Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Concepts Of Challenge Vs Punishment.

DSpite

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but there's quite a few things that I keep coming across that make me think "why was this done this way, rather then that way?". I will give some examples of what I mean.

Arc Traps: I think the idea itself of having "traps", in game, are a good idea per se. I mean, I love the laser beams in the Void, and the first time I saw them I thought to myself "I see what they have done here, I have to get from here to there and avoid the beams, and if I just disable them, some "vault door" stays locked", but that did not seem to be the case (feel free to correct me) as we could still open doors nearby.

Back on the Arc Trap, If they could be avoided by being careful, I'd be all for it, but I did a bunch of test solo runs, and one particular instance that made me facepalm myself was when a door opened, and lo and behold, the Arc Trap was attached to the other side of the door (have screenshots), now floating in mid air and zapping me. Wat?

EDIT: If you can avoid a zap from this you are a real ninja http://i.imgur.com/ZHVe26r.jpg

Another example is the new flying unit with the poison. It would make sense that when killed it would explode and spray poison in a radius, meaning that players would have to make a tactical decision of when to kill one and when not to, but instead it's - for me anyway - a very hard to see unit against the backgrounds, made even harder to see when it's flying around in a cloud of green goo. I now just Rhino Stomp to kill them - which for the record should not work on a flying unit - just so I don't have to jerk my gun back and forth trying to find or target them.

The point I'm trying to make here is that I would prefer to have a bunch of things in game (mobs/traps/hazards) that are dangerous when not dealt with properly, rather then being dangerous because they have a one-trick-pony ability that is capable of taking you out at inopportune moments.

In my opinion, the best way to kill players is with their own stupidity, rather then brute force. If I lose a chess game, it will be because I have made a mistake, not because my opponent is allowed to randomly insert killed pieces back on the board.

Another example of a mob that works "weird" to me is that drone that drops energy orb mines. If the mob actually launched floating mines that had a slow homing ability and could be destroyed, that to me, would be interesting, but the fact that they can spawn on-mass and drop mines that are not able to be destroyed, is just frustrating. Seeing 8-10 floating mines homing in on me would be far more scary then having to just sidestep what is basically exploding drone poop.

Being killed because of the fact you zig'ed instead of zag'ed teaches you a lesson, but running around a corner to heal up and hide, just to walk straight into an Arc Trap that is sitting inside a wall and can't be killed? Not so much. I don't want things "nerfed", it would be just really nice it they behaved more logically.

To everyone in here that has done missions on Earth, what do you consider more dangerous, the Corpus/Griener running around or those damn wild dogs that re-spawn almost instantly? I bet it's the second. I love the idea, but the almost instant re-spawn is just ... argghhh. If I had to tweak those, I'd make the spawn nest destroyable, and when that happens, the remaining ones run away, at least it would give players something extra to hunt down, rather then make players just get the dogs to chase them to the bad guys and let them fight it out (at least, that's what I do now)

Anyway, just hoping for players feedback. Thanks.

Edited by DSpite

I have suggested this in another thread but why not make those Mutalist Osprey act as suicide bombers. The way they fly is similar to Oxium Ospreys when they are about to do a kamikaze dive on a tenno. So why not, when the Mutalist Osprey finds its target, it starts spewing toxic gas and do a kamikaze dive on a tenno leaving a trail of poison. When the Mutalist Osprey explodes, it deals blast damage and leaves a fog of poison. This way we can still avoid its damage and shoot it down instead of praying to someone up there (RNGods?) that the Mutalist Ospreys would not start spewing those Green Fog of Death.

On a side note, there is a map in Sechura where you can climb this tall post and shoot from there. The Mutalist Ospreys would not be able to reach you with their gas(infested fart? too strong it kills the master race in one go). I have yet to find any location on the other maps of Sechura where there is a place high enough that you wouldn't be targeted by those buggers.

