone has to go out and get it. You can also claim that rarity should only be a status symbol, but this is simply not only wrong, but can be proven through any loot based game. Borderlands 2, Destiny, World of Warcraft, Diablo, any loot centric game, the rarest gear is synonymous with some of the most powerful gear.

The way it stands, because your current shop weapons are already so powerful, and that Prime weapons have every right to be even more so powerful, by a substantial amount due to rarity, which is present in almost any loot centered progression game, Prime weapons have the power they have now. People who have acquired the Prime weapons either farmed for them or bought them off someone else who farmed. A main motivation for farming Prime weapons in particular is because they are innately stronger, but keep a nostalgic feel of the weapons you used to use, providing a familiar feeling while being able to tackle on higher level content. But because of the resistance of the community to realize shop weapons should not be viable for as long as they are in Warframe, to be fair to rarer weapons, they are powerful to the point that it seems pointless, but they still have every right to.