Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

When Does Smokescreen / Invisibility Trigger 4X Damage?

shut

Question

As some of you have noticed, the recent update hit Invisibility and Smokescreen with a massive nerf-- Stealth Multipliers now appear only very inconsistently. I don't have a clue whether it was intentional or not, but with all the recent ramble about "Invisibility OP" and such in the Feedback sections (despite that melee viability is not where the imbalance issues lie), it may very well have been.

So I tried testing out the Stealth multipliers in a couple of solo missions* (with both Invisibility and Smokescreen), and my results... diddly. Stealth multipliers seem to come on and off when Cloaked, and I have absolutely no clue what the trigger is. The only thing that appeared consistent was that stealth multipliers always activated on enemies that were hiding behind cover.

Does anybody know how to force stealth multipliers while cloaked these days?

*EDIT:

We're all plenty aware that hosting-related issues could prevent stealth multipliers since the beginning of time, but that's not what I'm talking about. I did most of my testing in solo mode, and the stealth multipliers were every bit as inconsistent as they were in a squad.

If you don't believe me, feel free to quickly hop into a Terminus mission or something and test it out yourself.

EDIT2:

Mystery solved, thanks to Shuuro. It appears to be physical contact with enemies that disables Stealth multipliers when cloaked (i.e. if your character's body is touching an enemy's while swinging, then they won't receive 4x damage from the swing).

Edited by SortaRandom

20 answers to this question

It works 100% when your host. When you're a client, it bugs out.

Edit: Just did a quick run, like, 1~3 enemies out of 39 in an exterminate mission had a non stealth multiplier. Looked like it happened when enemies were going in/coming out of cover.

Seems like a small hiccup.What do you do to find these inconsistencies with stealth multipliers?

Edit 2: This was done on Ash

Edited by Shuuro

It works 100% when your host. When you're a client, it bugs out.

Tried in solo multiple times, and I can confirm that, sadly, this is not the case.

Try it yourself.

Edited OP.

Edited by SortaRandom

Just did a second run with Loki, first run was with Ash.

Same results, although appearing at different kills.

39 enemies.

3 were non stealth kills.

Seems like a small hiccup, but a hiccup none the less.

Edit: Just did a quick run, like, 1~3 enemies out of 39 in an exterminate mission had a non stealth multiplier. Looked like it happened when enemies were going in/coming out of cover.

Seems like a small hiccup.What do you do to find these inconsistencies with stealth multipliers?

Just did a bit more testing:

- When enemies are behind cover, stealth multipliers activate nearly 100% of the time.

- When enemies are recovering from a stun that happened to them while I was invisible (e.g. Wyrm blast, or a jump attack), then the stealth multiplier activates.

- When enemies are distracted by a Decoy and I'm invisible, then the stealth multiplier activates nearly 100% of the time (tested only on Corpus humans and MOAs). This makes me very fearful regarding whether or not the change was intentional.

- When enemies are in a perfectly normal state and I just turned invisible (no staggers, knockdowns, or distractions since the cloaking), then the stealth multipliers appear relatively rarely. Most hits are white numbers, especially if the enemies are Infested for some reason.

I tried a Breeding Grounds mission using Ash, and only about 30% of cloaked swings had stealth multipliers; the rest were all white numbers. I have absolutely no idea why.

But I need to confirm something first. Do you use coolant leak on your sentinel?

Nope. All of my testing was done using a mid-leveled Wyrm Prime with no Coolant Leak.

Edited by SortaRandom

Yeah. I thought so. I just finished doing more tests.

I know this sounds silly, but I can fully replicate what your experiencing to the point where I can fully control if an enemy is hit with a stealth multiplier or not.

For some reason, if you're walking into an enemy, or your Tenno is touching them while your in stealth, they will react to you, and thus, you'll lose the stealth multiplier bonus. If you walk away so you're not touching them for about half a second, you get the multiplier back.

In short, you have to master your weapons range so you don't end up walking into enemies before you melee them.

Edit: Adding pictures:

Picture when I'm attacking them in stealth from a melee sweet-spot.

fO2xurX.jpg

Picture when I'm attacking an enemy while walking into him

XvY1rrc.jpg

Edited by Shuuro

Yeah. I thought so. I just finished doing more tests.

I know this sounds silly, but I can fully replicate what your experiencing to the point where I can fully control if an enemy is hit with a stealth multiplier or not.

For some reason, if you're walking into an enemy, or Tenno is touching them while your in stealth, they will react to you, and thus, you'll lose the stealth multiplier bonus. If you walk away so you're not touching them for about half a second, you get the multiplier back.

In short, you have to master your weapons range so you don't end up walking into enemies before you melee them.

I'll try this out, thanks. XD

EDIT:

Mother of god, I think you're right. Enemies seem to be receiving Stealth multipliers as long as your body is not physically in contact with theirs.

The one exception was a Sanguine Eximus Ancient (which had an instance of receiving a Multiplier with contact [some white numbers appeared as well], and not receiving a Multiplier when touched by nothing but blade [a yellow number appeared with another attack as well]). 

I'll be testing this out a bit more. Thank you very much, sir. XD

Edited by SortaRandom

No problem. I found it very weird that someone was experiencing this, since I've never heard about it before.

Probably because I'm so used to sweet-spotting enemies with melee I never notice it. Lol.

Well then. That's another mystery solved. Enjoy stealth melee.

No problem. I found it very weird that someone was experiencing this, since I've never heard about it before.

Probably because I'm so used to sweet-spotting enemies with melee I never notice it. Lol.

Well then. That's another mystery solved. Enjoy stealth melee.

After a bit more testing, I was able to get more consistent results. I must've goofed with that Sanguine Eximus thing, because I wasn't able to replicate that no matter how many Eximus units I attacked.

Thanks again for your help! 

I thought it was a relatively well known thing that you could not touch enemies before striking them in order to get the stealth multiplier but good, informative thread for those who didn't realise. 

It is kind of annoying really because weapons like Daggers are even less useful even though they should be the best weapons for stealth kills. Really wish there was some Skyrim style stealth kills possible which daggers got bonus perks for.

I honestly never knew it was a thing. I've kind of made myself learn to be able to kill an enemy as soon as I'm in range.

Why?

Because I'm that one bastard that bring a sword to a gunfight. That's why!

Seriously though. Gotta out-run them bullets yo.

Edited by Shuuro

I thought it was a relatively well known thing that you could not touch enemies before striking them in order to get the stealth multiplier but good, informative thread for those who didn't realise. 

That's never happened to me prior to this update, actually. I could go and hug any enemy before swinging and get the Stealth multiplier just fine (as long as I was cloaked, of course). XD

I do not get any bonus damage, that body tackling thing is stupid like hell. Its freaking impossible to hit the enemies with short weapons without touching them. also when doing a sliding attack you will hit them. Really, really stupid.

Slicing them in half without loosing the buff! check!

Touching them, not allowed. I did not know that the enemies in warframe were sissies.

Edited by .-KG-..-LivingLegend-.