I have suggested this in another thread but why not make those Mutalist Osprey act as suicide bombers. The way they fly is similar to Oxium Ospreys when they are about to do a kamikaze dive on a tenno. So why not, when the Mutalist Osprey finds its target, it starts spewing toxic gas and do a kamikaze dive on a tenno leaving a trail of poison. When the Mutalist Osprey explodes, it deals blast damage and leaves a fog of poison. This way we can still avoid its damage and shoot it down instead of praying to someone up there (RNGods?) that the Mutalist Ospreys would not start spewing those Green Fog of Death.

On a side note, there is a map in Sechura where you can climb this tall post and shoot from there. The Mutalist Ospreys would not be able to reach you with their gas(infested fart? too strong it kills the master race in one go). I have yet to find any location on the other maps of Sechura where there is a place high enough that you wouldn't be targeted by those buggers.

Climb the elevator shaft on the tileset with ziplines

To everyone in here that has done missions on Earth, what do you consider more dangerous, the Corpus/Griener running around or those damn wild dogs that re-spawn almost instantly? I bet it's the second. I love the idea, but the almost instant re-spawn is just ... argghhh. If I had to tweak those, I'd make the spawn nest destroyable, and when that happens, the remaining ones run away, at least it would give players something extra to hunt down, rather then make players just get the dogs to chase them to the bad guys and let them fight it out (at least, that's what I do now)

Anyway, just hoping for players feedback. Thanks.

To answer this question, in my opinion the dogs are much, much more dangerous than the opponent that you are supposed to be fighting.  They are more of a priority target than the Greneer by far.

I also would like to point out that Kubrow Dens are, in fact, targetable and destructible.  When I see any Kubrows on the map I immediately start a Seek & Kill on their nests, because they tend to go after me far more often then they do the Greneer.  When you damage them, btw, if forces them to spawn more, so the best bet is the melee them at the entrance/exit, so that you are also killing the kubrows as they spawn.

To answer this question, in my opinion the dogs are much, much more dangerous than the opponent that you are supposed to be fighting.  They are more of a priority target than the Greneer by far.

I also would like to point out that Kubrow Dens are, in fact, targetable and destructible.  When I see any Kubrows on the map I immediately start a Seek & Kill on their nests, because they tend to go after me far more often then they do the Greneer.  When you damage them, btw, if forces them to spawn more, so the best bet is the melee them at the entrance/exit, so that you are also killing the kubrows as they spawn.

I Have fired on a den only once in passing, I do not recall seeing a health bar, obviously that's my fault, so thanks for telling me, I will try again next time I go past one, It did seem logical that they should be able to be destroyed, but as you can guess, you are usually dealing with the dogs as well :) I now have a 2x Forma gun, so I think they will die when I focus fire them if that is the case.

EDIT: Actually I have recently emptied a full clip into one (was not looking at bars) while racing past, into the "spawn hole", expecting more to come out ... nothing happened. Either they have a TON of health or ... I'm going crazy -.-

Edited by DSpite

I Have fired on a den only once in passing, I do not recall seeing a health bar, obviously that's my fault, so thanks for telling me, I will try again next time I go past one, It did seem logical that they should be able to be destroyed, but as you can guess, you are usually dealing with the dogs as well :) I now have a 2x Forma gun, so I think they will die when I focus fire them if that is the case.

EDIT: Actually I have recently emptied a full clip into one (was not looking at bars) while racing past, into the "spawn hole", expecting more to come out ... nothing happened. Either they have a TON of health or ... I'm going crazy -.-

To an effect if a nest is sabotaged then it would have an exploding animation with vines splintering, hope that helped. And i love your ideas! +1 to you!.

Edited by YashiroSora

What are your thoughts on the Shock Eximus and Grineer Commander? Both of them have abilities that do not require a line of sight and can punish players for no reason in certain situations. Switch Teleport is unavoidable unless you see the Commander first and kill him right away. Shock Eximus is not avoidable when they are hiding behind doors or on different levels above or below you.

Both can potentially lead to a fatal situation without a reliable means to skillfully avoide their attacks. It just comes down to killing them before they can get their attack on you. I would much prefer there be a way to skillfully dodge their abilities than just pressing 4 to win constantly in anticipation they might be around the next corner.